Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher SynScan firmware update

avodcap7

Hi, I was trying to guide the other night, but my skywatcher HEQ5 completely went off track in star alignment, not even close. So I figured, I need to update the firmware. I installed the latest firmware and the latest loader. My synscan is a 5V, which means it has a usb output. I held 8 and 0, it showed the version like in all the tutorials. But when I tried to autodetect a COM port it didn't find it. Was it because of the usb, do I need to use the other connection?

Or do I need to use another loader, since the loader that I downloaded off the skywatcher website said that it was for 3V/4V hand controllers. I would be grateful if someone could help me.

IF there is a version for a V5 hand set then you need to use that one, also did you check the time and date on your handset because if the time & date is out it will put your objects way out also check that your time and dates on your H/set match up with your computer.

Im assuming that this a new mount if so it should have come with the latest firmware on it. hope this helps.

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/ there is firmware for the V5 H/set on here but i can't find the loader (maybe get intouch with sky watcher?)

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bruno said:

IF there is a version for a V5 hand set then you need to use that one, also did you check the time and date on your handset because if the time & date is out it will put your objects way out also check that your time and dates on your H/set match up with your computer.

Im assuming that this a new mount if so it should have come with the latest firmware on it. hope this helps.

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/ there is firmware for the V5 H/set on here but i can't find the loader (maybe get intouch with sky watcher?)

I just booted the telescope back up, set the exact date, nothing else changed, and what do you know! Works like a charm. I think I misclicked the date button somehow. Thought that the problem was the firmware, but it was just my buttery fingers. Thank you for reminding me of such a simple solution!

1 hour ago, avodcap7 said:

check the time and date on your handset because if the time & date is out it will put your objects way out also check that your time and dates on your H/set match up with your computer.

1 hour ago, avodcap7 said:

I just booted the telescope back up, set the exact date, nothing else changed, and what do you know! Works like a charm. I think I misclicked the date button somehow. Thought that the problem was the firmware, but it was just my buttery fingers. Thank you for reminding me of such a simple solution!

Thanks for this, I parked my scope last night then set up for solar observing with my Baader Wedge and issued the command to go to the Sun and it was way out.

I was a bit miffed as I’d been very careful not to move the mount when I’d covered it last night then when I uncovered it today so had a bit of a sulk.

Then I read this thread and remembered that I’d just accepted the date when the handset started up, so parked the scope, again, powered off and on, put in today’s date not yesterday’s date and everything is spot on.

An easy mistake to make, D’Oh. 😊

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to follow-up on this tread. Have you managed to update the firmware on the V5 hand controller. 

I'm struggling to update my controller. The update software doesn't detect the controller when the USB cable is inserted and Device Manager on my laptop (same for my desktop) does list a COM port. The instructions on the Skywatcher website hasn't been updated for this controller as it mentioned using a separate power supply to power the controlled, but the V5 only has the RJ45, RJ11/12 and USB B ports.

EDIT: I should add, I tried connecting the controller (RJ45) cable to the mount (HEQ5) for power and have been able to enter the firmware update screen, but have had no luck in detecting the controller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by deanen
Additional info.

21 hours ago, deanen said:

I just wanted to follow-up on this tread. Have you managed to update the firmware on the V5 hand controller. 

I'm struggling to update my controller. The update software doesn't detect the controller when the USB cable is inserted and Device Manager on my laptop (same for my desktop) does list a COM port. The instructions on the Skywatcher website hasn't been updated for this controller as it mentioned using a separate power supply to power the controlled, but the V5 only has the RJ45, RJ11/12 and USB B ports.

EDIT: I should add, I tried connecting the controller (RJ45) cable to the mount (HEQ5) for power and have been able to enter the firmware update screen, but have had no luck in detecting the controller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Try unchecking the auto detect box for the com port......sounds wrong but I saw a Youtube video of a guy updating firmware and couldn't connect until he unchecked that box....it was one of his tips

• 3 weeks later...

Jiggy thanks for the response and apologies for not providing an update sooner.

Tried out your suggestion without success. I've even bought a Lynx USB RS232 cable and still the same result. I think I might have a dud USB port on the HC.

I'm gonna contact Harrison Telescopes and see if they have solution or are willing to change the controller.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Unfortunately Sky Watcher has left its customers in the dark with respect to the newer HC updates.  The reason the firmware loader can't find the device is because they haven't supplied the needed virtual COM port driver for the USB chip in the HC.  Fortunately this is easily corrected without their "support".

