Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacement for Strathspey 10X50

Dear knowledgeable ones. 
I've dropped my Strathspey 10X50 waterproof (they lasted 10 years which is a miracle for me). The bridge is loose and  even when I move it to get both eyepieces in focus, the pin-prick view of stars  isn't quite as good as it was. So I'm looking for a replacement. I love the 6.5 FoV and central focusing (also used for daytime viewing of birds & nature).  I use them tripod mounted for star-gazing (Harma 64 with its height is great for close to zenith viewing) so want a tripod attachment (the Olympus DPS doesn't seem to have one). I've an old Aloma (Tokyo) Comet 15X65  I got way back in the 1970's (not brilliant optics but suffices) so don't need to go bigger and worry that smaller than 50mm objective will result in darker views, even if only slightly. My current thoughts for possible replacements (Strathspey shop seems closed) are

Similar quality: Helios NatureSport-Plus (£78). Am I right in thinking that this should be a bit brighter because the Strathspey is stepped down? [I would never have known because I haven't compared with other binoculars]

Upgrade (?): Nikon Action-EX (£179). I could stretch to this if it is a better binocular

Any  thoughts and comments most welcome

Edited by MikeOram

Steve: thanks for the suggested alternative to the NatureSports.
Peter: I'm sure the APM 10X50ED's are lovely but they are too expensive and I want to have central focusing for more general use.

Things change rapidly: FLO are offering the skymaster pro 15X70 at £125, which has really caught my eye. I've consulted my financial advisers (family) and the current permissions are (1) Get the skymaster pros 15X70's and (2) Get myself an early birthday present of an upgrade to the Strathspeys (the Nikon Action-EX 10X50's or similar). I love my family :) 

Even this is a change from earlier today when the 15X70 pros and Naturesports were negotiated (I think seeing me so excited loosened the purse strings a bit more). I've already fired an email to FLO about getting both the pro's+naturesport's but I'm sure they will understand.

Thanks for John's email @Skipper Billy: I will contact him and see about repairing the Strathspey's. I love them almost as much as I love my 15X65's and would love to get them repaired if the cost isn't too bad (I can see my nascent collection growing already, but don't tell anybody).

So, can anyone advise me on 10X50's similar priced to the Nikon Action-EX's (~£180) with 6.5 degree FoV & central focus. I can't ask for the budget to go up again and expect to live, so no more than £200 but would like to get as good as I can for the money.

Edited by MikeOram

Steve Tonkin did a 6 of the best review of bins for Sky at night mag £100-£200 and the Nikon Action EX 10x50 was the top pair of bins in that review (cant seem to find it just now)

i don't think you'l find any better at £200

I have the 8x40 and 12x50 bins in that range and find them superb

Dear all,

Many thanks for the help. Rather than wondering if a bit more reading and research would find better binos for the money (analysis paralysis), I'm going to go ahead and get the skymaster pro 15X70's and the Nikon Action-Ex 10X50's. What's more, John think he might be able repair my Strathspey's. As I can't get rid of either the Alomo 15X65's or the Strathspeys (too many great things seen through both of them) it seems like I'm going to have some spares, which is never a bad thing.

Thanks again and sorry to bring the clouds in over the Dundee area in time to stop me being able to enjoy my new binos :)

• Like 2

That's them ordered (skymaster pros from FLO; Nikon from Park Cameras). Will post an update and my thoughts when they arrive (and the clouds clear enough)

Thanks again for all the input (and to my family for agreeing without me having to twist arms)