SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASPS fails to solve.....

Merlin66

I installed ASPS a few years ago, tried and it worked....but haven't used it for a while.
http://www.astrogb.com/astrogb/All_S...te_Solver.html

I've been using Astrometry.net for plate solving....

I usually take an image from my 60mm, 227 fl eFinder to verify FOV, Using the DMK51, 4.4 micron pixel, 1600 x 1200 array. Astrometry solves in a couple of minutes - never failed.
I've gone back to ASPS, checked the Indexes are OK for the finder, but it just times out......
Any ideas?
(The attached finder image is typical.)

Finder_225843_0000.jpg

22 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Where does it say on Astrometry the focal length? I'm sure it used to as it solved some of my 200p images as 1018mm, that's why I remember!

Never said it did - ASPS settings wizard calculates the FL from the info you put in from the Astrometry.net solve - "Pixel Scale" - Step 5 then give a new FL. 🙂

Bottom line it works!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Never said it did - ASPS settings wizard calculates the FL from the info you put in from the Astrometry.net solve - "Pixel Scale" - Step 5 then give a new FL. 🙂

Bottom line it works!

No, I'm sure it used to say it. I've seen it! Just wondering if theres a setting I'm missing somewhere!

• Confused 1

Ok.

I've found the problem....

The image I uploaded was 1600 x 1200 but it appears as a 1200 x 900 !!!! This causes the change in eFinder focal length.

Hopefully the new attached image is OK.

Believe it or not while messing around trying to find the problem, ASPS managed to give me a solve!

I looked at ASTAP but it appears to need a minimum of thirty star images...not possible with the eFinder.

Thanks to stash_old for the help and input.

Finder_225843_0000.jpg

ASPS_test.JPG

• Like 1

Spoke to soon.

None of the recent eFinder images were solved in ASPS....bumma!

A bit more investigating and many trials with other programs etc etc

OK, my immediate problem solved with ASPS!
I had been using it manually without the option of connecting to the mount....once connected (EQMod) it offered the "near solve" based on a 4 deg limit.

I hope that's easier.....

Edited by Merlin66

OK.

Finally, with some help from Dustin (Astrometry.net) I've managed to get ASPS to work for me.

It has successfully solved ALL the archived eFinder images I can find, so a fair test.

I'm not 100% sure what the actual "fix" was - combo of re-install and added indexes (4100 series)

I'm a happy camper!!!

3 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

OK.

Finally, with some help from Dustin (Astrometry.net) I've managed to get ASPS to work for me.

It has successfully solved ALL the archived eFinder images I can find, so a fair test.

I'm not 100% sure what the actual "fix" was - combo of re-install and added indexes (4100 series)

I'm a happy camper!!!

Glad to hear - it is always suggested to get Index's either side of the quoted ones just to be on the safe side. Just depends on your FOV as some are massive (GB's) and will slow things down. Clear Skies and Happy Plate solving 🙂

All you have to dp know is use ATASP and get sub 4s platesolving! 😈

2 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

ATASP - I did look at that, but it needed a minimum of thirty stars in the image....

I’m happy with ASPS with the EQMod and NEQ6PRO for spectroscopy.

I was pulling your leg 🙂

I had the same issues.

i found out that astrometry.net is the best in solving pictures with not perfectly round stars, and it also does a way better job at extracting stars from a given picture than ASPS.  However, with "good " pictures - a lot of nice round stars - ASPS solves much faster than astrometry.