Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Framing, planning & Field of view when imaging nebulae?

oymd

Good morning everyone

I started last week to have a go at imaging nebula, and it was challenging. I seem to have 2 primary problems, and would appreciate some advice?

1- Framing and orienting is near impossible as opposed to imaging galaxies, as the single sub, even when fully stretched in APT or PI shows nothing, so I can never confirm if I am imaging the right part of the nebula. Live view on APT shows black sky, even when stretched.

I have been advised that this can only be sorted by plate solving and connecting my mount to the PC. I am working on that. 

2- The field of view. So even if I fix problem 1, having looked at  my results so far, and also at astronomy tools, there is no way I will fit the nebulae in my FOV? Do I then image over multiple nights different segments of the nebulae and then do a MOSAIC in PixInsight? Is there any way I can widen the FOV of my setup? A different reducer flattener?

I have attached what I imaged so far, and I have a narrow FOV.

First is CED 214, NGC 7822: 2 sessions over 2 nights, and I barely imaged 2 small areas of the nebula

Second is the Heart Nebula. Again, I imaged only a small part of the nebula.

My setup:

SW ED80mm + SW 0.85x reducer

ASI294MC Pro OSC

Many thanks

Untitled3.png

Heart Nebula processed oriented.png