30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

New members

Guest telescope4u

Guest telescope4u

Tell us your favourite exeperience.

Was is getting your new scope, seeing Saturn for the first time or being so close to the moon? Please share.

04.25am - you having trouble sleeping Damien or is your prostate playing up?

Finding Saturn for the first time - last Christmas Eve. My daughter wanted to come out with me. Using a very old 60mm refractor. Didn't really know what I was doing but knew Saturn was rising late somewhere in the east. Went out and looked at a few things I could find - orion nebula, M45, Mars, M31. Saw a bright star low on the horizon behind the trees but couldn't get a clear view. Thought it might not be round! Kept watching it through the window in between playing games and wrapping presents. Went out again a midnight and there it was under low power - a tiny little thing but definitely rings. High power very difficult with narrow FOV and alt az mount but got there in the end. Rachel very excited.

It's one thing finding something new and exciting but sharing it with someone else is a bit special esp midnight Christmas Eve

Newish member. Can't really say what was the "best moment", but seeing 4 moons of Jupiter and following them over several nights - and they moved - wow. Saturn and the rings and then finally, after a Winter of frustration, seeing M57 on the first night with my new lX90 (never looked through my cheapy Newtonian again).

All were moments of great pleasure and gave a sense of wonder at the sheer majesty of the universe.

Tom

Three best moments so far.

Finding this forum

Finally making a decision on what scope to get after endless months of research and a very

numb brain.

Getting the scope to point at saturn and then looking through the eye piece, a lift me off the floor moment.

M2

My best moment was recently seeing Saturn for the first time, it is relatively easy to find, small but spectacular also while looking for Saturn I saw the M44 cluster in the finder scope and spent time looking at that. The longer I looked, the more stars I saw!

This, for me, leads on to research for finding and viewing other clusters and then galaxies.

Lots more to see!

Darron

Another vote for finding this forum :lol: i saw someone link to here on the sky at night forums. Been reading books on Astronomy for a long time now and ive decided to study it as well get a telescope.

Posted a thread a few days ago asking for advice on what telescope to buy, the one pointed out to me i didnt even know about and ive just ordered it - my best experience so far id imagine.

The only thing i think will top is taking a picture to be proud of with it :)