SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

If it sounds too good to be true...

...it probably is.

I saw an ad for a 14.5" truss pole dobsonian for sale for €1000, (£880).    I am not in the market for such a scope, but a 14.5" scope for €1000, I had to check out the ad.  The seller has an Argo Navis computer system attached and a Starlight Instruments focuser.  Checking out the new prices of these items it comes to €486 (£430) for the Argo Navis and the focuser is about €460 (£400).   Therefore, close to €950 (£840) in accessories, even taking off 25% for second hand equipment, that comes to €237 (£210) leaving €713 (£630) for the accessories, €287 (£250) for a 14.5" truss pole dob alone. Does this sound too good to be true to you guys?

60% of retail is about the normal price for good condition used equipment. Sometimes less if the owner wants to get rid of it.

There is usually a reason that equipment is priced on the low side. Is the mirror a good one and in good condition for example ?

Does seem cheap but with large scopes like that sometimes the owner just wants rid because they can't manage the weight any more or it's taking up too much space 

At that price you could factor in the possibility the mirror needs resilvering and still have a good deal

• Like 2

You could ask a few relative questions of the seller, such as how long has he owned the telescope, was it new
at purchase, does he belong to any Astronomy Society  for example. 
If he was, was the scope offered for sale to any colleagues of the Society.
Sometimes knowing more about the seller, is as important as the item he's selling.
This might seem intrusive, and I wouldn't like you to miss a bargain, but the more you know, the safer you might feel 
about going ahead. 
As already intimated by John and Gaz. Good stuff does come along occasionally, and hard to resist.
Ron.

Here's the link to the ad:

https://www.donedeal.ie/hobbies-for-sale/14-5-quot-dosonian-astronomical-telescope/24413241

The mirror looks good, though it is difficult to tell from a photograph.  There is no name on the scope that I can see.

I have no interest in buying the scope, in my mid 50s I don't think I want to be lugging this thing around and it would be wasted where I live, my garden is the place where the streetlights come for the fun, and they are all LEDs, which is worse again.

I am sure the seller is genuine and maybe for the reasons stated wants it gone quickly.

13 minutes ago, pbyrne said:

Here's the link to the ad:

https://www.donedeal.ie/hobbies-for-sale/14-5-quot-dosonian-astronomical-telescope/24413241

The mirror looks good, though it is difficult to tell from a photograph.  There is no name on the scope that I can see.

I have no interest in buying the scope, in my mid 50s I don't think I want to be lugging this thing around and it would be wasted where I live, my garden is the place where the streetlights come for the fun, and they are all LEDs, which is worse again.

I am sure the seller is genuine and maybe for the reasons stated wants it gone quickly.

It does look very nice, and the seller probably is quite genuine, and I've no wish to pass any doubt on his integrity.
I'm sure someone will buy it, and be very satisfied with it. Along with the extras, it does seem a tempting  bargain.
If your home site is not conducive to good seeing, then it certainly is no Grab and Go telescope. :happy11:

• Like 1

I am certainly not bringing the integrity of seller into doubt, we are an honest lot in the astronomical community, and if I was in the market for such a scope, I would be checking it out, six hour round trip and all.  I am sure someone is in for a bargain.