Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron powerseeker 114eq help!

as the sky darkens when the sun has dropped, so maybe 9PM, this is the projection for where I am, circled in red are venus and mercury. Just hope there's no contrails obscuring them tomorrow as tonight was a drag as they just hung there and didn't drift away.

image.png.e61ee0261b84f6e0638b2a2c0f3ba82f.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jennifere20 said:

Thankyou! I’m gutted. Thought it would have been out tonight! 

A quick tip for moon observing; concentrate on the terminator - the line up and down where the shadow joins the lit part. 

The shadows create depth and perspective so you can see features such as mountains and craters very well. It changes every night so there's always something new to see.

A moon map is handy. It's nice to know what you're looking at!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grzyboo.MoonAtlas3D

£1.50 from The Works

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/astronomy-books/philips-moon-map-2018/9781849074889

Don't forget your view through a Newtonian telescope is upside down & reversed left/right. 😉

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet

Yes I’m getting more used to it now. It’s just when I get the moon in my scope I have to keep moving my scope slightly until it get it where I want it as I haven’t got the hand of the motion controls yet. 

2 minutes ago, Jennifere20 said:

Yes I’m getting more used to it now. It’s just when I get the moon in my scope I have to keep moving my scope slightly until it get it where I want it as I haven’t got the hand of the motion controls yet. 

To follow an object across the sky, you only have to move the right ascension axis and nothing else, provided that you are properly polar aligned. There should be a knob somewhere to move the right ascension or declination axis. Use the right ascension knob only.

Edited by Nerf_Caching