SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Monocular ? 🤔

Looking at buying a reasonable quality monocular as I just don't get on with binoculars. Using bins gives me a headache after a few minutes which I have found out is down to the vision being different in both eyes. A monocular is just so much more comfortable for me to use.

Anyway on the shortlist are these two monoculars. They seem to be fairly decent quality but not too expensive. Wonder if anyone is familiar with one or both of these. Not wearing glasses for observing means eye releif isn’ a big issue.

Opticron BGA 10x42 Monocular

• Field of View: m @1000m - 89
  • Eye Relief (mm) - 16
  • Weight (g) - 285

Hawke ED Endurance 10x42  Monocular

• Field of View: m @1000m - 101
  • Eye Relief (mm) - 13
  • Weight (g) - 325j

D9F5FA17-8F40-4B6F-9244-F1D4B6213BB5.jpeg

03E3BC59-873F-4F40-B82D-80CC6B844893.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

I’m not the least familiar with those monoculars but as no one else has replied, perhaps I can comment.

Just looking at the pics you’ve posted, and going by reputation I’d choose the Opticron. The other looks a bit erm....cheesy if you know what I mean. I wouldn’t be swayed by the ED designation, much depends on the quality of the manufacturing process.

The only monocular I’ve owned, and still have, is my 70s Russian 8x30.  It’s so well made and gives great views that it comes highly recommended, if one can be sourced on the second hand market.  Takes up almost no space in a backpack for walks.  I also have an 80s binocular version of that, similar comments but of course not so super compact.

All the best with the hunt, Ed.

Bit more research is showing  them both having similar quality optics and build quality and both have phase coated prisms. Warrantees are 30 years on the Opticron and lifetime on the Hawke.

So seems to be pretty much a tie. Opticron are £139.00 and Hawbe are £109.00.

Decisions, decisions.. 🤔

If I was spending a lot more would be deciding between the Leica and the Zeiss. 😁

Edited by johninderby

I've no experience with monoculars as such (only telescopes!), but coming at your requirement from a different angle, in a mad moment I wondered about one of these:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/sky-watcher-evoguide-50ed-guidescope.html

Admittedly rather heavier and longer than the other options you're considering, and probably a totally nuts suggestion, but maybe worth a daft thought...

Good luck with your search and decisions!

Cheers, Simon

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I had considered the guidescope option but it would be bigger and heavier and not so pocket friendly. 🤔

Yup, sure.  And you've got me thinking about monoculars!  During this lockdown thing we've been taking long walks most days, and having fun discovering the variety of wildlife within a few miles of home.  To travel light, I usually decide to take either a camera or 8x42 bino, but a wee monocular would slip easily into coat pocket or camera bag...  Ok, can see the advantage!

Back to your original post, I did look through Opticron BGA bino optics a few months back, and they were excellent.  Don't think you'd go too far wrong with that option.

Edited by Chinapig

17 hours ago, johninderby said:

Looking at buying a reasonable quality monocular as I just don't get on with binoculars. Using bins gives me a headache after a few minutes which I have found out is down to the vision being different in both eyes. A monocular is just so much more comfortable for me to use.

Anyway on the shortlist are these two monoculars. They seem to be fairly decent quality but not too expensive. Wonder if anyone is familiar with one or both of these. Not wearing glasses for observing means eye releif isn’ a big issue.

Opticron BGA 10x42 Monocular

• Field of View: m @1000m - 89
  • Eye Relief (mm) - 16
  • Weight (g) - 285

Hawke ED Endurance 10x42  Monocular

• Field of View: m @1000m - 101
  • Eye Relief (mm) - 13
  • Weight (g) - 325j

D9F5FA17-8F40-4B6F-9244-F1D4B6213BB5.jpeg

03E3BC59-873F-4F40-B82D-80CC6B844893.jpeg

Hello John. I, like you prefer monoculars. I have an older Opticron 75mm classic spottingscope. With a 30 x eyepiece it can be hand held reasonably well. But if you look on ebay for 50mm Opticron Mighty Midgit spottingscope. Might be worth a thought.

On 16/05/2020 at 14:07, johninderby said:

Opticron BGA 10x42 monocular ordered. 👍🏻

Will be here tomorrow. 🙂

Hope your new monocular lives up to expectations.  Looking forward to hearing more!