Jump to content


Rosette in Hubble palette... OSC and Hyperstar!

Recommended Posts


This is my version of the Rosette nebula using the Hubble and taken with the ASI071 OSC camera. Telescope was a C925 EdgeHD with Hyperstar lens.


Exposure time: 4hr 50 min in total at unity gain
2hr 00 min (24 x 5 min) Ha
1h 15 min (55 x 5 min) OIII
1hr 35 min (19 x 5 min) SII

This setup is awesome. A few years ago such an image just could’ve been taken with a monochrome ccd.



Edited by Alfredo Beltran
  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites


Thank you all for your comments. I upgraded the capture time in te original post. Full capture details are found on the link when clicking the image.

I took the series of Ha images, then OII and finally SII with the OSC camera. After calibrating I extracted the red channel from Ha and SII images and one of the green channels from the OIII images (there are two because of the Bayer matrix RGGB). 

When stacking, I used drizzle 2x to recover original resolution. Since each image was stacked with one of every four pixels, 2x drizzle produces full resolution stacked images. I did that for each of the channels (Ha, OIII and SII). After that I combined the images assigning SII to red, Ha to green and OIII to blue (Hubble Palette). Then I processed the image as usual. All of the pre and post process was done with PixInsight.

This is possible because the color sensor of this camera has higher QE than previous ones and also because has a very low read noise (key for narrow band as you know).

Let me know if you have any other questions.




Edited by Alfredo Beltran
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By SamK
      Here's a close-up of the chain of dark clouds of the Rosette Nebula using public domain data.
      I've used IPHAS survey H-alpha as luminance with a colour layer derived from the Digitized Sky Survey red/blue channels (transformed to a SHO style turquoise/gold colour layer).
      My own 8'' GSO RC version (last image below) was the inspiration (shown for low-res comparison).
      Some people see "animals" formed from the dark clouds... I see a leaping jaguar top right (or spanner!) and an ostrich bottom left.
      The tiny dark circles to the left of the jaguar's head are referred to as globulettes in Gahm et al (2007). The smaller circles are estimated to have masses of about 1-2 times that of Jupiter and a radius of about 2,000 AU and are speculated to result in the formation of free-floating interstellar planetary-mass objects.
      -Photoshop (with Google Nik Collection for output sharpening and noise reduction)
      -Defect cleaning from the IPHAS frames, stacking and mosaic re-mapping using my own software (which occasionally seems to work)
      -Again, my own processing software to do the red/blue to SHO-style colour mapping and also to make a local contrast layer
      Data acknowledgements:
      -H-alpha survey from the 2.5m Isaac Newton Telescope (www.iphas.org/data.shtml), 120 second frames
      -Red and blue from the ESO Digitized Sky Survey archive DSS2 (archive.eso.org/dss/dss)
      -Star colours from GAIA DR2 Archive (gea.esac.esa.int/archive)
      Unprocessed data here
      Cheers, Sam

    • By rotatux
      The Rosette Nebula, with its inner star cluster NGC2244
      A pseudo-HDR image because it's the combination of several developments from the same stacking result (could not bring out the colored nebula and master the stars in a single dev).
      Gear: Olympus E-PL6 with Skywatcher 130PDS and CC on Omegon EQ-300 tracking RA
      Capture: 10 × 60s × 3200iso, no darks/flats
      Processing: Regim 3.4, Fotoxx 12.01+
      Site: 50km from Paris, usually Bortle 4-5
    • By MarsG76
      This is the SHO result of my first imaging object with the cooled Canon 40D. 
      Through out the imaging, the camera failed a number of times due to condensation buildup inside and so this is a result of two different 40D bodies and sensors. I captured some HAlpha data with the originally cooled 40D before it failed and the second half of the HAlpha, OIII and SII are captured with the second modded and cooled 40D
       Exposures: SII: 30x1200s HII: 30x600s OIII: 30x900s ISO1600
      Telescope: BOSMA Beta RE
       Focal length: 500mm
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.