SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Olympus EPM-1 for AP

BS269

I’ve been looking for a camera for AP and my parents dug out their Olympus EPM-1 in the hope it would work for me. It’s a Mirrorless camera so I could attach it to my telescope, has a 4/3 sensor size, decent ISO range, live view with a 2x crop and HD video, bulb mode, RAW option and it appears I can plug a remote shutter control into it as well. 

Has anyone used this camera before and could tell me how good it is for AP? Is there software similar to what canon provides that will allow me to control the camera from a laptop?? 

I am not aiming for deep space imaging yet as I don’t have the equipment for it, I’m just going for the planets and the moon for now.

I’ve added a link below of the specs for this camera, if anyone could have a look through it and tell me what you think I’d be very grateful! I was going to buy a canon 450d but if the Olympus can do the job I’d rather save myself £100 (to spend on other Astro equipment of course).

cheers!

https://www.cnet.com/products/olympus-pen-e-pm1/specs/

I have a Panasonic GF1 - which is similar. I am just beginning but not being able to view the image on a laptop via USB for focusing, or to send to astronomy.net for plate solving is real pain. Not having a go to mount I had to make numerous trips with the SD card to check I was pointing in the right direction. I am also seeing a lot of sensor noise above ISO400, and what looks like amp glow. So depending on your budget, I would say £100 might be well spent - but it depends on what you are trying to do I guess. I am certainly considering that route, or saving up for a dedicated astro camera