Narrowband

Maxvision any good?

Came across these eyepieces.  What do you think? Same item?  Only 50%.  Looks like its worth a try.  Or are there reviews about bad quality?   Even the box is the same. Or am I swearing in the church?

30715943-DF96-41C7-B80A-CB997B12C15E.jpeg

C4D42A81-D651-4DDC-BC98-848588F54444.jpeg

2BDF933F-71FD-46C7-9C3B-353E0C7A4C68.jpeg

5D2C6C98-1A3D-4EC7-9818-8B7251046EC1.jpeg

23B6B006-AB7B-497B-8D9F-7548FC79F4D6.jpeg

Edited by Robindonne

Same as Explore Scientific I think.

Maxvision is a brand name that the manufacturer uses when one of the big brands is not taking up their stock. The same thing happened when Meade cancelled a larger order for SWA's and UWA's a few years ago - the manufacturer stuck them out under the Maxvision branding.

The dust cap even has the recess for the ES button moulded into it !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Looks the same but not sure if the Maxvision is waterproof.

I guess if they are Nitrogen or Argon purged, they must be sealed ?

11 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Yes but it does not say that on the Maxvision eps.

Ooops, my mistake - I thought all the photos posted were of the Maxvision versions :smiley:

Mind you, if they can be acquired 50% of the price of the ES, still worth consideration ?

Tele Vue seem to get by OK without purging or waterproofing.

I’ve always wondered about the real advantage of waterproof and Ar/ N2 purged. I suspected a marketing gimmick.

Where are these non-ES Maxvision EPs a available from?

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2

no sorry.  I just added some originals for comparing the two brands. I think its very unlikely they copied it and get away with it.  Im sure they are the same housing at least.  But who knows the maxvisions are the ones who didnt pass the qualitycheck?   They come from the land of rise and covid btw.  And the 1,25” are about 50% of the es prices.  The bigger the ep the smaller the difference in price.  Im going to try the 2” 18 mm.  Ill post a picture when i get it in 8/12 weeks 

29 minutes ago, Robindonne said:

no sorry.  I just added some originals for comparing the two brands. I think its very unlikely they copied it and get away with it.  Im sure they are the same housing at least.  But who knows the maxvisions are the ones who didnt pass the qualitycheck?   They come from the land of rise and covid btw.  And the 1,25” are about 50% of the es prices.  The bigger the ep the smaller the difference in price.  Im going to try the 2” 18 mm.  Ill post a picture when i get it in 8/12 weeks 

They will almost certainly be made by the same factory that makes ES stuff. Most of the stuff we buy is made by a handful of manufacturers in China or Taiwan. ES don't make things themselves.

Make sure you know what the import duty is before you order. Things bought from the far east look low cost but once import duty and handling charges are added the overall price can take a jump.

9 hours ago, John said:

Make sure you know what the import duty is before you order. Things bought from the far east look low cost but once import duty and handling charges are added the overall price can take a jump.

You are totally right.  Forgotten it for a moment.   Have to check again but indeed when we buy things above €22,- we’re screwed.   Dont know exactly if in 2020 its the same.  Thx for the reminder

4 hours ago, Robindonne said:

You are totally right.  Forgotten it for a moment.   Have to check again but indeed when we buy things above €22,- we’re screwed.   Dont know exactly if in 2020 its the same.  Thx for the reminder

Much less of an issue in the US where it's $800.  I've bought items up to about $450 without any customs issues.  There's also no sales tax because the seller has no business nexus in the US.

Edited by Louis D

39 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Much less of an issue in the US where it's $800.  I've bought items up to about $450 without any customs issues.  There's also no sales tax because the seller has no business nexus in the US.

Ah so thats why your national debt is so tremendous high😉.  No but in the Netherlands we pay tax of tax over tax.  So johns reminder was very helpful.  

• Like 1

Anything from China with no well know brand name I would avoid like the plague to be honest there are some good alternative clones of Exsplore scientific eyepieces and some good exsamples are at opticstar under there own brand name and I can imagine thay wouldn’t sell rubbish not only thay are the Meade distributors for the uk thay got an reputation to look out for also.myself personally I would stick with established Well know dealers and on the plus side if you ever try to sell a well known brand like Televue,Exsplore scientific,Meade,etc get a good chunk of your money back 

3 minutes ago, Supernova74 said:

Anything from China with no well know brand name I would avoid like the plague to be honest there are some good alternative clones of Exsplore scientific eyepieces and some good exsamples are at opticstar under there own brand name and I can imagine thay wouldn’t sell rubbish not only thay are the Meade distributors for the uk thay got an reputation to look out for also.myself personally I would stick with established Well know dealers and on the plus side if you ever try to sell a well known brand like Televue,Exsplore scientific,Meade,etc get a good chunk of your money back 

To be fair, Maxvision branded eyepieces have been well known on here for a few years now and have a great reputation for good performance and excellent value.

• Like 1

On 07/05/2020 at 23:06, JeremyS said:

I’ve always wondered about the real advantage of waterproof and Ar/ N2 purged. I suspected a marketing gimmick.

Where are these non-ES Maxvision EPs a available from?

Ali Express. Just had a look and was very tempted to order the 4.7mm.. Conscience held me back!

2 hours ago, Supernova74 said:

The advantage of being Argon purged apart from being waterproof yes basically thay don,t dew over is definitely an added bonus 

Like dielectric mirror coatings, it's a solution consumers didn't know they needed until companies started marketing them to us as essential.

I’ve started to get impression that eyepieces can be a little bit like the music industry!!? For exsample an well known artist will bring a song out and another will try to copy it give it a bit of a revamp mix a track a little etc and call it there own this seems to be a similar case in eyepiece branding also and what I can gather seen two other exsamples of cloning especially in Exsplore scientific range as opticstar do a range which is called XL 82 degrees ultra wide Angle and now maxvision.another exsample is the televue naglers which apparently Exsplore scientific based there 82 degree range don,t get me wrong thay could be very similar or even the same however for my money I just wouldn’t take the risk for the sake of waiting a month or so and saving a Extra £20-30 from a China from a company you can never get in touch with over the telephone and wait at times weeks for a supplier to get in touch with you.so I apologise in advance for I come a cross harshly in this topic as I got pretty much stung on Allexpress with a very different product which was a make shift Lego launch tower to accompany my official Lego Saturn v rocket which now I’ve shown on another topic on Astro lounge even tho quite cheap the quality was very little bit to be desired for exsample loads of pieces missing inaccurate instructions and I had to source official Lego bricks to complete the model and use gorilla superglue I complained to the supplier had one message thay will sort things out for me in part refund after the Chinese New Year never never got back to me so I just say to my fello Astro lounge friends here that the eyepieces could be made in the same factory even however for a sake of saving a few pound I rather go through a strong brand name and official dealer support if things go tits up.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Just got MaxVision 6.7mm from AliExpress. The build quality seems to be the same as my ES eyepieces. After a quick look in 8" f/6 dob I didn't see any optical faws either. The stars are sharp almost to the edge.

As far as I can tell these are the budget version of ES82. Not sealed and with undercuts rather than taper.

• Thanks 1