Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Make your own Particle Detector

Chris that is really cool, ordering parts tomorrow :)   Need to think about suitable and readily available sources - need to be safe for school use.  Thanks for sharing this :) 

Jim 

1 minute ago, Alien 13 said:

Looked but couldn't find the circuit diagram, have loads of sources like Talumar lenses old military compasses and a block of plutonium somewhere..

Alan

Step away from the dull  strangely warm metal Alan. 

Jim 

2 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Looked but couldn't find the circuit diagram, have loads of sources like Talumar lenses old military compasses and a block of plutonium somewhere..

Alan

of course you do realise the nuke police will be bursting through your door in the middle of the night now... :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alien 13 said:

Looked but couldn't find the circuit diagram,

In the website Chris gave (scoollab) follow the "Project website" link, takes you to their Githb

https://github.com/ozel/DIY_particle_detector/

then in the Readme file down that page  follow "Schematic drawing" link to

https://github.com/ozel/DIY_particle_detector/blob/master/hardware/V1.2/documentation/DIY particle detector schematic v1-2.pdf

Edited by Corncrake
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corncrake said:

then in the Readme file down that page  follow "Schematic drawing" link to...

I'm almost tempted now! A 10x10 array of the things... a 10x10x10 "cube"... a whole
SHED full? "Research" cosmic rays etc. Joking aside, I sense some of similar mind...
And maybe some youngster will be duly inspired? (Ever the "hardware guy"?!?!) 😸

Maybe one day a "Desktop CERN" (or indeed SLAC etc.):
https://news.stanford.edu/2020/01/02/accelerator-chip-research-fight-cancer/  😎

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 15/05/2020 at 08:41, Macavity said:

I'm almost tempted now! A 10x10 array of the things... a 10x10x10 "cube"... a whole
SHED full? "Research" cosmic rays etc. Joking aside, I sense some of similar mind...
And maybe some youngster will be duly inspired? (Ever the "hardware guy"?!?!) 😸

Maybe one day a "Desktop CERN" (or indeed SLAC etc.):
https://news.stanford.edu/2020/01/02/accelerator-chip-research-fight-cancer/  😎

I've just ordered the parts for this Chris (took a while getting round to it) , getting the pcb was a bit tricky  but I think I've ordered the right thing. I'll keep you posted how I get on - be a test of my soldering skills (pretty much non existent) :)  Looking forward to detecting my first alpha particles !!

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, saac said:

Looking forward to detecting my first alpha particles !!

Good luck with that, Jim! I must admit, I tend to buy a "couple of everything"...
Just in case I make a mess of the... "prototype"! I have a house full of... junk? 🥳

8 minutes ago, Macavity said:

Good luck with that, Jim! I must admit, I tend to buy a "couple of everything"...
Just in case I make a mess of the... "prototype"! I have a house full of... junk? 🥳

Ah didn't think of that - supreme arrogance or naivety (like inseparable quarks)  - the pcb comes x 3 at least.  :) 

Jim