Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astroberry - Zwo Asi 1600mm not connecting

Doug64

Hi,

I'm trying to set up Astroberry on my rpi4.

I've got all my equipment working most of the time when using my DSLR but I cannot get it to work with my ASI 1600MM.

I have replaced the DSLR with the ASI camera and Starlight Filter Wheel.  The filter wheel is connected to the hub on the back of the camera.

I'm running an ethernet cable from Pi directly to my router, I'm using a Startech powered hub and the original Pi power supply.  I have one USB 3.0 cable running from the hub to the USB 3.0 port on the Pi.

Having connected the ASI camera I start Ekos and I immediately get a pop up window stating 'No ASI camera detected. Power on?'.  The filter wheel connects correctly through the hub on the camera but I cannot get the camera to work.

So far I've removed the camera and checked it using the same cables with my laptop and everything worked correctly, I've tried different ports on the hub and checked everything as best but I cannot get the camera to work.  Being desperate I've even ordered a new USB 3.0 cable to try even though I know the one I have is working.

I'm very new to Linux so this isn't helping me resolve this problem.

Has anyone come across this when using an ASI 1600MM with a Pi and if so how did you resolve it.

I've asked the same question on the Indi Astroberry Forum but to date I've not had a reply.  I've also copied over images and a log file to the indi forum to hopefully assist.

Thanks

Doug

5 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hello,

can you share a picture of your ekos profile, so I can see what that is all set at...?

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply.

I've attached an image of my profile, if you need anything else plse let me know.

Doug

Zwo1.png

4 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

In a terminal window, issue the command lsusb, this will return all the USB devices that the Pi can see.

Thanks for the reply,

I did that yesterday but being new to Linux etc I could not work out what everything was and wasn't sure if it was seeing my ASI Camera.

Here is an image I got of 'Lsusb'

usb.png

Edited by Doug64

Hi,

With regards to 'LSUSB' my idea today was to take all USB's out of the hub and put them in one at a time and run 'LSUSB' to identify which one is for which piece of equipment and if my ASI Camera shows up.

Doug

That would work, just swapping ports around, can sometimes 'kick' devices into life.  Also if you have different cables, swap them around as well, as I've known that to also kick something into life...

5 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

It looks like the camera is listed there the three ASmedia entries...

Hi,

6 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Thanks,

I'll give it a try later today.

Doug

6 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hi,

I think the first ASMedia entry may be the Startech hub but I'm not sure.

The other two entries look like they may be the Zwo ASI camera but again I'm not sure as they could also be the Altair Astro GP Cam.

I should know more when I remove the USB cables from the hub and put them in one at a time and run LSUSB, this will hopefully identify each piece of equipment and I can see if the ASI camera is being detected on the USB port

Doug

Daft question Doug but there is no mention of 12 volts being connected to the camera and the red light on? Assuming it is?

Edited by TerryMcK

Just now, TerryMcK said:

Daft question Doug but there is no mention of 12 volts being connected to the camera and the red light on.

I think that’s only needed for the cooler and fan...the camera alone should work from a powered USB hub...👍

actually scrap that. I have just tried it out plugging directly into the PI and it works without power being on. Hmmmm. As you say a new USB3 cable might do it.

Try plugging the camera direct into the USB3 port on the PI. I think it will start as 03c3:xxxx when detected. On mine the 183 is detected as 03c3:183f and I think the 1600 starts as 03c3:160x - I can't test it with my 1600MM as I've lent it out.

With nothing at all in the PI apart from the camera it shows up as this:

Linux astroberry 4.19.97-v7l+ #1294 SMP Thu Jan 30 13:21:14 GMT 2020 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Mon May 11 11:49:19 2020
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03c3:183f  
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b4:6572 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
astroberry@astroberry:~ $ 

BTW I plug the camera direct into the PI without going through a hub. 

Edited by TerryMcK

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the help, it looks like I've now sorted this and have my ASI 1600 camera working :)

Earlier today I did a few tests using 'lsusb'.

And with nothing attached I saw the following which appears to be my powered hub.

1159862904_HubAlone.thumb.png.8c93c8d47d9c696088c0397745d4e3b3.png

I then attached my Zwo ASI 1600MM to the powered hub and I got this

875360087_WithonlyZwoattached.thumb.png.2e1882a86d580aa4bb423d91bbca881d.png

so it looks like the Zwo ASI 1600MM is being recognised as BUS 001 Device 010: ID 04b4:6572 Cypress Semi Conductor Corp.

However my camera was not loading when I started EKOS even though I had the Zwo Drivers correctly selected.

I then followed the advice of Terry (Thanks Terry) and I took everything out of the PI and connected my Zwo Camera straight to it.

When I ran 'lsub', I got the below which is similar to what Terry had

1452290136_ZwointoPi.thumb.png.d4e51a5a7999d5403bd8d7bba00a304e.png 

This time instead of showing just BUS 001 Device 010: ID 04b4:6572 Cypress Semi Conductor Corp as it did when I ran 'lsusb' with the camera plugged into my hub it also showed the additional ID: 03c3:1603.

With the camera still plugged directly into the Pi I set up a test profile for the camera alone and when I started Ekos it loaded correctly as per the below image.

