SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Voyager Questions

I thought it might be useful to start a thread dedicated to questions about the astrophotography automation software Voyager.

I know there are several SGL members out there currently using it and several more, including me, trialling it so it would be great to have a thread to ask questions in.

I have three currently:-

1. I am not entirely sure yet whether settings in the DragScript or those within a sequence take precedence?

2. Can I leave all my guide settings set up but NOT actually use guiding for a test session (that way I can test some more stuff during the day when there actually aren't any stars to guide on!)

3. Similar to 2. above - can I disengage autofocusing for the same reason, especially as I already know that the built in focus and test star acquisition in Voyager works very well.

Steve,

I should have read your post more carefully. You were referring to Dome control in the Dashboard not in general.

The dashboard although it has the capability to control voyager its primary role is to allow supervision of a running DS. So the Dome and Flip Flap control is taking place in the DS.

I have requested Remote operation of Viking. So that should come along soon. If you want to operate remotely. (Obs in the garden) a setup DS would be easy to do. I have only operated on the same network and not truly remote.

You mentioned offset focusing. Leo has tried to go for quality data so he thinks Focus on each filter is the way to go. Users of other software have requested filter offsets because that is what they are use to. But the way the focus routine works again is different in Voyager. You do a First light focus run then after that focusing is fast on all filters. Another thing that is different is that a Guide calibration is done at the beginning of a sequence and after a Meriden Flip

One thing to be aware of is that your AAG CloudWatcher or whatever when running a sequence “On The Fly” only flags up a Suspend event in the Monitor window as far as I can tell. No action is taken. So watch out for rain. In a DS if you have a Suspend and Resume event. The run will pause and resume when things are clear again.

As far as Guiding is concerned. In the Sequence setup you can only select Roboguide or Native guide control (Maxim DL in your case) So in the SetupForm/Guiding you could try selecting None. That may do what you want.

Have a look at the Ascom Sky Simulator. It works well with Voyager and will let you try most thing in the day.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sky-simulator/

Graham

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

You mentioned offset focusing. Leo has tried to go for quality data so he thinks Focus on each filter is the way to go. Users of other software have requested filter offsets because that is what they are use to. But the way the focus routine works again is different in Voyager. You do a First light focus run then after that focusing is fast on all filters. Another thing that is different is that a Guide calibration is done at the beginning of a sequence and after a Meriden Flip

Hi Graham,

I fully understand Leos' rationale on this and I do think he has a valid point about per filter focus - furthermore having tried it using the built in autofocusing routine, RoboFire, I can confirm that it works very well indeed so it could well be that he does done me a favour by not supporting offset focussing!!

Aha, so Guide Calibration is carried out after a Meridian Flip - that is cool!

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

As far as Guiding is concerned. In the Sequence setup you can only select Roboguide or Native guide control (Maxim DL in your case) So in the SetupForm/Guiding you could try selecting None. That may do what you want.

I'll have a look into this. Ironically, although my original (several years ago!) requirement was for continued use of MaxIm DL which serves me very well at present, my current thinking is that if I jump ship from CCD Commander (CCD C) to Voyager then I want to use as much of its inbuilt functionality as possible. My reasoning here is that on the occasions when I have had a technical issue, resolving the problem can be hampered by the fact that there are disparate software elements involved with CCD C bringing them all together and it can be difficult to determine exactly where the fault lies!

Thanks for the warning about AAG CloudWatcher and 'OnTheFly' operation.

Been messing about with dual setup for a while and just about to set it up again ready for darker nights so interested in this, also been using Maxim for years but it has problems with two of everything even running two instances of it.

On the Dashboard question does it require an up to date pad ? I've got an old iPad somewhere but may be too old.

Dave

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Been messing about with dual setup for a while and just about to set it up again ready for darker nights so interested in this, also been using Maxim for years but it has problems with two of everything even running two instances of it.

On the Dashboard question does it require an up to date pad ? I've got an old iPad somewhere but may be too old.

Dave

Dave I think Voyagers Array setup uses A vitual machine or to or more PC conected on your Network.

Its mentioned about half way down the page.

https://software.starkeeper.it/

Dashboard is a web page, so it should work.

