Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M57 - The Ring Nebula

Laurin Dave

An early Ring Nebula imaged with an Esprit150/ASI1600mm on a Mesu, it was just rising over the trees as astro-darkness fell.  3 hrs each RGB and 3 hrs Ha taken over the last week.  Processed in APP, Pixinsight and Photoshop..  I don't yet have enough Ha to show the outer ring in any detail and adding it to the Red channel proved unnecessary.  I did use it though after sharpening in Pi using deconvolution and  merging it with a deconvolved RGB pseudo luminance to sharpen the RGB.  Also visible faintly above left of M57 is barred spiral galaxy IC1296.   M57 is approximately 1.5 x1 .0 arc minutes, the image is presented at the native pixel scale of 0.73"/pp

Thanks for looking

Dave

M57_HaRGB_Final_Crop_12May20.png.1714fa2d234e9e8ce60a30ddfe3ccc56.png

• Like 20

1 minute ago, gorann said:

Very nice Dave! Will you be able to collect enough Ha for the outer rings before nights get too bright even in Berkshire?

Thanks Goran..  the forecast is for more clear skies later this week so hopefully I will..  but there's plenty of time from late July onwards to do so if I cant..    I hadn't realised quite how small it was .. only 3 times the size of Jupiter in areal extent! 

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Thanks Goran..  the forecast is for more clear skies later this week so hopefully I will..  but there's plenty of time from late July onwards to do so if I cant..    I hadn't realised quite how small it was .. only 3 times the size of Jupiter in areal extent! 

Dave

Good luck Dave!  Amasing to me that you have such a short break in your astrodarkness - but then I will get my nearly eternal nights winter....

Clear skies this week have allowed the gathering of some Moon free Ha which I have now added. The outer halo is now visible (although somewhat noisy) and the increased signal has permitted greater sharpening.  I've posted both the HaRGB and the de-convolved Ha, the central star (known as a Planetary Nebula Nucleus (PNN)) is very dim in Ha presumably because it is predominantly composed of Carbon and Oxygen.

Thanks to @gorann for encouraging me to continue data gathering and thanks for looking

Dave

ps Goran astro dark here is now only two hours a night reducing to 1 hour by the end of next week ..  (but Ha in nautical dark still seems to work)

M57_HaRGB_Halo_NoHalo_Merge_15May20_Final_Crop.png.baf85d6530900862282f982af22c926e.png

Ha_All_DeconvMerge_Stretch_crop.png.d32185be2c9467b40b12c18faaa683b7.png

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 3