SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Moving from ZWO 294MC Pro to mono

Deeko

As the titles suggests, I have been using the ZWO 294MC Pro for around 18 months and happy with results and everything I have learned along the way. Now ready for the next level of quality and proper narrowband imaging. I like the look of the ZWO 1600MM but notice this camera has been around since 2016, have looked around and cannot see anything newer in terms of quality.price range? Is there any  news on a replacement for 1600MM with newer mono sensor at similar price point?

Ta!

I'm afraid I can't help you on your Q, but as my intention is a 294MC Pro for my next camera on my own learning path, if you are tempted to make the switch & need to shift the current one, I might know a careful new owner...😇

Cheers 😄

ATM the only new mono CMOS sensor is the IMX 455 which is seriously expensive and will require serious storage and computing power. Otherwise you're looking at mono CCDs which aren't cheap either, though I notice there is a very good offer on the SX Trius 694, though it's a fair bit smaller than you're used to. Beyond that are the 16200 based camera, but they're uncheap too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2020 at 15:55, Deeko said:

As the titles suggests, I have been using the ZWO 294MC Pro for around 18 months and happy with results and everything I have learned along the way. Now ready for the next level of quality and proper narrowband imaging. I like the look of the ZWO 1600MM but notice this camera has been around since 2016, have looked around and cannot see anything newer in terms of quality.price range? Is there any  news on a replacement for 1600MM with newer mono sensor at similar price point?

Ta!

The KAF8300 came outin something like 2008 and is still being sold in astronomy cameras today, 4 years is nothing in this market.

Adam