Narrowband

Lunt 50 focuser upgrade

I'm considering upgrading the stock helical focuser on my Lunt LS50. I don't really have to refocus that much to it isn't really the focusing that bothers me, more the fact that it "wobbles" on the back of the telescope if you touch it and I'm hoping that an upgraded focuser will solve this issue. As far as i can see I have the following options:

Moonlight LS50 focuser (fine focus) 

Feather Touch LS50 focuser (coarse focus)

Feather Touch LS50 focuser (fine focus

Has anyone compared the Moonlite to the Feather touch in the flesh? Is it worth the extra £150 for the Feather touch version? If the quality is actually pretty equal then the Moonlite seems the way to go but if the Feather Touch is clearly better then, relative to the cost of the scope, an extra £150 isn't that much.

If you haven't compared the two side by side, but chose between the two for your scope, what was it that swayed you one way or the other?

I went for the Moonlight - cost.  A key feature is the dual speed fine focus - it is critical for exquisite detail on the surface - I run double stacked ;).  The finest details are very sensitive to  spot on focus I find.

I have a Feathertouch on my dob - beautifully engineered, sweet in use.

I told myself the helical focusser was good enough, and thought I might be wasting my money on the Moonlight - no way! Worth every penny ;) It makes the world of difference. 

Manual slo-mo controls on the mount are key too for moving features through the sweet spots of the fov.

I really love my LS50DS- now if only activity would pick up 😎

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, niallk said:

I went for the Moonlight - cost.  A key feature is the dual speed fine focus - it is critical for exquisite detail on the surface - I run double stacked ;).  The finest details are very sensitive to  spot on focus I find.

I have a Feathertouch on my dob - beautifully engineered, sweet in use.

Ok, so a fine focus model for sure. How does the quality of the moonlight compare to the feather touch on the dob? Is there a significant difference? 

The FeatherTouch is in a different league to the Moonlite.   Much higher build quality and simply works better but of course it’s also in a different price bracket. The Moonlite is a good “budget” alternative in comparison.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

I had a Feathertouch on my LS50 and it was superb. I also have one on my 130mm triplet refractor with similar results. I like Moonlites and use those on my 12 inch dob and ED120 refractor but the Feathertouch is a noticable step up in all respects. I wondered what the fuss was about until I got to see and try a Feathertouch. Fabulous devices. I wish I could afford to put one on all my scopes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I had a Feathertouch on my LS50 and it was superb. I also have one on my 130mm triplet refractor with similar results. I like Moonlites and use those on my 12 inch dob and ED120 refractor but the Feathertouch is a noticable step up in all respects. I wondered what the fuss was about until I got to see and try a Feathertouch. Fabulous devices. I wish I could afford to put one on all my scopes.

You might have just sold me on the FT there, John.

20 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Ok, so a fine focus model for sure. How does the quality of the moonlight compare to the feather touch on the dob? Is there a significant difference? 

Imho, the Moonlight is beautifully crafted.  I'm strictly visual, and there's a big difference in what's asked of them in my case:

* For the Feathertouch on my 15" dob, i use a Paracorr II, Ethos EPs (or a N31T5), and sometimes a 2" 2x Powermate.  So heavily loaded - its like a refractor scope sticking out the side...;)

IMG_20170106_210338258.jpg.575786daced81d03dd8165484efc5b77.thumb.jpg.b6b1827919beb3cf3c07bd8973951151.jpg

* On my LS50DS I might use a 15mm plossl, a HRZ, or as the heaviest: a Pan24 + a 2.5x 1.25" Powermate

20171125_102353.thumb.jpg.e79547e53f03b619c6ae5f19df350d9f.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread. In the end I went for the feathertouch focuser and a double stack unit while it is in the sale. Having looked through it this afternoon I am blown away by the improvement the double stack makes to the visuals and would immediately recommend getting it to anyone still considering it. The focuser is also a massive improvement with a lovely silky movement. Making the swap is very easy, the only tool required is a 1.5mm hex key so that you can rotate the focuser to your preferred position once it is screwed on. 

DSC_1797.thumb.JPG.9d99e21d2a5353a617585b9e4a4342fd.JPG

• Like 4