Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Alignment with Syn Scan WiFi

I recently bought the Synscan WiFi for my Heq5 mount.  Managed to get everything connected OK and then tried a star alignment.  When I chose a 1-star alignment on Vega, it slewed to about the right place, I then manually centered the scope and tried to tap on the icon to accept the alignment, but this did nothing, as if the icon was inactive.  When I tried a 2-star alignment (Vega and Arcturus) it accepted my first alignment on Vega OK, but then wouldn't accept the second alignment on Arcturus.  It seems as if it will not accept  the final alignment command.  I've tried on a few different nights and given up and gone back to the handset, which works no problem.  Anyone else had this experience?  I'm using the Android version of the synscan app.  

I am pretty sure that your last two adjustments to centre the star have to be "Up" and "Right" - and that will allow you to tap the icon. 

The reason it is done like this is to ensure that there is consistency regardless of the scale of backlash in the gears.  

Try again bearing this in mind. 

(I have the same app that I use with my AZ GTi and it works like this)

• Like 2

Yep...that got me in the beginning.  It's fairly inconvenient, but what they are trying to do is sure up the gears against the load of the scope so it doesn't droop the distance of the gear play while moving to the next target.

The SynScan APP will DEMAND you tap Up Arrow and/or Right Arrow (or both) before it will allow the alignment complete button to work.  If you look carefully, you can see the "required" arrows blinking....barely.  I can't tell you how many times I pressed complete and moved on only to find I had a scope that wasn't aligned before I noticed the barely blinking arrows.  A quick light tap is all they require, then get right to the Complete button.  Note that the Complete button is grayed out (read that as marginally darkened, but not enough to really notice) until you have done your diligence with the arrows. Once the arrows are happy, the Complete button changes to active color again. You should get an "Alignment Successful" message when all goes well.

I think that in their zeal to make the display night-friendly, they have made some of the indications very difficult to see.

Edited by JonCarleton
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if the instructions actually say this?  Who actually reads instructions these days :)

I only know about it because I read somewhere that Celestron have the same 'rule' on their SE mounts, and guessed it might be the same when the app wouldn't accept my 'Complete' on the first star. 

The thing is, it isn't ALWAYS up and right.  If the slew was lastly right, then it will only be up (assuming you didn't fiddle with the centering manually), likewise, if the last bit of slew was up, then it will only flash right.  If you press both when only one is flashing, it assumes you are doing some kind of manipulation for centering and will wait a moment and flash them both without enabling the Complete button from your initial button mashing.  They really need to find better contrast in the flash and grey-out of their controls in night mode...but once you know, I suppose it is just a fiddly issue.