SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Opticron 10x42 Monocular

An Opticron 10x42 monocular arrived today. 🙂

First impressions are it is a very solid and well made bit of kit.  Tried it in the garden and was impressed with the clarity and brightness of the views it gives and no CA ar all when looking at a lamp post in the bright sunshine. Very compact and light weight and will easily fit in a pocket. Will be used when out on a walk but also for a bit of astro observing. I don’t get on with binoculars so wanted a monocular.

Had a smartphone adapter that is perfect for the monocular. Sort of a telephoto lens for the smartphone. Took a shot of some random foliage ar at the bottom of the garden from inside the house and it does work rather well. All the birds had disappeared as soon as I wanted to take a photo of course. 🙄

Will be interesting to see what sort of astro photo it can take. 🤔

2E9C2EBB-A1FB-4CBF-8D05-2E46F6995040.jpeg

A447FF2B-523E-485F-BAAB-F3110262D62B.jpeg

83AC4381-3F06-4F21-8E4F-72057358BF0C.jpeg

161798A8-5B22-48C3-92C8-3A7F6E155E4D.jpeg

A35371F5-FCA9-4148-948B-6F66DB7F8A1A.jpeg

• Like 6

That sounds like a very encouraging start.  Ever since reading your previous thread about monoculars, I keep thinking of how useful one could be!  Hmm...  food for thought.  And for wallet!

Cheers, Simon

That looks good, I expect you will like it. I got a DBA VHD+ 8x42 a while back and have been happy with it.

I have struggled with binoculars (and binoviewers) and like the simplicity and portability of monoculars.

I've had 10x50 and 10x25 monoculars for years, used for astronomy and terrestrial, but wanted a step up in quality and a step down in magnification.

I had never thought of using it as a telephoto lense for my phone, I will give that a go!

• Like 1

The monocular tripod bracket arrived as well as a small tripod head.🙂

The Opticrom tripod bracket is a very solid aluminium one with a compression ring so clamping is secure but doesn't damage the monocular. The inexpense (£16.95) fluid tripod head from Amazon was a pleasant surprise. Much better than  expected with a solid all aluminium build except for the plastic knob covers. Movement was nice and smooth as well. 👍🏻

I found I had to mount the monoocular this way as I observe with my right eye and the handle got in the way unless it was fitted this way. The tripod is a five section Giottos one that is surprisingly stable for a lightweight compact tripod. 

Never mind a lightweight setup this is a featherweight one that weighs almost nothing. 🙂

C3C0CDA3-6BB7-4068-8FA1-3A061B5BE589.jpeg

CBC7E33B-CD1F-42A3-BB7F-3F3AF5E32354.jpeg

5B0C3FFB-92D8-4680-A48C-1BEC215E2F59.jpeg

F751B69A-8BDA-407B-B24E-1DC5E63D6285.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 5

Looking very nice indeed John.

Before your thread I had placed an order for one of the Hawke Frontier ED 8x42 monoculars as the price on Wex was very good (£78) but they're out of stock so I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

I really wanted the 8x42 version of the Opticron that you have, but I couldn't justify the additional outlay as the 8x42 and 10x42 Opticrons cost the same price and the extra cost over the Hawke wasn't worth it for the amount that I'll use it.

I am however very jealous as that setup looks very nice indeed, so please try not to rave about yours too much or I'll be regretting my decision before I've even received mine and opened the box 🤣.

Ade

• Haha 1

After playing around with it a bit find it works really well with the tripod head facing the “wrong way” with the handle sticking out the front. Seems easier to look through this way. 🙂

Edit:

With something as small as the monocular the handle gets in the way when used the “right” way. 😁

E7E889C5-1F7F-4852-82A9-F4FCF24EFC8A.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

A not so clear night with plenty of cloud and haze around but a few clear patches. I’m impressed by how bright and clear the views are and the pinpoint stars. Spent some time exploring Canis Major which I haven't looked at properly for a while. 👍🏻
Reminds me need to get a cushion for the teak bench that is perfect to lay down on and observe from.. 🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, johninderby said:

After playing around with it a bit find it works really well with the tripod head facing the “wrong way” with the handle sticking out the front. Seems easier to look through this way. 🙂

In best Homer Simpsons words.....Doh!

• Haha 2

A couple of poor shots of the moon just before it disappeared behind the trees. Some work to be done on smartphone camera settings but not that bad for a monocular. 

F42583CC-95FE-4CCF-867B-ED257CD1F85D.jpeg

52065789-0C3C-4C1A-9DBF-9AD5E078FF36.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

On 21/05/2020 at 00:41, johninderby said:

A not so clear night with plenty of cloud and haze around but a few clear patches. I’m impressed by how bright and clear the views are and the pinpoint stars. Spent some time exploring Canis Major which I haven't looked at properly for a while. 👍🏻
Reminds me need to get a cushion for the teak bench that is perfect to lay down on and observe from.. 🙂

"Spent some time exploring Canis Major which I haven't looked at properly for a while". ..:icon_scratch:🤭

As you mentioned laying on your teak bench (so implying viewing the zenith), did you mean Ursa Major, John? If not, and you really were seeing Canis Major in late May, can I have some of whatever you were on that night please??😂😂

Dave