Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problems with PrimaLuceLab’s Eagle Core

Hello Guys,

I've just bought a PLL EagleCore but I have an issue with it.

Hope you can help me.

When I connect the EagleCore to my DSLR Canon EOS 450d, long time exposure in Bulb mode are not running.

All other functions are ok, i can take picture with 1sec ot 30s, it's ok

But in Bulb mode, even I choose 1second in Bulb mode, the Eagle APP fake running but DSLR don't take picture ...

I hope this can be solved because I bought the EagleCode for long time exposures for Nebulas and nothing about Canon 450d issue was reported on PPL website

They written that Canon 450d have been tested with EagleCore and running .. so ...

I've push the firmware 2.7 again but same failure.

And I have to say that Bulb mode is running well with EOS Utility , so ..

Thank you a lot for councils.

Regards

Rémi

Hi Rémi, thanks for your post. It's a little late tonight here to begin thinking what may be the trouble with your DSLR and the Eagle Core but tomorrow I will try and get back to you. I know that when first using the Eagle Core you need to follow the manual quite strictly, as an example making sure your camera's SD card is reformatted etc. I will look through the manual and we can try to find the solution to the issue you are experiencing. You could also contact PLL but it might be best that we go through the set up process first.

Best regards,
Steve

Good morning Rémi,

Yes as you mention the Canon 450D is one of the DSLR's the Eagle Core  works with, it was included in the v2.6 upgrade on 12.7.2019. I haven't tried the Eagle Core with the Canon 450D however. There are a number of approaches you can try to get the camera working with the device but generally I would comment that using either my Canon 600D and modified 700D DSLR's the Eagle App is very sensitive to everything being done in the right order. Do it incorrectly and you can't image. Inability to set exposures or exposure time is a common result where the routine is changed.

If you have another supported DSLR you might wish to also try it on the Eagle Core as a form of trouble shooting..

There are some pre-requisites with the Eagle Core device, the paper manual I have stresses, "For a correct use, DSLR camera has to be connected to one of the EAGLE CORE USB ports, set in Manual mode (or Bulb if your DSLR camera has this mode), used with a free memory card (we suggest to format the memory card before use with the EAGLE CORE) and without auto noise removal (auto dark) or mirror lock up." I would add I now leave the camera's 'Live View' on during imaging as turning it off seems to affect the Eagle App process.

When connecting up my equipment I have noticed that you have to be careful to have all the cables to the various pieces of equipment connected before powering on the Eagle Core. I might add here that maybe the USB cable to the DSLR is swapped for another one just in case the cable is faulty or is making poor connection with the camera's USB port. You could also try another of the Eagle Core's USB ports too. I then switch on power to the Eagle Core which in turn powers on all peripherals (in my case the mount and power to the DSLR) but note at this time the DSLR is not turned on at the camera. After the Eagle Core initialises with its bleep I then access the Eagle App on my tablet and quickly turn on the power switch on the DSLR.

On the Eagle App on your pc/mobile/tablet you will see the screen with the two main divisions of 'Guiding' and 'Acquisition'. Enter the menu using the hamburger icon and synchronise time then return to the main screen and (if you are not guiding) the 'Acquisition' option. You should find that you can access to the right hand side of 'Length of exposures' the various settings such as bulb etc. and you can either choose a pre-determined exposure length or use the slider below this (to the left of 'Exposures (s)) or manually input the time you want to expose to. You similarly can alter the ISO using the drop down menu.

You might want to check that you have the DSLR's own preferences to saving the exposures as both a JPEG's and RAW files since this is what the Eagle App uses to display. The last image taken being the JPEG of your last exposure.

I hope this gives you something to work on Rémi and that you get the Eagle App working properly. If you are still having issues I strongly advise contacting PLL, I have found Fillipo a very receptive guy willing to assist. I would suggest writing down the sequence you do things to help him diagnose any issue. Do let us know how you get on. 😀

Cheers,
Steve 

P.S.

We have a thread on SGL for the Eagle core if you are interested-

Edited by SteveNickolls

Hi Steve,

First, thank you for all your councils.

I will check all my Canon 450d settings to verify.

In the EagleCore app, on the camera info tab, I Can see the DSLR list but my 450d is listed as PTP Mode.

Do you know what does it means ?

Cheers

Rémi

Hi Rémi,

Thanks for our reply. I've had a look on the Internet regarding 'PTP Mode' and here's a few links that might shed light on your issue. It might refer to Picture Transport Protocol allowing the transfer of images from DSLR's to computers-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol

And-

https://www.howtogeek.com/192732/android-usb-connections-explained-mtp-ptp-and-usb-mass-storage/ 

Now I have no idea what this listing of your Canon 450D as PTP Mode means in the Eagle Core App, whether that is what should be reported or not. When I use my DSLR's they come up as the Canon model not as PTP mode.

I have read of problems with PTP where an SD card did not have enough space and in line with PLL's recommendation in the user manual to reformat the SD card before use it seems an easy thing to first try.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls