SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Ring Nebula M57

Chris

Night of Firsts. First light with a new scope and camera, and first time having success with EAA! Live stacking in SharpCap was lots of fun. 

Scope: StarQuest 102R with RA motor drive

Camera: ZWO ASI120 mm Mini

1.5sec exposures. 

m57_ASI120mm_102f5Achro.png

Edited by Lockie
  • Like 13

Well done, a good first outing. I have never been able to get on with Sharpcap - seems way too complicated to me. So I use Starlight live with my Ultrastar but gradually going over to Jocular which I enjoy using. Mike

• Like 1

Hi Alan, it's this setup. Just bought it from FLO the other day. I've not posted about it before but I'm working on a YT video about the scope. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-starquest/sky-watcher-starquest-102r-f49-achromatic-refractor-telescope.html

plus motor drive here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/sky-watcher-ra-motor-drive-for-starquest-and-az-eq-avant-mounts.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mike JW said:

Well done, a good first outing. I have never been able to get on with Sharpcap - seems way too complicated to me. So I use Starlight live with my Ultrastar but gradually going over to Jocular which I enjoy using. Mike

Thanks. I've never heard of Jocular. I'll take a look.

Jocular is a software written by Martin Meredith who regularly posts in this section. It is free. I like the versatility of it and Martin continues to develop it. I find it very straight forward to use. I am sure Martin will advise you and answer questions. I am not very computer savvy so Martin and Bill (who also uses it) guided me through the download and installation process.  Mike

• Like 1

Hi Lockie, you responded on one of my topics recently, love the results you've got so far! I got the StarQuest 130p, I want to get this same motor drive. Do you think I can expect some similar results? Thanks :)

12 hours ago, Crignog said:

Hi Lockie, you responded on one of my topics recently, love the results you've got so far! I got the StarQuest 130p, I want to get this same motor drive. Do you think I can expect some similar results? Thanks :)

Yes, the 130p has the same f-ratio of f/5 so it's 'fast' enough for imaging. The focal length is similar with the 130p being slightly longer, so the field of view will be slightly less. The focuser on the 130p isn't the most camera friendly so you'll be limited to cameras that you can plug into the focuser like an eyepiece, like the one I used above. 

6 hours ago, Lockie said:

Yes, the 130p has the same f-ratio of f/5 so it's 'fast' enough for imaging. The focal length is similar with the 130p being slightly longer, so the field of view will be slightly less. The focuser on the 130p isn't the most camera friendly so you'll be limited to cameras that you can plug into the focuser like an eyepiece, like the one I used above. 

Appreciate the reply! Do you know if it's possible to modify or change the focuser to help achieve prime focus?

• 7 months later...

Late to the party on this one but thinking of purchasing this scope and mount when they become available and selling my skywatcher skymax 127 which I've hardly used. I see that it can be fitted with an ra motor for tracking when imaging. I'd like a more portable setup than I have at the moment as living in a first floor flat I cannot get the scope mount, tripod down and up the stairs. It's a eq3-2, skywatcher explorer 150p and skymax 127. But as I've never been able to get this kit outside would like more portability so I can take a setup outside and do basic imaging as a bonus and visual. Would you recommend the sky-watcher starquest-102r f/4.9 achromatic refractor telescope. 

@LeeHore7 Remember that starquest is an achromat. That means that stars won't be as pin point as with apo/ED refractors, or reflectors. There will be small halos from chromatic aberration (CA) on brighter stars. I plan to use 130p newton (Heritage OTA, but you can get 130p-ds that has much better focuser) on a tracking mount. It's not much heavier than Starquest 102 but gathers more light and won't suffer from CA. 

Edited by AstroPepe

7 hours ago, LeeHore7 said:

Late to the party on this one but thinking of purchasing this scope and mount when they become available and selling my skywatcher skymax 127 which I've hardly used. I see that it can be fitted with an ra motor for tracking when imaging. I'd like a more portable setup than I have at the moment as living in a first floor flat I cannot get the scope mount, tripod down and up the stairs. It's a eq3-2, skywatcher explorer 150p and skymax 127. But as I've never been able to get this kit outside would like more portability so I can take a setup outside and do basic imaging as a bonus and visual. Would you recommend the sky-watcher starquest-102r f/4.9 achromatic refractor telescope. 

Hi Lee, the Skywatcher 102 R is a vey nice beginner scope for wide field and deep sky object viewing, and as you can see you can do very basic imaging with it, although it's by no means an imaging setup.

As pointed out it's an achromatic refractor so there will be chromatic aberration (purple halos thus bloated stars on images) and the mount being very light weight and the tracking being very basic means you'll get modest exposure times for imaging, but good enough tracking for observing. The RA motor drive only uses 2xAA batteries so these need changing quite regularly.

For the money it really is a very good package indeed, you couldn't expect more for the cost. Although, If you're even slightly more serious about the imaging side of things and you live in a first floor flat I would be very tempted to save for a Skywatcher Star Adventurer mount and a small 70ED refractor.

If you're mainly interested in observing deep sky and dabbling with the Moon and planets and some very basic imaging then the 102 R will be fine,. It's a noticeably lighter setup than 150p EQ3.

If you're into planets mainly they do a 4" Mak version of the StarQuest also. 

Everything depends on budget of course.     

p.s I think you might have posted on my YT channel also so I'll check that out in the morning :) 

Edited by Lockie
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Lockie for your detailed reply, it's means a lot to revcie good instruction from you. I will look at the set ups suggested by yourself. I do have a skymax 127 so may keep that scope set up as going to sell my sw explorer 150p eq3-2 with ra motor to fund hopefully the sw az gti WiFi mount as this seems to be able to image well (obviously not to many members high standards, but enough for me) as I've been looking at this mount, I will research a small ed70 refractor also. The portability is the key for me living in my flat and any basic dso from a refractor would be great. Yes I dud post on your YouTube channel as well, your videos are very informative and clear, keep it up. Clear skies 

• Thanks 1

If you're open to having a goto, the AZ GTI might be a good shout, I've heard good things about it :) You should get away with something like an ED80 on one of those as well, or maybe even something like a 130pds Newtonian which is both an affordable but well respected imaging scope : )   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lockie said:

If you're open to having a goto, the AZ GTI might be a good shout, I've heard good things about it :) You should get away with something like an ED80 on one of those as well, or maybe even something like a 130pds Newtonian which is both an affordable but well respected imaging scope : )   

I have lots of good things about the sw az gti mount also and seen on the astronomy and nature YouTube channel, when they were showcasing the mounts and tripod and they had a skymax 127 on it so I think I'm going to go with that mount. Like you say I could fit a small reflector like the 130pds on it. I'd like to sell my sw explorer 150p eq3-2 with ra motor to fund the mount and tripod when in stock, I bought it in July 2020 and never been outside to use what kind of price am I looking would you say for it, it's in great condition and boxed with manual and tools 

IMG_20210109_191209.jpg

IMG_20210109_190717.jpg

IMG_20201128_174649.jpg

Edited by LeeHore7