SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Are Certain Brands Better Than Others

8 minutes ago, mikeyjm26 said:

They are pretty decent images from 200P. Is that using the standard eyepiece?

Here's an observing report with images captured using the supplied eyepieces, as well as a Meade 4000 15mm Super Plossl eyepiece.  This report was written before I got my new BST StarGuider eyepieces...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351309-first-lunar-report-with-the-big-gun/

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

8" Dob's are easy to store upright in a corner. They take up very little floor space, much less than a tripod. Storing it in a shed is a bit dodgy due to damp over time. There's those here that do so, there's good advice available on how to protect it.

Keeping an object in view is with a telescope on a dobson mount isn't any harder than using manual slomo knobs.

Binocular shakes can be dampened by simply leaning on or against something, by mounting them on a tripod, or probably most popular for binocular astronomy buffs, a monopod.

'...how good can they be?', have a look at the binocular section of the forum. Loads of people either only use binoculars, or have at least one pair to compliment their other gear.

It's a hard decision to make, maybe list all the pros and cons on paper then just go for it.

You did say you were looking for "something portable and easy to setup" and goto...

The Skymax 127 on an AZ-GTI comes in below your budget, including buying a power supply which is bought separately. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-skymax-127-az-gti.html

You've opened a can of worms with binoculars now lol

I have 4 telescopes to choose from, Skymax 127, Celestron 4SE, Bresser 8" and the 200P. I hate making decisions!!! Especially if there are similar items the same.

52 minutes ago, merlin100 said:

Here's an observing report with images captured using the supplied eyepieces, as well as a Meade 4000 15mm Super Plossl eyepiece.  This report was written before I got my new BST StarGuider eyepieces...

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/351309-first-lunar-report-with-the-big-gun/

👍 really good pictures.

3 hours ago, mikeyjm26 said:

You've opened a can of worms with binoculars now lol

I have 4 telescopes to choose from, Skymax 127, Celestron 4SE, Bresser 8" and the 200P. I hate making decisions!!! Especially if there are similar items the same.

Decisions, decisions...🤣

2 hours ago, mikeyjm26 said:

👍 really good pictures.

Thanks, but that was just using a smart phone holder attached to the eyepiece.20200325_121233.thumb.jpg.65534ad4d8780e0b0ef13d146f20fe16.jpg

7 hours ago, mikeyjm26 said:

Many thanks for the info. Those are certainly upgrades I will look at getting. Does it require the gear set initially or is fine to begin with? I was considering getting a moon filter and barlow for a first purchase?

No the focuser works very well, and is a really nice focuser just as it comes, though the upgrade allows much finer control, making it easier to focus on different objects and to a more pinpoint accuracy, though it's perfectly achievable to do this with the default one. I got a Barlow and a moon filter as a first purchase like you're considering, the Barlow is definitely nice as it gives you some good flexibility magnification wise, though I haven't used the moon filter much even on the full moon lol. First time I tried looking at the moon it was so bright and hard to see at first, though as my eyes adapted to how bright it was it made for a nice viewing experience. I think the moon filter generally makes it more comfortable, though I'm sure the more experienced guys can give you some more in depth details about the moon filter and how exactly to use it/where its useful. I'm actually considering getting a UHC filter now for nebula viewing. Personally for me I think getting a UHC instead of moon filter would have been beneficial. Again all depends on what you're looking to observe

Did someone mention smartphone holder? 😁

BTW re: moon filters some seem to need them and others don’t. Depends on how sensitive to light your eyes are. Some are supersensative to light and really need a filter. Would recommend getting a variable polarising filter though as it can be adjusted to suit your eyes better and also comes in handy for viewing Venus.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html

Favourite filter for viewing the moon is the Baader Neodynium filter as it gives the moon a nice neutral tone and increases contrast a bit.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html

73A44D44-2B48-4CB3-B367-0E317113ECD3.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

If you can see OK in daylight then no need for a moon filter. The moon is much dimmer than a sunny day.

The only benefit I see it trying to preserve some night vision if you are moving between different targets in the sky. The moon will ruin your night vision.

It’s called Photophobia or light sensitivity. For some it’s just more evident when looking at the bright moon. 

The rate at which the eye adapts to bright light is also important. Some people adapt quicker than others to changes in brightness. 

