SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A new? better shorter, more well balanced newton telescope design

Astrofail

Thinking about ways to not have your imaging train sticking straight out from the side of the tube torquing the scope in all funny ways possible. So, I put down my thinking on paper. For all I know might very well only be good for wiping my Bottom with but maybe someone can detail it to me in a more precise, scientific way why ...

https://imagebin.ca/v/5MI0ZnL6xius

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Astrofail said:

Thinking about ways to not have your imaging train sticking straight out from the side of the tube torquing the scope in all funny ways possible. So, I put down my thinking on paper. For all I know might very well only be good for wiping my Bottom with but maybe someone can detail it to me in a more precise, scientific way why ...

https://imagebin.ca/v/5MI0ZnL6xius

Perfectly possible, but it will require more back focus and hence a larger secondary mirror.

Why not place you imaging train such that it points in towards the mount. This minimises its effects.

Regards Andrew 

Nice idea but it would require a larger than normal secondary mirror that would be similar in size to one that directs the beam through a hole in the primary.  Have not figured out though if your design would give a correct oriented image yet which could be useful.

Alan

To achieve the configuration shown in the diagram would involve the use of a secondary mirror in excess of 50%, not "fatal" for imaging but still not desirable.  A refracting re-imaging system replacing the second diverting flat would be better and could relay the image to the camera much in the manner of a periscope.  A Mersenne telescope arrangement could achieve a similar result.     🙂

How about using a standard reflector set up, right angle prism to point down to the base and a long optical lens set up to place your imaging rig at the back.  Basically a small long telescope with a diagonal that fits into a standard 2" focuser.

Something like this has been done before a long time ago, If I'm correct it has been done by a guy in UK.
And if I'm correct(again) he did the same with a Cassegrain.
I do have a picture of it... some where on one of my old HD's.

And btw you will need a third mirror.

A better approach would be simply tilting the secondary mirror at a steeper angle.
That secondary mirror will be larger also, but you don't need that third anymore.

• Like 1