Graham

• Like 1

Leonardo emailed back later last night saying he will ask his engineer developing the dashboard to add dome and flap controls, which is great.  That said, adding it to the dragscript was an absolute doddle, so not exactly a hardship if he doesn't, but would be good to just have a view of the status.

Not come across Voyager before, is it relatively new?
APT, SGP, NINA, SIPS, Voyager, there is plenty of choice, the one that fixes the reliability issues associated with integrating all the equipment and managing interruptions would get my vote.

I hadn't come across it until @AngryDonkey mentioned it in the other thread, so thought I would check it out.

I love SG Pro and think it works really well, but even after changing the subscription model so they could 'put more time to the product' the guys seem to really drag thier heels making any changes, almost seeming to ignore feature requests unless it suits them.  I have tried lots of others, but this one, coupled with Leonardo's really proactive response yesterday, seems well above the rest and a genuine contender to SG Pro.  Lots of functionality, very feedback oriented and ultra flexible.  

I've not been testing it long, but already I can see it is robust and quick, so testing will definitely be contiuing.

Edited by RayD

Some answers to your questions:

• Voyager was born in 2009
  • Sequence block in DragScript can override the setting in sequence, for sure remove the time start, time end, on end and on error data/section. Wiki https://voyager.tourstar.net/index.php?title=DragScript_Elements#Session
  • in sequence you can remove guide calibration, guide, dithering, focusing, plate solving and so an so without need to modify the setup configuration, each sequence have a file so you can decide target for target what to do
  • Dome and Flat can be manage from command section of the main GUI. In Webdashboard there isnt a dedicated panel but you can create a simple dragscript to do all the single operation you want. The other automation software doesn't have web dashboard so Voyager have something on plus!
  • We dont trust in offset or temperature compensation for focus so you not found in Voyager. Only the offset is provided for the Array system up to 4 setup for obvius reasons. Voyager provide 2 kind of autofocus using the AI support .. on a single star or on all field
  • Voyager can manage external events using weather system, safety monitor, file monitor, I/O card input using Viking, self generated events inside DragScript readin external data. If you want to manage the events you must run your activities inside DragScript
  • DragScript is not a script ... just a drag & drop way to put togheter little block/action with some logic and conditionals running. you can realize from simple thing to real complex tasks
  • Voyager is not substitute of SGP or NINA or APT or .... have another paradigm. We trust in quality data and reliability ... not fastness and "smart" short path. We have created so much new thing never see in automation software and introducing use of AI since 6 years not to be a copy/clone of ... but a different thing

Sorry for my message.

All the best

Leonardo Orazi

Edited by Leonardo Orazi
moderator suggest
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

1 hour ago, Fellside said:

Dave I think Voyagers Array setup uses A vitual machine or to or more PC conected on your Network.

As of very recently Voyager does allow two instances of the app to run on the same computer at the same time when using the Array version. So a second computer or virtual machine is no longer required.

The only trouble I had was with the Moravian cameras because they only had one ASCOM filter wheel driver in their ASCOM installer and they always got crossed when I used them at the same time. I wrote to Moravian to explain the problem and two days later they published a new ASCOM driver with two cameras and two filter wheels. Very good support and the ASCOM driver is rock solid. One of the main reasons I bought them

• Like 2

Mike,

That's good to know you can run two instances of the software. I`ve not kept up with where the Array software is apart from what i read on the Voyager site. Are you happy with how things operate on a single PC?

That is good the here feedback about Moravian support. I find it always helps with my purchases when you know there is good support and backup.

Graham

I recently bought Voyager for running my rig in Castillejar.  I have been using CCDAuto Pilot  but that does not have full integration with the weather system. It lack the full "suspend  resume and exit " actions in Voyager.

So far I have just run simulations but I intend to try it for real in the next few days.

I have implemented all actions via DragScript as I have an unusual protocol compared to normal imaging. 

Voyager allows me to wait until  Astronomical Twilight ends and the target is above a certain altitude. It the slews to a comparison star takes 9 v filter images and 9 SA200 spectra.  The off to the target for 9 v filter images and it then continues to take SA200 spectra until Astronomical Twilight begins and or the target goes  below a given altitude. 

