SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Red light head lamp!

Guys,
Just a quicky. I've been burnt on Amazon with a rubbish red light head lamp and wonder if you've got a cheap reliable effective suggestion?

Note my wife does if it comes to it. Links to products welcome! Fed up with a torch in my mouth!

Cheers!

I'd strongly advise you go for a headlamp that has separate switches for white and red light, plus the ability to dim the light right down.  The former is important as sooner or later you'll turn the white light on and ruin your dark adaption.  The latter is important because nearly all headlamps are way too bright.

By far the best I've found are some of the 2019 Black Diamonds.  Confusingly, although the model name (but not the number) remains the same, many have been totally redesigned for 2019 with two buttons instead of just one.

One of the great things about them is that only the larger button turns the headlamp on; the smaller button just changes from red to white, but nothing happens when you press it if the headlamp is off. 

Additionally, they remember the last setting you used before turning off.  For instance, if you finished with the red light at its dimmest setting, that's what you get when you turn it back on.

Set up like this it means that it's impossible to turn anything on at the start but the dimmest red light - whatever button you push.

Not all the 2019 Black Diamond two button range are suitable for us though.  Some of them have battery check LEDs that light up when you first switch on.  The problem is they're bright blue!  Also note that the poorly-named Astro model doesn't have a red light.

I started by buying two models, the Cosmo 225 and the Spot Lite 160, that use 3AAA and 2AAA batteries respectively.  The numbers represent the max. brightness in lumens.

Surprisingly, the red light on the Cosmo 225 goes dimmer than that on the Spot Lite 160, although this may just be a sample variation.  The former is also on special offer at the moment because a new model, the Cosmo 250 has just been launched, that seems to be identical but has a higher output.  I've just tested this, and comparing all 3 with fresh disposable batteries the 250 is indeed slightly brighter on full power white light than the 225, but there isn't much in it.  On the dimmest red light the 225 and 250 are exactly the same.  So any of the 3 models are fine for astronomy.

There were complaints about older versions of these products having a weak closure on the battery compartments.  This appears to be rectified nicely in the new models that have a firm, precise click action.  I'd add that, here in Europe at least, these Black Diamonds have a 3 year guarantee.  That doesn't of course prove anything, but they're expected to last at least that long.

These headlamps should also be suitable for my fishing and camping as they have a waterproof rating of IPX8.  This means that they can work for at least 30 minutes submerged to a depth of 1.1 metres (3 1/2 feet).  However do note the battery compartment itself isn't waterproof and will need drying out.

So for the first time I'm satisfied with a headlamp for astronomy and can thoroughly recommend these 3 Black Diamond headtorches.   They're also very reasonably priced.

Do check though that you're buying the latest 2 button models.  Many outlets are still selling the similar 1 button type that's not good for us.  For instance Amazon UK even has a picture of a 2 button Cosmo but the description suggests it's the old 1 button model.

For the special offer Cosmo 225 go to https://www.trailblazeroutdoors.co.uk/outdoor-equipment/lighting/black-diamond-cosmo-225-headlamp-dark-olive

Edited by Second Time Around
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

I'd strongly advise you go for a headlamp that has separate switches for white and red light, plus the ability to dim the light right down.  The former is important as sooner or later you'll turn the white light on and ruin your dark adaption.  The latter is important because nearly all headlamps are way too bright.

By far the best I've found are some of the 2019 Black Diamonds.  Confusingly, although the model name (but not the number) remains the same, many have been totally redesigned for 2019 with two buttons instead of just one.

One of the great things about them is that only the larger button turns the headlamp on; the smaller button just changes from red to white, but nothing happens when you press it if the headlamp is off. 

Additionally, they remember the last setting you used before turning off.  For instance, if you finished with the red light at its dimmest setting, that's what you get when you turn it back on.

Set up like this it means that it's impossible to turn anything on at the start but the dimmest red light - whatever button you push.

Not all the 2019 Black Diamond two button range are suitable for us though.  Some of them have battery check LEDs that light up when you first switch on.  The problem is they're bright blue!  Also note that the poorly-named Astro model doesn't have a red light.

I started by buying two models, the Cosmo 225 and the Spot Lite 160, that use 3AAA and 2AAA batteries respectively.  The numbers represent the max. brightness in lumens.

Surprisingly, the red light on the Cosmo 225 goes dimmer than that on the Spot Lite 160, although this may just be a sample variation.  The former is also on special offer at the moment because a new model, the Cosmo 250 has just been launched, that seems to be identical but has a higher output.  I've just tested this, and comparing all 3 with fresh disposable batteries the 250 is indeed slightly brighter on full power white light than the 225, but there isn't much in it.  On the dimmest red light the 225 and 250 are exactly the same.  So any of the 3 models are fine for astronomy.

There were complaints about older versions of these products having a weak closure on the battery compartments.  This appears to be rectified nicely in the new models that have a firm, precise click action.  I'd add that, here in Europe at least, these Black Diamonds have a 3 year guarantee.  That doesn't of course prove anything, but they're expected to last at least that long.

These headlamps should also be suitable for my fishing and camping as they have a waterproof rating of IPX8.  This means that they can work for at least 30 minutes submerged to a depth of 1.1 metres (3 1/2 feet).  However do note the battery compartment itself isn't waterproof and will need drying out.

So for the first time I'm satisfied with a headlamp for astronomy and can thoroughly recommend these 3 Black Diamond headtorches.   They're also very reasonably priced.

Do check though that you're buying the latest 2 button models.  Many outlets are still selling the similar 1 button type that's not good for us.  For instance Amazon UK even has a picture of a 2 button Cosmo but the description suggests it's the old 1 button model.

