SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

PixInsight WBPP vs BPP artifacts?

Hello everyone

I have noticed that when ever I use WBPP I constantly get artifacts in the MASTER LIGHT?

I have attached an example of 2 master lights, side by side. All subs and settings were the same.

This are the master lights of part of IC 1805, 10 light subs, 240 seconds, darks, flat darks and flats.

I ran both WBPP and BPP on the same exact subs, and in WBPP everything was on AUTO. I picked NEBULA in integration, to focus more on SNR. Same settings in all the rest.

This artifact is CONSTANT anytime I use WBPP. It does not show up in BPP? Its covering the whole image.

On the left is BPP, on the right WBPP? 

BPP vs WBPP.jpg

Edited by oymd

It might be because with WBPP it is now using Average Sigma Clip for a frame number of 10... did you set the sigma thresholds for this? The defaults will not reject much if anything... which is why your things are likely showing up. 

If you want to experiment, lower the Sigma Low to 3 (or maybe even 2.5) from a default of 4 and see what happens. 

(most people do not use Average Sigma Clipping... )

I will  send a note to Roberto... perhaps should have used regular Sigma Clipping in my opinion.

-adam

Edited by ngc1535
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ngc1535 said:

It might be because with WBPP it is now using Average Sigma Clip for a frame number of 10... did you set the sigma thresholds for this? The defaults will not reject much if anything... which is why your things are likely showing up. 

If you want to experiment, lower the Sigma Low to 3 (or maybe even 2.5) from a default of 4 and see what happens. 

(most people do not use Average Sigma Clipping... )

I will  send a note to Roberto... perhaps should have used regular Sigma Clipping in my opinion.

-adam

thanks, will try that