Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Essential reading for those who are thinking about getting into Astronomy !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"...but there are definitely times when a Zen calmness will help you through"

That's right!!!! Actually I think amateur astronomy is very zen. Not only because of the patience and calmness you need, but also because its simplicity and pure contemplative joy.

Great read!

Federico

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, anyone got a comprehensive book list of essential literature an astronomy Padawan should read?

Have been on Amazon and there are shedloads of books from Philip's Paperbacks to Astronomy for Dummies.

Is there a must-have book you can recommend?

Hello, anyone got a comprehensive book list of essential literature an astronomy Padawan should read?

Have been on Amazon and there are shedloads of books from Philip's Paperbacks to Astronomy for Dummies.

Is there a must-have book you can recommend?

I would really recommend 'Turn left at Orion'. It's a great read for beginners.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So glad I found this link. I was considering a telescope even as a newbie, and was looking at the different scopes. Now I know I'm going to not look at a scope for months, maybe even a year or so whilst I learn to navigate the sky. Will look to buy a decent pair of binos soon though.

• Like 1

A great article.

I got similar advice from the friendly and enthusiastic people at my local telescope shop in London (the Widescreen Centre). I opted to buy a pretty big telescope, as I have been waiting just about all my life for one, and they helped me make the right decision. I am over the moon with my choice of scope. I went for big aperture, and a good sturdy EQ5 mount within my £500 budget. Had I gone with a fancy computerised system, I would have got half the telescope I ended up with, and I can always add one later once I have mastered the basics. I am reading and learning, and I have joined the BAA, as they have excellent resources and it gives me an end goal. I am looking forward to my first star-party in Regent's Park on Wednesday night, where I hope I shall meet people who are just as excited about the night sky as I am (my London friends have all made strange faces when I told them I'd bought a telescope, their loss).

Hi all Thanks for the thread.

Before the Internet got really going the two books that I used extensively for amateur astronomy was written by a Terence Dickinson: The backyard Astronomer’s guide ISBN 0-921820-11-9

And: Night Watch an Equinox Guide To Viewing The Universe ISBN0-920656-89-7

I found Night Watch in particular, an excellent companion during night outings with a small red night-light and my 4.5 Newtonian poking around the universe.

With its coil bound back I could open to numerous charts to focus on sections of the sky that presents itself. It is tailored to viewing with whatever you have for equipment. I'll have to check out Turn Left at Orion.

Cheers, and Clear Skies.

Thomas

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am interested in a reference book of Messier Objects and have looked at the selection on Amazon.

There are several candidates but although several have the "Look Inside" feature virtually none show extracts of the actual object descriptions. Here is a sample:-

The Deep Sky Companians - The Messier Objects - Levy & O'Mearer

Atlas of The Messier Objects: Highlights of the Deep Sky - Stoyan, Binnewies & Co.

The Observing Guide to the Messier Marathon - Don Machholz

Observing the Messier Objects with a Small Telescope, In the footsteps of a great observer - Philip Pugh

Anybody own one or more of these?

I've got Turn Left at Orion, Pocket Star Atlas and several other reference books but nothing specifically just "Messier".

Experience/appraisal of any of the listed books would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Rooger

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having spent the last ten years serving in the submarine service, I have not found the time to actively spend on a hobby. Now my time in the forces has drawn to close, I can finally start to start to enjoy the sky at night. I am new to astronomy and have found this thread to be of great use. 

Many thanks

gpjones84

The Great Courses has some really good astronomy courses.  They are basically a series of 30 minute lectures that you can download and read at your own pace.  If you keep an eye on them you can get them very cheap from time to time.  I got Hubble for like $10 bucks.  Other courses I have gotten for like $30 bucks.   They are very good courses and give you a very solid foundation in the physics and understanding of the universe, galaxies and our own solar system.  I recommend them quite highly IF you wait to purchase one when its on significant sale....I have bought courses for 30 bucks that normally sell for 650.00 dollars so dont be shocked when you see some of the prices....they regularly go on sale for very, very reasonable prices.

Great read takes me back to the old days when getting out to remote places learning the sky and looking through a friends old tank-site scope. The views i saw have stayed with me all my life. I would also urge all the would be astrophotographers to get out with a camera and snap away it gets you accustomed to cold nights damp feet and cloud dodging.

• 2 months later...

First of all I would like to say hallo to everyone and please excuse my english (schooldays are longtime gone ...).

I just wanted to signal what has been for me the absolute best beginner's book in respect of finding your way through constellations (and much more !).

The stars: a new way to see them - http://www.amazon.com/The-Stars-New-Way-Them/dp/0395248302

by H. A. Rey. 

It is unfortunately impossible to find it here in Italy, but you lucky english speaking stargazers can easily find it in the web !

My French edition of 1977 has been following me ever since and I can't wait my grandsons to be old enough to appreciate it.

Ciao to everybody and "cieli sereni" (clear skies)

• Like 1