Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter to Scale with Kit Hill Memorial?

I put together this composite image showing the Kit Hill Memorial and Jupiter to scale for a short article on the Caradon Observatory website.

1839278791_ViewtoKitHillLabelledComposite.thumb.jpg.6b3570d45e4ca496a0dc564fa3a98c38.jpg

Trouble is, I'm not entirely sure I've got the scale correct. The same camera was used in both cases, an old Philips webcam, but for the Jupiter shot I used an ED120 & barlow back in May 2016. I think it was a 4x barlow and have scaled the image appropriately (AstroMaster 114 focal length is 1000mm and the ED120 is 900mm, or 3,600mm with the barlow). Unless I'm misremembering and it was a 2x barlow, or if I scaled rather than cropped the original image before uploading to Flickr.

Jupiter.jpg.93c9dfc7a2f6b080a2ccdcf46cf34e27.jpg

Is there anyone who could give me a sanity check on this please? I also need to work on the text of the article to avoid misleading anyone. I was careful not to inadvertently recommend the AstroMaster 114, the scope itself is decent enough but the mount and finder are dreadful.

• Like 1