415442672_ZwoTestfile.thumb.png.13fe4828a6bced23e5e38af282013849.png 

Having got the camera to work I then connected the USB for my filter wheel  and focuser to the hub on the camera.  I also attached the USB for my mount and guide camera directly to the USB 2.0 ports on the Pi .  When I set up a test and ran everything it all worked as shown below.:)

1479500301_FullSetUp.thumb.png.1826bdd49c45c3b1993703fe36eadaac.png  

Hopefully now I'll be able to get everything sorted and can learn more about imaging with KStars/Ekos.

I have just a couple of questions to finally get this sorted :-

Would it be better to connect my mount USB and Guide Camera USB directly to the Pi using the USB 2.0 ports or am I best connecting them to the powered USB 3.0 hub.  My guide camera is a USB3.0 camera but I think it will run on USB 2.0 just a little slower.

At the moment I have an SSD connected to one of the USB ports, I could do away with this and add a larger Micro SD card, if I were to do this what is the largest size micro SD card I can use, its mainly for image storage which can get fairly large as we know.  If I were to do away with the SSD I could then connect my guide camera directly to the USB 3.0 port which should make it a little faster.

Thanks again everyone you've really helped me get this sorted.

Doug

Edited by Doug64
  • Like 1

Great glad you got the camera going Doug :) - that ID: 03c3:1603 will be the 1600 as you say. I think that the first two octets 03c3 are issued to manufacturers and in this case it will be ZWO.

As to the next question of connecting the mount and guider to the USB2 ports that is exactly what I do. I was getting timing issues when I shared the USB3 line with the camera (both on PC under AstroPhotographyTool and on the PI running Astroberry). So now I have the guider, mount, controller for the dewheater, focuser and the PoleMaster plugged into a USB2 hub and then onto the USB2 port on the PI. No timing issues at all using that config. Yes I now have three cables going away from the rig (USB3 cable, USB2 cable and power) but it works fine.

Edited by TerryMcK

5 minutes ago, TerryMcK said:

Great glad you got the camera going Doug :) - that ID: 03c3:1603 will be the 1600 as you say. I think that the first two octets 03c3 are issued to manufacturers and in this case it will be ZWO.

As to the next question of connecting the mount and guider to the USB2 ports that is exactly what I do. I was getting timing issues when I shared the USB3 line with the camera (both on PC under AstroPhotographyTool and on the PI running Astroberry). So now I have the guider, mount, controller for the dewheater, focuser and the PoleMaster plugged into a USB2 hub and then onto the USB2 port on the PI. No timing issues at all using that config. Yes I now have three cables going away from the rig (USB3 cable, USB2 cable and power) but it works fine.

Thanks,

I'll plug my mount, focuser, and guide camera into the powered hub and then into the USB 2.0 port on the Pi and my camera and filter wheel into the USB 3.0 port as the focuser goes into the camera hub.  This will then leave me one USB 3.0 port available on the Pi for my SSD.

Thanks for all the help.

Doug 

I have managed to do away with my powered hub.

My connections are as follows

From RPi4 USB3  port (blue) - to SSD Memory

From RPi4 USB3 port (blue) - to the ASI 1600MM Pro USB3 port

From RPi4 USB2 port (black)- to Guidecam USB2 port

From RPi4 USB2 port (black)- to Mount Hand-Set via USB to Serial adapter

Then from the ASI1600MM Pro inbuilt hub : 2 USB2 cables 

USB2 port to ZWO EFW USB2

USB2 port to Sesto Senso focuser USB2

I have an external water proof  12V 30amp Power Supply and run a single 12v cable from that on the ground up to a small self made distribution box located on the mount.

From this I have 4 individual 12v cables going to

ASI 1600MM Pro so its red light comes on

Sesto Senso focuser so its red light comes on

AZ-EQ6 Mount 

4 channel Dew Heater controller

Finally in the distribution box I have a 12v to 5V converter so I can supply 5V to the RPi4 itself.

Thats it, no Hub required.

It all works great and connects up once KStars/EKOS is started. The thing to check is that the RPi4 supply voltage is slightly over 5.0.  I adjusted my supply to 5.1V as the RPi4 is very sensitive to under voltage errors and that can stop things working.

Finally I connect to the RPi4 via WiFi from my warm room indoors using Open VNC.

Edited by wornish
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know the max seize micro SD card you can use with the Pi and Astroberry as I read people saying its 32gb and other stating its 128gb.

If I were to put my USB3.0 GP cam into a USB2.0 port would this cause any problems.

Doug

41 minutes ago, Doug64 said:

Thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know the max seize micro SD card you can use with the Pi and Astroberry as I read people saying its 32gb and other stating its 128gb.

If I were to put my USB3.0 GP cam into a USB2.0 port would this cause any problems.

Doug

I use a 64 and you could use 128, also download a little programme that is free called “SD card formatter” it’s perfect as it can be a painful trying to format when there are two partitions on rpi SM SD cards and sometimes it will only format the Boot partition...I use FAT32 on all mine...then they will show on windows PC too, if you need to edit any files directly...like config.txt..

11 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

I use a 64 and you could use 128, also download a little programme that is free called “SD card formatter” it’s perfect as it can be a painful trying to format when there are two partitions on rpi SM SD cards and sometimes it will only format the Boot partition...I use FAT32 on all mine...then they will show on windows PC too, if you need to edit any files directly...like config.txt..

Thanks

As long as you are running Rasbian OS on your RPI 4  (or Ubuntu) you can resize your file system to as much as you want.  1GB or more is possible.  So yes a 128GB SD mem card will certainly work.

The minimum size is recommended to be 16GB if you want to use the full desktop interface, but you can go smaller if you only run your pi as a server with just a text terminal interface.