Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skymax180

I had the black diamond more recent version of the skywatcher 150mak the crayford focuser directly fitted to rear cell however early versions skywatcher changed to larger thread and at time I think it was only 365 Astronomy that sold it and was,nt cheap 

I agree with johninderby, that is a very good price, does anyone know if it fits a Skymax 127? 

I already have the thread adaptor to fit standard SCT accessories, but is the overall diameter too large to fit the smaller scope?

John

While it will just fit the stock focuser knob gets in the way and needs replacing with a bit of silicone tube. Pic of someones 127 fitted with a 2” crayford.

This focuser is ideal and I use one on my Omegon 127 Mak but the SCT adaptor needed is rather expensive as it has to be custom made. 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11734_TS-Optics-1-25----T2-Crayford-Focuser-for-Refractors--Cassegrains-----.html

06C153FF-CD87-44D9-8384-362DAA9D6AC2.jpeg

CA5EC123-1C6C-4BCA-A074-8F475311B784.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

On 11/05/2020 at 09:34, johninderby said:

Telescope House (Bresser UK) has a great deal on a decent quality dual speed crayford for SCT at the moment and would fot directly onto the 180.

https://www.telescopehouse.com/accessories/focusers/revelation-2-sct-crayford-1-11-dual-speed-focuser.html

EE868D8E-B5E4-44CD-82DF-6D17324527CA.jpeg

If this fits straight on I'll buy this:) you sure about this?

20 minutes ago, Chrb1985 said:

If this fits straight on I'll buy this:) you sure about this?

Yes it will fit straight onto the 180. Found a photo of the Skywatcher crayford fitted that is identical to the Revelation.

7693C413-3795-4B1C-8545-40F7A0EB0B03.jpeg

Yes, the Revelation SCT dual speed focusser fits my Skymax 180 perfectly too.

A vast improvement over the main mirror focussing.

You get the best of both worlds that way, a wide main focussing range for cameras, diagonals and binoviewers, and then the fine focus when you're close with no mirror slop.

Another advantage is if you use motorised focussing too, no need to rig the motor up to the scope's focus knob, just fit it to the SCT focusser.

I've got a Celestron C8 SCT as well, and the whole thing just screws on to that as well.

In my pic it looks as though the main focus knob could foul the SCT focusser when being screwed on, but it doesn't, because there's a knurled locking screw on top, which allows the focusser to be rotated independent  of its screw thread.

sct focusser on skymax 180.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek
  • Like 1

wow

On 16/05/2020 at 14:27, Astro-Geek said:

Yes, the Revelation SCT dual speed focusser fits my Skymax 180 perfectly too.

A vast improvement over the main mirror focussing.

You get the best of both worlds that way, a wide main focussing range for cameras, diagonals and binoviewers, and then the fine focus when you're close with no mirror slop.

Another advantage is if you use motorised focussing too, no need to rig the motor up to the scope's focus knob, just fit it to the SCT focusser.

I've got a Celestron C8 SCT as well, and the whole thing just screws on to that as well.

In my pic it looks as though the main focus knob could foul the SCT focusser when being screwed on, but it doesn't, because there's a knurled locking screw on top, which allows the focusser to be rotated independent  of its screw thread.

sct focusser on skymax 180.jpg

wow! amazing. i ordered the revelation one. waiting for it now like child waiting for xmas! van you tell me what motorized focuser you have there

The focuser in the photo is my home-made stepper motor bracket controlled by a "MyfocuserPro2" DIY project that I also made from Robert's excellent design on Sourceforge.  The bracket looks a bit "Heath Robinson" because I wanted to keep it as versatile and adaptable as possible, for use on other scopes.

It isn't as heavy as it looks though, those chunky metal angle plates are aluminium, so it's fairly light.

okay so i got the focuser today. and it dont fit. but when i unscrewd everthing there is stil a black metal thing with threads in it. can i unscrew that bit to? or do i need the adapter? if i need an adapter. wherer do i buy it?

IMG_20200525_144420.jpg

IMG_20200525_144428.jpg

.directory

Looks like you have the older black tube 180 that came with a 2” visual back and has an odd rear thread. The later ones come with the proper thread. The adapter available from most places won’t fot this 180. The proper adapter doesn’t seem to be available any more.

Skymax 127-150-180 Maksutov Cassegrain to SCT Adapter is what it was called.

93820-B45-4-EE3-4825-9-B25-4-D14-B747-A4

Edited by johninderby

That’s the wrong adapter. Looks like the OP has one of the black tube 180s with an odd ball thread which was used for a short time before they switched to an SCT back.

From the Scoestuff page.

”Does not fit new style Skywatcher 180mm Maks with 66mm diameter 
visual back! ”

• Like 1

i think i will have the silver piece drilled big enugh to fit on the telescope. and than drill four holes from the sides and use screws to hold it all in place. i will post pics when done.