SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pier possibility & aesthetics/alternative uses.

vineyard

Hello,

So I think my better half may be amenable to a pier being put in a corner in the garden.  Negotiations are continuing :)

One thing that would certainly help the case is if the pier could also be used for other purposes during the daytime.  Particularly if it could be used for potting.  Which I think means a pier at about the height of a kitchen work top (90cm, although another 10-20cm on top would probably be ok), with the ability to screw in a square work surface on top of it, which can then be unscrewed and removed.  This could then be used for potting plants on (or to put utensils etc while bbq'ing).

For telescope use, I'd have to then put an extension on top of that (to get sufficient elevation to be able to clear one side of the garden).  Currently I use a Berlebach fully extended (130cm) with a 40cm extension on top of that, with the mount then sitting on top of that.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to get maybe even 10-20cm higher (just to be able to get a bit more sky but it's not that important - also if I put a levelling adapter plate in, then that would give a bit of extra height anyway).  This is for AP.

So that means an extension of about 60-80cm on top of the 90-110 cm pier (levelling plate not included).

I don't mind screwing & unscrewing the extension bit on.  The mount itself will only be an HEQ5Pro (maybe max one level up from that in the future) - I use a 4" frac mostly, and maybe one day might go up to an 6" (frac or reflector) or max run two 4" scopes at the same time.  But nothing super big or heavy.

Is this a daft idea?  Is it even possible?

Also, would folks mind sharing photos showing piers being used for other purposes to help build the case :)?

Thank you & stay safe,

Vin

I knew not that there was such a thing, but upon googling...hmm.  Not sure I'd get permission to take it all the way up to 170cm but ideas are being germinated.  It could be painted, it could hold little pots in it, it could have vegetables & various green creepers growing up the side and camouflage it 😂 Thank you - will keep up sleeve for next round of negotiations!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Robert Hayes said:

Perhaps a sundial. Then pop it off and put your extension on/in?

Good idea!  Its off for this season as the vegetable growing has usurped the spot for now, but...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vin,

Here is a thought...

Make a list of all the things you do for your better half. Include everything you have compromised on or where she has insisted on something. (I am sure there will be a list) Then explain how it is not a good idea to compromise on the siting and design of the pier and trying to make it do other things. Explain how you are only looking for a small corner and it could be painted any colour she likes, but please don't mess up a design just because... Promise her a new pair of shoes or handbag, or maybe that potted plant she had her eye on...

Good luck.

Gordon.

• Haha 1

I suppose I’m lucky in having another half who has interests and does things herself. Painting, pottery, sculpture ....  That means there’s kit, equipment, “stuff” around the place.   Oh ... and there are various guitars, ukuleles and music stands and books around. You can’t have a house and a garden looking like something from the ideal home exhibition and do things.  If you keep having to hide stuff away you just end up not doing things. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

I was suddenly reminded of the (good old) "Trig Point". 🥳

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpg.140405a7fc305098db37725854546256.jpg

Not the MOST aesthetic of things, maybe. But it does
demonstrate dual functionality - Unobstrusive use of
precision optics etc. The method of attachment has
often presented me with sense of "I Wonder how..."?!? 😛

Edited by Macavity

1 hour ago, Macavity said:

I was suddenly reminded of the (good old) "Trig Point". 🥳

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpg.140405a7fc305098db37725854546256.jpg

Not the MOST aesthetic of things, maybe. But it does
demonstrate dual functionality - Unobstrusive use of
precision optics etc. The method of attachment has
often presented me with sense of "I Wonder how..."?!? 😛

Do you mean "how to attach a telescope mount to one?  If so, all you have to do is fit a plate to the bottom of the mount and then rawlbolt the plate to the pier.     🙂

• Haha 1

How they got it there is often my thought. Didn’t they sometimes carry all the necessary sand, cement etc up there and make them in situ?  From a certain point of view they are thing of beauty though aren’t they? 

• Like 1

Heheh, Pete. 🙃 Nah, I think we "know" how to fix mounts to pillars. Bolts? lol
But then, some sort of "bolt covering" structure is needed for max. aesthetic? 🥳

I had casually noticed that the top of Trig Points only had shallow slot-like
structures which (presumably) surveyors used as attachment points. Maybe
they just rest their theodolites on/in them. lol. But we / I  digress... 🤣

IMO (and it is humble!) pillars/mounts can be a bit "over-engineered". Something
reasonably SOLID/HEAVY fixed to a patio/whatever area worked for me. In fact my
"permanent" Obsy., mount is basically a Skywatcher Pier with feet sitting in three
metal "cups" (copper pipe ends) cemented into brick plinths for added height...
In retrospect a bit DAFT... but works OK. But I am the only one who sees it!?! 😏

Edited by Macavity

I used 12 of those tapered concrete wotsits to hold up/down my observatory and pier.
I should have asked for a discount for bulk! Or free capstones?

A Druid. Esq. :p

P1270594 rsz.JPG

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Bukko said:

Hi Vin,

Here is a thought...

Make a list of all the things you do for your better half. Include everything you have compromised on or where she has insisted on something. (I am sure there will be a list) Then explain how it is not a good idea to compromise on the siting and design of the pier and trying to make it do other things. Explain how you are only looking for a small corner and it could be painted any colour she likes, but please don't mess up a design just because... Promise her a new pair of shoes or handbag, or maybe that potted plant she had her eye on...

Good luck.

Gordon.

21 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I suppose I’m lucky in having another half who has interests and does things herself. Painting, pottery, sculpture ....  That means there’s kit, equipment, “stuff” around the place.   Oh ... and there are various guitars, ukuleles and music stands and books around. You can’t have a house and a garden looking like something from the ideal home exhibition and do things.  If you keep having to hide stuff away you just end up not doing things. 

I should be fair - she is v supportive. The wrinkle has been that I can see Polaris only from one small area & we have had veggie beds there.  So we're going to have to wait a season till things finish growing, and then jig things around.

I wouldn't dare offer her a handbag, b/c I'd rightly get clobbered with it for thinking that I needed to incentivise her :) 

Stay safe all.

(PS - has anyone got any feedback on these [Piertech] adjustable height piers?)

• Like 2