Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Corpze

Collimator test - Hotech vs Howie Glatter vs Catseye

So, I have been testing three different kind of lasers, each one is supposed to be the "best" in each category or what you want to call it, the hotech and HG is almost the same, but whit the difference in how you lock it down.
The Catseye is very different in how it works.

I made a Youtube video of my thoughts

https://youtu.be/ERF33hNVieQ

What do you think? which one do you use?

Regards, Daniel

YT-Cover.jpg

• Like 2

nice vid, auto colimator is difficult to use. i use the glatter kit 😀

10 hours ago, faulksy said:

nice vid, auto colimator is difficult to use. i use the glatter kit 😀

I think it becomes easier if you do it a couple of times, but yes, HG is easier to use.

Thanks DirkSteele :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Synq
      Hi I am fairly new with telescopes and I noticed my telescope needed collimation. I preview the collimation at the beginning (tell me please if its alright) however after I finished the secondary mirror kept tilting and not staying in place as seen in the video. This is a Heritage 130P telescope. Please help.
      VID_20201123_161617.mp4
    • By Guanzz
      I want to purchase the AC for optical axis calibration, but after consulting the jim fly, he is not sure whether the tool can be operated on the hyperboloid primary mirror, so has anyone used the catseye autocoliimation tool to perform the optical axis on the sharpstar 150hnt f2.8 Calibration, please share information, thank you
    • By StarGazingSiouxsie
      Hi, 
      Just thought I'd share this in case you haven't seen it already. A recent (September 2020) article added to the Celestron 'Knowledge Base' on collimating SCTs.
      I don't claim to have seen all articles on collimation, but this is defs one of the best that I have seen. 

https://www.celestron.com/blogs/knowledgebase/sct-edgehd-collimation-guide

Siouxsie 
    • By StarMich
      I'm aiming for the best possible field illumination for my Explore Scientific PN208 f/3.9 imaging newtonian. The scope is 5 years old now and while doing maintenance I wanted to do something about the design flaws as well.

With the current secondary holder design it's impossible to center the mirror beneath the focuser. My question is: is this really an issue when the entire primary is visible? I read about optimal field illumination when the secondary is centered, but this isn't achievable with this telescope.

I attached an image showing the (very bad aligned and already degrading) secondary at the moment. This is as far down as I can go, I would need to replace the holder screws with longer threads to go further but I don't know if it would make any difference for field illumination?

Thanks in advance,
      Michael

• By Corpze
      Hi, I have just recieved the last item which was on back order for a couple of months from USA. I already had the Infinity Eyepiece but was waiting for the BlackCat.
      Everything was ordered from FLO and i was very happy with their service.

Instead of writing an essay, i made a video of how I use the tools and how they look, but in short - Theese tools are FAR superior to the Howie glatter, even with the Tublug.

/Daniel

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.