SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trius Pro 694 or Atik 460EX?

I'm looking to change my camera mounted on an Esprit 150 to improve the pixel resolution (limit 0.77 arcsec) while trying to maintain FOV. I currently have an SXV-H16 which gives me a FOV of 0.83 deg and pixel resolution of 1.45 arcsec. I believe both the cameras quoted use the same chip and would give me FOV 0.68 deg and resolution 0.89 arcsec. Does anyone have any experience of these cameras, any preference between them, or maybe an alternative?

I've had both and there's not a lot in it.  The Atik is bomb proof but the Trius, which I kept, cools lower, has a built in USB hub and a built in tilt adjuster. 

Edited by RayD

Both are fine, I have a Atik460 on a FSQ85 and recently a SX 834 on an Esprit120 at a friends dome. As Ray states the SX cools lower due to an additional external fan, has the USB2 hub and a tilt adjuster. I've recently had my Atik460 serviced and a faulty fan replaced and a broken temperature sensor identified and replaced. This meant I could get 25-30 below ambient instead of struggling to hit 15 below ambient. The service from Atik was superb, Terry and the crew at Starlight are also great and responsive so both vendors are very good.

• Like 1

I have a atik 460 and from when I purchased it second-hand it's been flawless,  easily my best astro purchase so far

I should add that the Sony 694 sensor is superb, so either camera that you choose I'm sure you be really happy with

Edited by newbie alert
Added info
  • Like 1

The chip looks to be the same....So you are looking at manufacturer and add-ons. 

Having the Atik 4120EX and dealing with ATIK, I have found them to give great service. 

I have never used Trius, so could not say.

Trius is cheaper though, at the moment :)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/atik-cameras/atik-460EX.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/offers/starlight-xpress-trius-pro-694-mono-ccd-camera.html

I'm sure you will be happy with either camera.

Good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2020 at 20:28, BlueAstra said:

I'm looking to change my camera mounted on an Esprit 150 to improve the pixel resolution (limit 0.77 arcsec) while trying to maintain FOV. I currently have an SXV-H16 which gives me a FOV of 0.83 deg and pixel resolution of 1.45 arcsec. I believe both the cameras quoted use the same chip and would give me FOV 0.68 deg and resolution 0.89 arcsec. Does anyone have any experience of these cameras, any preference between them, or maybe an alternative?

An alternative for you might be the new Moravian C2-12000a. Bigger sensor, more sensitive and higher resolution.