Narrowband

Rosette in Hubble palette... OSC and Hyperstar!

Hi

This is my version of the Rosette nebula using the Hubble and taken with the ASI071 OSC camera. Telescope was a C925 EdgeHD with Hyperstar lens.

F331DA4E-DC68-4287-8CB6-CE65DA8BE62D.jpeg.363424a53f692ba524e187acd1f62ece.jpeg

Exposure time: 4hr 50 min in total at unity gain
2hr 00 min (24 x 5 min) Ha
1h 15 min (55 x 5 min) OIII
1hr 35 min (19 x 5 min) SII

This setup is awesome. A few years ago such an image just could’ve been taken with a monochrome ccd.

Regards,

Alfredo

Edited by Alfredo Beltran
  • Like 10

Hi

Thank you all for your comments. I upgraded the capture time in te original post. Full capture details are found on the link when clicking the image.

I took the series of Ha images, then OII and finally SII with the OSC camera. After calibrating I extracted the red channel from Ha and SII images and one of the green channels from the OIII images (there are two because of the Bayer matrix RGGB). 

When stacking, I used drizzle 2x to recover original resolution. Since each image was stacked with one of every four pixels, 2x drizzle produces full resolution stacked images. I did that for each of the channels (Ha, OIII and SII). After that I combined the images assigning SII to red, Ha to green and OIII to blue (Hubble Palette). Then I processed the image as usual. All of the pre and post process was done with PixInsight.

This is possible because the color sensor of this camera has higher QE than previous ones and also because has a very low read noise (key for narrow band as you know).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Alfredo

Edited by Alfredo Beltran
  • Like 1