SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Go-to mounts

I want to put my gso 8" f/6(dob mount) (13kg) ota on a go-to mount . I have shortlisted these

1- skywatcher EQ 6R go-to ( cost : 1,58,400 INR )

2- I-optron CEM40 with polarscope go-to mount (cost : 1,47,000 INR )

3- I-optron CEM40 with I-polar and IstarFi go-to mount (cost : 1,74,000 ).

Which one should I buy ? 

7 hours ago, Jiggy 67 said:

I’m afraid your currency is a mystery to us in the UK 😀 but I have the EQ-R Pro and it’s an excellent mount and will easily handle the payload 

It is in Indian system 😂. Wait I'll convert it into $ , 

1- 2,103$ (skywatcher)

2- 1,952$ (I-optron)

3- 2,311$ (I-optron with istarFi)

7 hours ago, Dr Strange said:

The Skywatcher has better mechanicals. It is likely your best option.

The ioptron one has GPS and wifi option available . Will it make any difference ?

Edited by Krishnam kalra

19 hours ago, Krishnam kalra said:

The ioptron one has GPS and wifi option available . Will it make any difference ?

If you have a smart phone then GPS doesn't matter. You can get that data from your phone. Wifi is nice but can be had via a dongle that you can purchase. As to iOptron... I would look carefully at the reviews and problems people have had with the iOptron product lines then make a decision. GPS and Wifi are not important at all if you end up having to deal with a mount that is a problem.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr Strange said:

If you have a smart phone then GPS doesn't matter. You can get that data from your phone. Wifi is nice but can be had via a dongle that you can purchase. As to iOptron... I would look carefully at the reviews and problems people have had with the iOptron product lines then make a decision. GPS and Wifi are not important at all if you end up having to deal with a mount that is a problem.

There are many Ioptron happy people also out there me being one the quality is a cut above Skywatcher brand  I’ve owned  quite a few skywatcher mounts and they have not all been good the ioptron pay load is better and seems more stable 

12 hours ago, garryblueboy said:

There are many Ioptron happy people also out there me being one the quality is a cut above Skywatcher brand  I’ve owned  quite a few skywatcher mounts and they have not all been good the ioptron pay load is better and seems more stable 

I am sure there are. However over here in the US there were significant quality control and some design issues with all of their mounts as well as customer service problems that were very frustrating. I had a front row seat to some of them. Including the CEM60EC encoder oscillation that was only seen at longer focal lengths. Enough that I am very cautious recommending the brand.

I believe they fixed the encoder problem with a software patch (this was the way to fix it and I am not clear why they didn't do it in the first place). If they have gotten things squared away since then I am glad to hear it as I think the mount concept is a revolutionary one from an engineering perspective. One I think Synta and others will be embracing soon. They also created a product that was a market disruptor and that means better product for a lower cost for us. 

Edited by Dr Strange

The encoder versions had a lot of software problems which I believe is sorted but the brand is relatively new compared to Synta there good and bad in all things but you mostly hear when there is a problem but not to much  when their doing there job I have the CEM 60 and it’s perfect also had several AZ pro all worked well for me I know some of them were problematic but google Sky-Watcher AZEQ6 I owned two both terrible backlash and build very fragile 

On 15/05/2020 at 01:32, Krishnam kalra said:

I want to put my gso 8" f/6(dob mount) (13kg) ota on a go-to mount . I have shortlisted these

1- skywatcher EQ 6R go-to ( cost : 1,58,400 INR )

2- I-optron CEM40 with polarscope go-to mount (cost : 1,47,000 INR )

3- I-optron CEM40 with I-polar and IstarFi go-to mount (cost : 1,74,000 ).

Which one should I buy ? 

Hi Krishnam. What would you like to do with this setup? Imaging or visual/observing? If imaging, choice no.2 and no. 3 are eliminated. The tube of 8" f/6 is simply too long and heavy for CEM40.

3 hours ago, Ishan Mair said:

Hi Krishnam. What would you like to do with this setup? Imaging or visual/observing? If imaging, choice no.2 and no. 3 are eliminated. The tube of 8" f/6 is simply too long and heavy for CEM40.

I would be doing astrophotography 

2 hours ago, Krishnam kalra said:

I would be doing astrophotography 

So that rules out 2 and 3 like I said. You may wish to reconsider your choice of putting the 8" f/6 tube on a mount for astrophotography. It will be a relatively more frustrating and costly way of doing it especially if its your first mount. I am not saying its impossible just quite difficult.

I would bet my money on Skywatcher EQ6R. tried and tested by many. Having said that, I would reiterate what some one else also noted on this thread - the f6 8'' is a long tube. It will act like a sail in slight breeze and resulting in vibrations that will spoil your photos. Also note that the f6 would give you a very short field of view (FOV) making it difficult to capture large DSOs, and galaxy like M31 within the available FOV. You may want to try either 100-120mm APO or a SW 130PDS or 150PDS in case of reflectors.

Check out the ''astronomy tools'' website for calculating FOV.

Guiding and tracking will also require excellent skills with an F6