SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary Nebula targets

I have a small 60 deg prism which sits over the eyepiece, similar to that used by Hartung. This is ideal for separating a small planetary from stars in the FOV.

The stars show a small spectrum, the planetary shows as a steady spot.

simple and easy to use.

100_3436.jpg

Edited by Merlin66
image added
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, markse68 said:

I found that one- I don’t know why I expected it to but it didn’t blink at me- I was quite disappointedI! I wasn’t doing it right though- didn’t realise you had to use a special technique to get it blinking 🤦‍♂️ next time...

Likewise, I’ll have to give it another go with the correct technique because it didn’t blink for me 

20 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I stand no chance of finding IC3568. I can't even find it on skysafari. However I type it in the search it just says item number not found?!

Try putting a space between the IC and the numbers....... or finding if it has another classification... like a PN  number.... Abell .... Sharpless object.....?? etc

Google-time....

http://www.deepskyforum.com/showthread.php?680-Object-of-the-Week-February-1-2015-IC-3568-The-Lemon-Slice-Nebula

There you go.... try these....

IC 3568, PK 123+34.01, UGC 7731, PN G123.6+34.5, ARO 56

Sean.

1 hour ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I stand no chance of finding IC3568. I can't even find it on skysafari. However I type it in the search it just says item number not found?!

Here it is.... no space required for me.

FE3C4BEC-12F8-409D-9400-F8C448D73DC5.png

6F29A482-368E-40E8-BEB5-6E4C9642C2CF.png

3 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

This is all I seem to get, whatever way I enter the ID number..

Screenshot_20200523-193056.png

Which version do you have? Mine is the Pro, with all the extra databases so it may just not be in there. I would have thought it was in Plus though, not sure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Which version do you have? Mine is the Pro, with all the extra databases so it may just not be in there. I would have thought it was in Plus though, not sure.

This might explain it Stu. I think I have the basic which is what I downloaded when I 1st started out. I will have a look at the upgraded versions!

Baz

7 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

This might explain it Stu. I think I have the basic which is what I downloaded when I 1st started out. I will have a look at the upgraded versions!

Baz

Worth waiting till they have their next special offer which they quite often seem to do Baz- I think I got my pro half price. I thought I got the add on databases too but seemingly not- the in app purchase can’t have worked so I’m waiting for them too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes you will need the Pro version. The basic version does leave a lot out. Haven’t used SkySafari in a while though since switching to Luminos.on the iPad.

C90C6C8D-7021-4DA6-A17E-8E22F97D6E2B.png

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, markse68 said:

Worth waiting till they have their next special offer which they quite often seem to do Baz- I think I got my pro half price. I thought I got the add on databases too but seemingly not- the in app purchase can’t have worked so I’m waiting for them too

That’s a good point Mark, if you can wait there is a decent saving to be had. Plus is cheaper and says it contains the entire NGC and IC catalogue so is pretty comprehensive. The only benefit to Pro is the extended catalogues; the main reason I have it is curiousity so I can check out anything I see referenced elsewhere. I’m pretty sure most of what I will ever observe will be in Plus. The only gripe is that you can’t upgrade, you have to buy Pro at the full (or half) price if you want it after getting Plus. It’s a fabulous app though, the best there is in terms of content, features and scope control.  

• Like 1

The OIII filter is definitely a string to your bow regarding the accessories in your camera case. It can make or break on certain objects visually, and in the scheme of things it comes down to seeing conditions as we would all love sky bortle rating 1,2 skies. However, if I can do without using the Olll filter I will, as on most planetary nebula contrast and detail are lacking, even though image brightness is improved and is a must to actually see on certain objects. Initially I will use the filter to distinguish the object in the field of view, first putting a blanket over my head however crazy that may seem (who cares anyway, usually on your own in the dark) as if I can help it, I would rather see an object in its more natural form. From my experience even though O111  filters are great at times visually, at times it can just show a brighter blob on some planetary nebula targets.

• 6 months later...
On 23/05/2020 at 17:38, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Did you ever find this one Baz? I “think” I found it last night using the starsense explorer- it isn’t in the catalog but i used it to find HR 4893 which is and is just on edge of fov of my 20mm ep with the lemon slice on the opposite edge and using SS to confirm field stars. Only a small greyish thing that wasn’t a star even with 5mm ep. Glad I finally found it (I think) though. This starsense definitely makes finding things much easier- though it could get a bit boring if it gets too easy.

Mark

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi Mark,

No I never found this unfortunately. Did you manage to locate it from your urban sky? What us this starsense? It sounds a very helpful tool!

Cheers Mark

Hi Baz, it is really a pretty amazing tool I think- like fitting a DSC without fitting encoders. There's a thread in the mounts forum where a few of us have been playing around with them. It's sold as a package with cheap (ish- well not really ;)) starter scopes by Celestron and runs a cut down version of Sky Safari on your phone but uses the phone camera to plate solve the stars it sees in the sky to fairly accurately work out where its pointing. And it works! But it's a diy project to fit it to your own scope- hopefully that'll change though when Celestron wake up to the potential of what they've got ;)

Mark

• Like 1