Foam rubber for flightcase

I managed to pick up a nice flight case for £5 just before christmas but its missing a bit of foam. I have looked around the web and either people want stupidly large amounts of cash for a simkple piece of foam or the supplier is dead cheap but in North Carolina so not exactly local.

Anyone got any ideas - had a look through Maplin and RS etc and no luck there either.

I'm in Redhill Surrey so anywhere within say 30 miles is ok so I can pop over and pick it up.

Hi. A_B,

I have no Idea how much you need, but if this is any good to you, you are welcome to it.

It's what has been plucked from my Flight Cases, and I just put it in a box Just in case I had a need for it.

I know it may be difficult to insert it in an orderly fashion, but pieces of Duct Tape can help there.

Anyway, It's yours if you want it.

Ron. :)

11460_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

No its ok Ron - oh I tried ebay and it seemed a non-starter lots of people selling it cheap but with ridiculaous postal costs.

Thats not me being sniffy by the way Ron - I have a little idea I want to try and to pull it off I need a nice clean sheet of foam rubber. Going to electrically cut it ( if it works :) ) so its shaped exactly right for the EPs and accessories.

No rush cos I still have to build the cutting 'tool' yet.

Top secret :)

OK - what you do is this. You make something that looks like a magnet but like a U shape. Its made from wood. Now you stretch a wire across the open end. This is the cutting bit. The wire is attached to a battery - one side to the + one side to the - - the battery makes the wire hot.

Now all you do is cut through the foam using the tool. It does work - its how model airaft wings can be made using a foam shape covered with balsa. One of my exes was an aero modeller. I also had a kit as a kid which was for cutting doll shapes out of polysterene.

I have a bit of fiddling to do to work out the battery sizes, wire thickness and heat required to melt the foam without it being burnt. It has to be hot enough to cut into it but not so hot the foam shrivels.

Are you after the harder polystyrene type of foam then?

I was in Hobbycraft the other day looking for suitable material to make a fan baffle for my dob and they were selling the modelling type foam blocks suitable for hot-wire cutting. It was in the modelling section upstairs.

Nope Ian - just a firm foam like most flight cases have - course if I could find that rubber like stuff some of the cases have I;d be happier. I'm sure the hot wire method will work cos I tried out a small section. Ok the foam almost burst into flame and the smell was awful :) but it kind of worked and I could see with a bit of fiddling about getting it down pat it would work well and I could have a really nice EP case.

My fan project got put on hold cos I broke my sisters Dremel thing for which I still owe her some cash :shock: as soon as I get her a replacement I can carry on with that.

In the meantime I have a mountain of tax return stuff to get off - sighs

Thanks for that guys - I was looking around online and just couldn't find anyone who was useful. The diced stuff wont be any use but its useful for a reference in case my whacky die cutting messes it all up.

I used to get this from a shope in Addlestone but they seem to have closed down and the next nearest place is miles away and never seems to be open.

Mel,

There is a big foam supply warehouse nearby. Can't remember where exactly but its in a village somewhere the other side of Gatwick. I went there and asked about a piece to fit into a box I was making for my Tak. They had loads of stuff all over the place but they were not about to give it away nor sell it cheap.

In the end I bought from foamforcomfort - they cut it accurately (straight cuts) and I did more cutting on a band saw and then glued it back together to make the shape I wanted (also did an eyepiece case).

If you want any straight cuts, bring it round and I'll cut it or you can have a go, its very easy. The gluing is messy though.

Mike

PS You can obviously do curves with a bandsaw too but it has to be all the way through the foam.

Anyone got any ideas - had a look through Maplin and RS etc and no luck there either.

Hi A_B - have a look here: http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/peli_replacement_foam_sets-c-34.html

Granted it's custom foam for Peli cases but you'll probably find something that's pretty close to the dimensions you need. A full replacement foam set for my Peli 1450 is only £9.50 with free delivery.

Col

Thanks guys - I ordered some up from foam for comfort. The article on cloudy nights stole my thunder :)

Problem with my case will be I dont have enough EPs to fill it and the one I have will be replaced as soon as I can get the funds to buy a complete set of Televue and Pentax :p:laugh::lol: No rush there then :lol: :lol: B)

• 2 weeks later...

And heres the finished article. I had to give up on the hot wire cutting method. Just couldnt seem to get the bits I needed to put the cutter together and I ran out of patience in the end and just did it with a craft knife.

Anyway heres the finished thing - its got the Sky-Watcher 38mm Super Wide, A Baader Hyperion 13mm, Sky-Watcher 2" ED Barlow and a Moonlite focus extension tube in it.

• 2 years later...
And heres the finished article.

Hey Astrobaby - was there a pic with this back in 2008? If so, could you post it again? (I'm making my own storage at the moment and any help appreciated). Thanks.

Archived