Edited by johninderby

2 hours ago, Cuto100200 said:

No the focuser works very well, and is a really nice focuser just as it comes, though the upgrade allows much finer control, making it easier to focus on different objects and to a more pinpoint accuracy, though it's perfectly achievable to do this with the default one. I got a Barlow and a moon filter as a first purchase like you're considering, the Barlow is definitely nice as it gives you some good flexibility magnification wise, though I haven't used the moon filter much even on the full moon lol. First time I tried looking at the moon it was so bright and hard to see at first, though as my eyes adapted to how bright it was it made for a nice viewing experience. I think the moon filter generally makes it more comfortable, though I'm sure the more experienced guys can give you some more in depth details about the moon filter and how exactly to use it/where its useful. I'm actually considering getting a UHC filter now for nebula viewing. Personally for me I think getting a UHC instead of moon filter would have been beneficial. Again all depends on what you're looking to observe

Are all Barlow's the same essentially or are some of them not so good?

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Did someone mention smartphone holder? 😁

BTW re: moon filters some seem to need them and others don’t. Depends on how sensitive to light your eyes are. Some are supersensative to light and really need a filter. Would recommend getting a variable polarising filter though as it can be adjusted to suit your eyes better and also comes in handy for viewing Venus.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html

Favourite filter for viewing the moon is the Baader Neodynium filter as it gives the moon a nice neutral tone and increases contrast a bit.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html

The second filter is now cheap!!! I suppose the best thing to do is see how me and the family feel without one first.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, mikeyjm26 said:

Are all Barlow's the same essentially or are some of them not so good?

The second filter is now cheap!!! I suppose the best thing to do is see how me and the family feel without one first.

Thanks for all the help and advice, it is greatly appreciated.

The more experienced guys can give you some recommendations on barlows, there are definitely different qualities depending on brand and price, just like in eyepieces. I'd ask around and see if you can get some good well reviewed barlow options, and then weigh up their price points and how much you're willing to pay etc, then make a decision. Search around the forum and see if you can find any threads already discussing barlows for beginners, if you can't find any you could start a new thread as i'm sure that would garner a good few well informed responses. Hope this helps

30 minutes ago, bomberbaz said:

....I do like the look of the ES tele-extenders, and they are at a great price for the 1.25" version.

I was loaned the ES 2x Tele-extender for a while. It was very impressive for it's price. Practically the same performance as the Tele Vue Powermate but at a somewhat lower price.

I've owned and used quite a lot of barlows and tele / focal extenders. The only one I have now is the Baader Q-Turret 2.25x barlow which is pretty good optically though rather plain and simple in build / finish terms.

• Like 1

On the used market it will be available under ES, Meade and Opticstar. as well as a couple of obscure Chinese brands such as Alstar.

Very good performers for the price. Unlike a barlow the distance from the eyepiece will have no effect on magnification.

Thanks John, had a bit of a look around earlier and seems that the ES TE has been around longer than I realised as well. Not had my eye on the ball recently though.

Edited by bomberbaz

I bought a Meade branded moon filter, but I seldom use it. I don't find the moon blinding, even at a full moon. I find that the filter improves the contrast between the bright and dark features on the moon, more so when the moon is full. 

I find that applying magnification reduces the brightness of the moon. I don't use a moon filter even with my 12 inch scope. I do have one though in case anyone else wants to use it when I do outreach sessions. They don't cost much to have in the bottom of the eyepiece case after all.

23 minutes ago, mikeyjm26 said:

I found a 8" Bresser on eBay that is brand new for just less than £370, it seems like a good deal.

For the sake of £19 I think I'd prefer to buy from a reputable dealer that has good pre and post sales support such as First Light Optics.

That assumes the scope you are looking at is this one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-8-dobsonian-telescope.html

• Like 1

In this case the eBay seller of the Bresser 8” dob is Bresser UK (Telescope House) so will have full support and includes free shipping.

Wouldn’t buy of eBay unless it was being sold by a proper UK astro dealer.

Edited by johninderby

Hi Mikey, a warm welcome to the forum.  Two things to add to what others have said.

1) Make sure you buy your scope from a dedicated astronomy supplier such as the forum sponsors, FLO, delivery is quick and efficient and the support incomparable.  Click on their header above.

2) If you have astrophotography in your sights further down the line, then this will seriously affect your purchase now.  If you need further advice on this invest in a copy of a book called 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards, it will save you loads of money and heartache, found here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Good luck and clear skies!

4 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hi Mikey, a warm welcome to the forum.  Two things to add to what others have said.

1) Make sure you buy your scope from a dedicated astronomy supplier such as the forum sponsors, FLO, delivery is quick and efficient and the support incomparable.  Click on their header above.

2) If you have astrophotography in your sights further down the line, then this will seriously affect your purchase now.  If you need further advice on this invest in a copy of a book called 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards, it will save you loads of money and heartache, found here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Good luck and clear skies!

My bad. I agree with buying from a known source especially since it is a lot of money. I have been in talks with FLO about a telescope and they have suggested a AZ Gti, Astro Fi and a refractor. However from my limited knowledge I don't think any of them will be great for DSO's but I could be wrong.