Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from Oxfordshire

RichardK

Hi all,

Bought myself (and the family!) our first telescope a month or two back, and have been spending a bit of time adjusting and learning ever since. Have spent a bit of time looking in, but thought I'd join and introduce myself as no doubt I'll have a couple of questions very soon...

• Like 2

Welcome to SGL Richard.

I was born and brought up in Bicester where I still stay 2 days a week when working in our London office (not for the past two months though - 5 days a week from home rather than 3)

See you around the forums sir.

Thanks all,

Have already asked my first question and no doubt there will be more...

14 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Richard

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum, and make friends along the way

Which type of scope did you finish up purchasing

John

Hi John, I bought a used Skywatcher 200P Dob. A friend of mine suggested that it would be difficult to go wrong with one and that seems generally to be the consensus across the board. Needs a bit of cleaning and adjustment but looks to have good potential as long as I don't mess anything up.

13 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Richard and a warm welcome from me just across the border.  Not sure which part of Oxfordshire you are in but one of the most active astro societies in the region is the Abingdon one if you are interested, found here: http://www.abingdonastro.org.uk/aas_blog/    Clear skies!

Thanks Robin, I'm in the Faringdon area, so not too far away. Will take a look at the Abingdon Astro site, thanks!

Hi I’m also Oxfordshire / Northamptonshire boarder near Brackley. 
I might also look into Abingdon Astro. 
when we’re kinda back to some sort of normal. All the best Richard. 
phil. 

1 hour ago, RichardK said:

Thanks all,

Hi John, I bought a used Skywatcher 200P Dob. A friend of mine suggested that it would be difficult to go wrong with one and that seems generally to be the consensus across the board. Needs a bit of cleaning and adjustment but looks to have good potential as long as I don't mess anything up.

Thanks Robin, I'm in the Faringdon area, so not too far away. Will take a look at the Abingdon Astro site, thanks!

Richard I have a 10" flex Dob, and out a couple times a month with my club doing presentations year K-6 in primary schools, and Space Badge Joey's and Cubs scouting movement

When coming to cleaning the primary mirror on your Dob, just used distilled water

If just has a little bit of dust on it, will not distract from viewing, and just leave alone

Another good asset also is a right angle finderscope, saves laying on the ground when finding things directly above us

When doing my school/scout group presentation, for planets and other DSO's, I use a 15mm or 17mm wide angle eyepiece

Have attached pic of my Dob, taken at a public viewing night late last year with my club

Side issue, I also have a 1963 MGB MK1 soft top roadster, which I have had since 1983 which was built MG factory in  Abingdon

John

Skywatcher 10in Dob.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/05/2020 at 22:56, RichardK said:

Thanks all,

Hi Richard, I am also in Faringdon area :) There is a Faringdon Astronomy Facebook page, not sure if they have any meets though. I had hoped to go Swindon Astro society but I had a busy winter last year and everytime they had a meet I was busy. I might also look into Abingdon.