SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EQ3 tripod change help

I currently have my EQ3 Synscan mounted on a HEQ5 tripod and it's very happy on there. The only trouble is it's a bit heavy for me. OTOH the supplied aluminium tripod, though light, seems too flimsy. Anyone know if there's something in between? I had been looking at the iOptron SmartEQ but decided it's probably not good enough for reliable imaging. However, the 1.25" steel tripod is lighter than the 1.75" one but might still be ok. iOptron also do 1.5" tripods but don't know if they can be adapted for SW mounts or how much they weigh. Now if only I could get a similar tripod for the EQ3 - any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Louise

I have never had a problem with the eq3 aluminium tripod provided it is used at its lowest level, easy in my case with a flippy DSLR and RA polarscope viewer but I never go above 400mm f/l.

Alan

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

I have never had a problem with the eq3 aluminium tripod provided it is used at its lowest level, easy in my case with a flippy DSLR and RA polarscope viewer but I never go above 400mm f/l.

Alan

Hmm… Maybe I'll unpack it and actually try it out. It always just seemed like it's too flimsy. 

Thanks Alan

Louise

• Like 1

I always use my EQ3-2 on the aluminium tripod, and it works well enough for 384 or 480 mm focal length. My garden is very sheltered, however. If you can get your hands on a Vixen wooden tripod for the Great Polaris, that should work well too. They are quite light but very sturdy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I always use my EQ3-2 on the aluminium tripod, and it works well enough for 384 or 480 mm focal length. My garden is very sheltered, however. If you can get your hands on a Vixen wooden tripod for the Great Polaris, that should work well too. They are quite light but very sturdy

Wooden tripods seem very expensive and I can't find the one you mention?

Thanks

Louise

Just now, Thalestris24 said:

Wooden tripods seem very expensive and I can't find the one you mention?

Thanks

Louise

I think Vixen discontinued them quite a while back. My Vixen Great Polaris mount came with one, later they prelaced this with the HAL-130 aluminium version (which is probably more solid than the EQ3-2). The GP-DX I bought from Stu came with a lower version of the wooden tripod (as can be seen below). I have seen the wooden Vixen tripods come up second hand occasionally, but they are quite rare (I guess owners down't want to part with them).

IMG_20200331_195838.thumb.jpg.4c7eb48c6542f098aaea1d60ca1241d3.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robhatherton said:

I think the Celestron CG4 tripod is a bit more substantial than the EQ3 even though I believe the mount beads are the same - if you can source one.

They look the same as the heq5 tripod, which I already have.

Thanks

Louise

1 minute ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

There is a Super Polaris with wooden tripod for sale on ABS-UK

https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=161480

Not sure about the state of the tripod, no photo included

I don't see how a eq3 pro would fit to one? How much does the tripod weigh (on their own)? £200 is an awful lot to pay just for a tripod...

Thanks

Louise

One quick thing to make the standard EQ3 mount a little sturdier, is to drill a hole in the centre of the accessory tray, and add another bolt in the centre, through to the 3 way plastic 'keeper'.

The other thing I've done, but makes it a lot heavier, is to fill each of the square section tubes with fine concrete....    

Just now, Thalestris24 said:

I don't see how a eq3 pro would fit to one? How much does the tripod weigh (on their own)? £200 is an awful lot to pay just for a tripod...

Thanks

Louise

It is rather a lot, but you could sell the SP mount on with the flimsy aluminium tripod (a bit risky, I'll admit). The Super Polaris has the same mounting flange on the tripod as the Great Polaris(-DX). The EQ5 is a clone of  the Great Polaris, and the EQ3 can be seen as a clone of the Super Polaris. Any tripod capable of mounting a Super or Great Polaris can also mount the EQ3 or EQ5. BTW, the HAL-130 tripod is also pretty expensive, and the current model is intended for the newer Sphinx mount, which might have a different mounting flange.

9 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

One quick thing to make the standard EQ3 mount a little sturdier, is to drill a hole in the centre of the accessory tray, and add another bolt in the centre, through to the 3 way plastic 'keeper'.

The other thing I've done, but makes it a lot heavier, is to fill each of the square section tubes with fine concrete....    

Thanks, though I can't really mess about with building materials in the flat...

Louise

9 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

It is rather a lot, but you could sell the SP mount on with the flimsy aluminium tripod (a bit risky, I'll admit). The Super Polaris has the same mounting flange on the tripod as the Great Polaris(-DX). The EQ5 is a clone of  the Great Polaris, and the EQ3 can be seen as a clone of the Super Polaris. Any tripod capable of mounting a Super or Great Polaris can also mount the EQ3 or EQ5. BTW, the HAL-130 tripod is also pretty expensive, and the current model is intended for the newer Sphinx mount, which might have a different mounting flange.

Tripod weight?

11 minutes ago, dobbie said:

i have mine on a Vixen Advanced Polaris APP-TL130 Tripod very light compact but also strong. 

Those tripods look quite good but nobody seems to have them and they're rather expensive. I'll try the supplied Al one - maybe it will do...

Thanks

3 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

The HEQ5 tripod is 5.6 kg, so over twice the weight of the EQ3, and 2 kg heavier than the Vixen GP. I would indeed try the EQ3-2 tripod first.

My ideal tripod has a 50kg payload, weighs 500g, and costs £20...

• Haha 1

I have to admit that even my EQ3-2 with ally tripod is far to heavy for me these days even though I only have to move it 12 feet to get outside, do most of my stuff with a static set up that weighs a few Kg all in.

Alan

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

I have to admit that even my EQ3-2 with ally tripod is far to heavy for me these days even though I only have to move it 12 feet to get outside, do most of my stuff with a static set up that weighs a few Kg all in.

Alan

I'm not sure if I'll be able to manage mine. I'll have to dig the original tripod out of the attic. If it's still too heavy for me then my astro days will be numbered and I'll just have to find a new hobby. Maybe just terrestrial photography - I'd like to do some macro photography. Also more photomicrography - I've not done any in ages. I could do with a better microscope, or at least, better objectives. Good ones are very expensive but at least I wouldn't be limited by my location or the weather! 🙂

Louise