The advantages over CCDAuto Piolt it will suspend on weather events and resume if the weather improves but also it does not need updating for different dates.

I am impressed so far.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s

32 minutes ago, RayD said:

I've been doing some simulated sequences and don't seem to be able to find a visual reference to what filter I'm currently using?

Nor I. Similarly,  rotator angle is not shown  or as far as I can see be set in a sequence. One reason I don't  use sequences.

However, I can see them in The Sky X

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

Ray

The filter can be selected but is not displayed in the panel just below the camera panel. The filter currently being used is shown in the Monitor panel and at the beginning of every image as it is show in the Monitor window.

Rotator angle can be set in your DS. In the Dashboard it is possible to set the position angle as the image is composed. I haven't got a rotator so have not used this feature. But I presume it is sent via Roboclip when the target information is sent to Voyager and then imported into you sequence.

Graham

7 minutes ago, Fellside said:

The filter can be selected but is not displayed in the panel just below the camera panel. The filter currently being used is shown in the Monitor panel and at the beginning of every image as it is show in the Monitor window.

Thanks, Graham.  Would be nice to just have a simple but clear visual indication of which filter is active I think. 

Sorry to be bombarding you with questions, but is it possible to turn off a single item i.e. my mount alone, or do I need to disconnect all connected items?

Ray

No problem with questions. You will very soon find out the depth of my knowledge🙂

Voyager is aimed at imaging automation so thats why I think some thing arnt visible.

Features you may not have seen.

The Fits viewer

Robclip

Have a look at this database. 200 entries. You could set up you own

https://forum.starkeeper.it/t/my-roboclip-database/1173

RoboClip

Edited by Fellside

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

Ray

No problem with questions. You will very soon find out the depth of my knowledge🙂

Voyager is aimed at imaging automation so thats why I think some thing arnt visible.

Features you may not have seen.

The Fits viewer

RoboClip

Thanks Graham.  Yes I've seen and used the FIT viewer which seems excellent.  I have seen RoboClip but not yet looked at that in any detail.

Yes I do have an automated (90%) system, both here and Spain, operating both remotely, but I'm a tinkerer so like to keep an eye on what is going on.

Many thanks for your help.

I must confess I had never heard of this software until yesterday !!

I am an SGP user but based on what's been said and the pedigree of the people using it and liking it I will definitely be giving a try out when darkness returns (August).

Following with interest!!

49 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I am an SGP user but based on what's been said and the pedigree of the people using it and liking it I will definitely be giving a try out when darkness returns (August).

Following with interest!!

I think that you'll find it well worth following up - the more I get into it, the more I like it and I have just spent a very happy afternoon setting up and running a full session from gear turn ON and opening the observatory to gear shut down observatory and gear turn OFF with everything but autofocus, guiding and plate-solving in the mix but I have also tested those three separately a few nights ago and they too were very impressive, especially the built in acquire and focus routine.  Impressive stuff carried out from a different angle that I really like.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I think that you'll find it well worth following up - the more I get into it, the more I like it and I have just spent a very happy afternoon setting up and running a full session from gear turn ON and opening the observatory to gear shut down observatory and gear turn OFF with everything but autofocus, guiding and plate-solving in the mix but I have also tested those three separately a few nights ago and they too were very impressive, especially the built in acquire and focus routine.  Impressive stuff carried out from a different angle that I really like.

Thanks Steve - if it's good enough for you it's certainly good enough for me !!!

Will report back in August.

Hi

I have been using voyager for over a year now and was initially drawn to it because it offered rock solid stability and indeed it is rock solid

I have tried to make it crash by yanking out cables etc - the software reports a fault without crashing and has several ways of reporting emails texts etc.

For me a system lock up was the ultimate nightmare and wasted valuable time.

And since I have started the program has offered many improvements and is being upgraded all the time  -  It takes a different approach in how it works like the drag scrip  which is  really

a drag command system and is very very user configurable .

I would urge people to give it a go - much to learn -much to gain

Regards

Harry

• Like 2