Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan handset only powers on when connected to a computer

On 15/05/2020 at 23:27, ThomasF1234 said:

Hi everyone my synscan GOTO Handset has worked fine for some time on my eq3 Mount. However, tonight it would only power on when connected to the computer. Any ideas?

Any signs that the motors are initialised when the power is switched on ? Also, what version handset ? What are you using to power the mount ? 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Any signs that the motors are initialised when the power is switched on ? Also, what version handset ? What are you using to power the mount ? 

Hi there’s no signs of the motors initialising but when it’s plugged into the computer and I use stellarium it still slews so I’m guessing the power unit is fine. I’m using a 12 volt power supply from Halfords to power it . I’m not exactly sure on the version of the handset but I got it a month or so ago so I’m guessing it’s the latest version.

49 minutes ago, ThomasF1234 said:

Hi there’s no signs of the motors initialising but when it’s plugged into the computer and I use stellarium it still slews so I’m guessing the power unit is fine. I’m using a 12 volt power supply from Halfords to power it . I’m not exactly sure on the version of the handset but I got it a month or so ago so I’m guessing it’s the latest version.

Do you connect through an EQDIR cable or connecting via the handset when using Stellarium ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Do you connect through an EQDIR cable or connecting via the handset when using Stellarium ?

I connect using a usb from the computer to the handset when using stellarium 

20 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Is the handset operable (can you use it to slew the mount) when using it with Stellarium ?

Yeah when it’s plugged into the computer the handset works as normal  and when it’s plugged into stellarium it can slew to objects but the the LCD screen is really dim despite adjusting the settings. However the only time the handset works is when it’s plugged into the computer otherwise it’s completely dead

53 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Can you use the handset's utilities menu to check the voltage ? Do you also have an ethernet cable that you can swap with the handset to mount cable ?

I’ve just tried using a different Ethernet  cable and I’ve tried using a different power supply and still no luck. It says on the mount junction box that it’s 12 volts.  Maybe since no power supply is working it could be the junction box but I’m not sure. Also I’ve just check that a computer USB carries 5v so that could explain Why the handset screen is so dim. So maybe it is the junction box?

Edited by ThomasF1234

12 hours ago, ThomasF1234 said:

It says on the mount junction box that it’s 12 volts.

In the handset's menus go to Utility Func. and then Show information. Scroll down until you find Power Voltage. This will show what voltage the handset is recording when powered from the mount and connected to the computer.

12 hours ago, ThomasF1234 said:

Maybe since no power supply is working it could be the junction box but I’m not sure. Also I’ve just check that a computer USB carries 5v so that could explain Why the handset screen is so dim. So maybe it is the junction box?

If the handset works when connected to the computer and can be used to slew the mount either by using the buttons or through Stellerium the problem could be that either the handset or the motor control board may have damaged or dirty pins on the RJ45 socket. If all else fails and the mount is still under warranty it can be returned for repair/replacement. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

In the handset's menus go to Utility Func. and then Show information. Scroll down until you find Power Voltage. This will show what voltage the handset is recording when powered from the mount and connected to the computer.

If the handset works when connected to the computer and can be used to slew the mount either by using the buttons or through Stellerium the problem could be that either the handset or the motor control board may have damaged or dirty pins on the RJ45 socket. If all else fails and the mount is still under warranty it can be returned for repair/replacement. 

Thank you that makes sense I will check the voltage. Thank you :)