SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Globular cluster M14 LRGB - 12 May 2020

geoflewis

Here is my new version of the globular cluster M14 for my Messier collection, captured on the night of 11-12 May 2020. The image was captured with my QSI583wsg-5 camera attached to my C14XLT+x0.63 Optec telecompressor lens, using Astronomic Type II LRGB filters. The capture details are: L=19x120s, RGB=9x120s each.

M14_LRGB_IP_PS.thumb.jpg.98be4ff3a0aee95f199db7b11d4e640b.jpg

It updates my only previous version which was a wide field image taken with a DSLR and 4" APO from my former light polluted Surrey home in July 2015.

Thanks for looking, comments and feedback are welcome.

• Like 13

Very nice. From the info you give, I get a f/l of 2463mm for your system. I guess not much cropping, if any, needed to get tight in on the core, which is brilliant by the way!

• Like 1

Thanks Paul, yes just a minimal 10px crop to all edges to remove stacking artefacts. Your calculation of my FL looks correct as the native C14 is stated as 3910mm and the x0.63 Optec lens brings that down to 2463.7mm, but since the primary mirror is moved in focussing then the actual FL is variable. That said, once the C14 is roughly focussed, I lock it down, performing fine autofocus using a Moonlite stepper motor focuser.

Lovely pic Geof, mind blowing how many stars?

Well done.

I love studying photo's of globular/open clusters as these are what I see most with my setup.

I have viewed M13, so will now try and view M14.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Mick H said:

Lovely pic Geof, mind blowing how many stars?

Well done.

I love studying photo's of globular/open clusters as these are what I see most with my setup.

I have viewed M13, so will now try and view M14.

Thanks Mick, M13 is the outstanding globular cluster of the northern hemisphere, but I too enjoy looking at other globs, so yes take a look. There are several coming round this time of year, so it can be a bit 'same as', but if you give yourself time at the eyepiece you'll start to notice the differences.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Geof, thats a great image. The core looks almost 3D. I'm very impressed with that. Must have taken a lot of time processing.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I'm pleased that you like it. I also saw that 3D effect - sadly I kept thinking that it looked like the Covid virus images that have been all over the TV 😮. Processing wasn't too bad as the data was pretty clean and not too much of it, probably about 3-4 hours all in, so maybe twice as long processing as it took to capture. I did it in stages, calibration and stacking of each LRGB channel, star registration of the stacks using Registar, then the post processing.

• Like 1

Thanks Donal, I think that the 3D effect comes with the image scale getting us up close and personal. Also those gold (red) stars do seem to pop out of the cluster; I do wonder if they are a bit too saturated, but I'm usually quite gentle with pushing the colours, so hopefully it's ok.

• Like 1