- Go to Device Manager and under "Other devices" you should see one named "USB-Serial Controller D".  You'll notice it has a yellow triangle beside it.  (Bad.)
- Right click on it and select Properties.  Under the General tab in the default status windows you'll see "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)".  This is the root cause of the problem.
- Click the Details tab and select the Hardware Ids property.  This string is how the USB device identifies itself to the host.  The host then tries to find a driver for this but it cannot.  So we'll have to go hunting for one.
- Copy the string and Google it.  You'll see a link for "PL2303 Windows Driver Download USB to UART RS232 Serial" at prolific.com.tw.  This sounds promising.
- Clicking on it should take you to a download page for PL23XX_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v204.zip.  Download it, check it for viruses (my AVG Free found none), then unzip it somewhere.
- You'll find PL23XX-M_LogoDriver_Setup_v204_20201208.exe.  This is the chipset driver installer.  Run it.
- When it's finished look at Device Manager again.  The "USB-Serial Controller D" has been transformed to "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMx)" where COMx is the virtual COM port where the device is now listening.
- You can confirm this by running PL23XX_checkChipVersion_v1020.exe in the unzipped files.  Set the COM port to the value indicated in the name and the result should be "This is a PL-2303 SA chip".  Bingo!
- Now run SynScan Firmware Loader (Ver. 3.3 in my case) and leave Auto-detect COM port checked.  It should find it automatically and start the firmware loading.  I was able to update from 04.39.06 to 04.39.15.

Thank you, Prolific.

Edited by dhinson919
  • Like 2

I suspect it had to do with Synta Tech, SW's (and Celestron's) parent, and Prolific both being based in Taiwan.  Prolific got a bad wrap when fake chips made it into the supply chain but then FTDI had their share of problems with that too.  It's a shame that USB devolved into such a shady business and it's a wonder that anything is compatible with anything else anymore.

36 minutes ago, dhinson919 said:

I suspect it had to do with Synta Tech, SW's (and Celestron's) parent, and Prolific both being based in Taiwan.  Prolific got a bad wrap when fake chips made it into the supply chain but then FTDI had their share of problems with that too.  It's a shame that USB devolved into such a shady business and it's a wonder that anything is compatible with anything else anymore.

Granted FTDI had issues with counterfeit chips, but it's only recently we've seen the equivalent of an EQDIR interface built into the goto systems, so it would have made better sense to use a chipset that is current with wide driver support.  

Dhinson919 thanks for the post Sunday 21:04 great but of advise, really appreciate you taking the time to post, got 2 handsets which would probably be in need of updates, but keep putting it off as I am a great believer in " if it ain't broke,........ " truth be told, wasn't sure how to do it, but with your post feel a lot more confident, thanks Lum.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/01/2021 at 12:59, dhinson919 said:

Unfortunately Sky Watcher has left its customers in the dark with respect to the newer HC updates.  The reason the firmware loader can't find the device is because they haven't supplied the needed virtual COM port driver for the USB chip in the HC.  Fortunately this is easily corrected without their "support".

- Go to Device Manager and under "Other devices" you should see one named "USB-Serial Controller D".  You'll notice it has a yellow triangle beside it.  (Bad.)
- Right click on it and select Properties.  Under the General tab in the default status windows you'll see "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)".  This is the root cause of the problem.
- Click the Details tab and select the Hardware Ids property.  This string is how the USB device identifies itself to the host.  The host then tries to find a driver for this but it cannot.  So we'll have to go hunting for one.
- Copy the string and Google it.  You'll see a link for "PL2303 Windows Driver Download USB to UART RS232 Serial" at prolific.com.tw.  This sounds promising.
- Clicking on it should take you to a download page for PL23XX_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v204.zip.  Download it, check it for viruses (my AVG Free found none), then unzip it somewhere.
- You'll find PL23XX-M_LogoDriver_Setup_v204_20201208.exe.  This is the chipset driver installer.  Run it.
- When it's finished look at Device Manager again.  The "USB-Serial Controller D" has been transformed to "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMx)" where COMx is the virtual COM port where the device is now listening.
- You can confirm this by running PL23XX_checkChipVersion_v1020.exe in the unzipped files.  Set the COM port to the value indicated in the name and the result should be "This is a PL-2303 SA chip".  Bingo!
- Now run SynScan Firmware Loader (Ver. 3.3 in my case) and leave Auto-detect COM port checked.  It should find it automatically and start the firmware loading.  I was able to update from 04.39.06 to 04.39.15.

Thank you, Prolific.

This worked perfectly! Thank you!