For the special offer Cosmo 225 go to https://www.trailblazeroutdoors.co.uk/outdoor-equipment/lighting/black-diamond-cosmo-225-headlamp-dark-olive

Brilliant- thank you for leading us thru that minefield! Just ordered from your link.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

Wow, I wish every question I asked was answered with a indepth and sensible answer with experienced advice as yours. Thank you very much, just ordered from your link 👍

• Like 3

Bit pointless adding to this as you’ve had excellent advice and made your choice but another option might have been the Petzl e+lite. I was using mine just last night and it’s got some really nice features. A lever to turn it on with off positions at either end of its motion means you can have it always go to the red LED position first. It’s tiny and very light so you barely know you’re wearing it. Downside is it runs off CR2032 coin cells. I don’t suppose they’ll last very long but on low power red LED probably long enough- I’ve not used mine long enough to find out. So far it’s been excellent and the red light is enough to see the setting circles on my mount but dim enough to barely notice it’s on otherwise 👍

98B4D0EB-3A01-4073-8B58-453EA933402A.jpeg

• Like 1

One important thing to point out is that you shouldn't wear a headlamp when other people are around as it can ruin their dark adaption.  You won't be very popular if you do so at a star party! 

For this reason many people use a handheld torch instead.  However, unless you use a special headband you can't use a torch as a headlamp.  But you can easily do it the other way round and use a headlamp as a torch simply by holding it in your hand.  A headtorch also allows both your hands to be free, plus it points wherever you're looking.

• Like 3

On 08/05/2020 at 08:52, markse68 said:

Bit pointless adding to this as you’ve had excellent advice and made your choice but another option might have been the Petzl e+lite. I was using mine just last night and it’s got some really nice features. A lever to turn it on with off positions at either end of its motion means you can have it always go to the red LED position first. It’s tiny and very light so you barely know you’re wearing it. Downside is it runs off CR2032 coin cells. I don’t suppose they’ll last very long but on low power red LED probably long enough- I’ve not used mine long enough to find out. So far it’s been excellent and the red light is enough to see the setting circles on my mount but dim enough to barely notice it’s on otherwise 👍

98B4D0EB-3A01-4073-8B58-453EA933402A.jpeg

Never pointless mate, thank you for replying. It's always wise to have options!

• Like 1

Under £10 on Amazon and the brightness of the red light is perfect. Unbelievably you get two in a pack! Well built and easy to access the red light button without worrying about mistakenly turning on the white light and ruining night vision!
Thanks guys 👍

20200515_114911.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Adaaam75 said:

Under £10 on Amazon and the brightness of the red light is perfect. Unbelievably you get two in a pack! Well built and easy to access the red light button without worrying about mistakenly turning on the white light and ruining night vision!
Thanks guys 👍

20200515_114911.jpg

Unfortunately it seems too bright for me. Very good value for money though!

Will say that you still need to turn them off when speaking to people. They may be red but when you look at a person they are still close to blindingly bright. And basically uncomfortable to the person you are shining them at from close quarters. This is often forgotten.

Seems that the assumption is that they are red so it is OK to shine into someones eyes from 2 feet away. Being honest it is not. That is one area where a torch wins out. You can forget about a head torch, you cannot with a hand torch.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PEMS said:

Will say that you still need to turn them off when speaking to people. They may be red but when you look at a person they are still close to blindingly bright. And basically uncomfortable to the person you are shining them at from close quarters. This is often forgotten.

Seems that the assumption is that they are red so it is OK to shine into someones eyes from 2 feet away. Being honest it is not. That is one area where a torch wins out. You can forget about a head torch, you cannot with a hand torch.

Agreed! I did test them thoroughly and the red light intensity drops significantly with distance, making them ideal for vision without the need to lean in to what you're looking at to get enough light on them however not too bright to affect vision etc. If I'm with someone I always have the head torch itself angled at 45° so this prevents direct light into the person's eyes I'm talking to. Very happy and would recommend to anyone. You can always return them if you're not happy but they're perfect.

1 hour ago, PEMS said:

Couldn’t agree more!  Headlights are a convenience for the person wearing them and a darned nuisance for everybody else. Red light, as we know, is less likely to mess with dark adaptation but I'm not convinced that bright red light has no effect at all. And there is always that slight chance of white light unintentionally blitzing an observing colleague’s carefully preserved night vision.  

The beam of a headlight is constantly waving around with the natural movement of your head and following the direction of your gaze. And, of course, when you’re talking to someone, you’re shining the light straight in their face. At the very least, this is rude. Even with the best of intentions, it’s difficult if you’re wearing a headlight to behave normally and to avoid being a nuisance at the same time. You might not know it but the person on the receiving end of your beam will. 

At best, headlights are a distraction and a pest in a shared observing situation and should not, imv, be allowed when active observing is going on.  OK if you’re on your own, of course, or when everyone has finished for the night and is packing away. A better and more considerate option is a hand torch which, as PEMS says, you are likely to point where you need it and not involuntarily spray around everywhere else.

• Like 1

I have one of these dual LED torches from Skywatcher, the 9v battery lasts a very very long time (only on my second one since about ten years ago), rattles about a bit inside but it works fine.  I attached a lanyard to the loop on the end of the torch so I can have it hanging around my neck, I can easily pick it up to point at things and while walking with my hands full it points at the ground to light my feet, the dimmer goes very dim for those ultra dark nights (dims in white light mode too).

I really don't like head torches, they never seem to go dim enough and when there are other people about it's a pain to be constantly blinded by them.  I'm wondering about a pair of those red goggles that submariners used to wear duing WWII!  Maybe I could modify some steampunk article.

The Vixen one I have has a dimmable red light and goes very dim. Also can be used without activating white light. The Petzl E light is OK I have one of them but found the beam a bit to narrow and dim for close in work. Another good option is the one from @FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/red-light-astronomy-torches/david-chandler-night-reader-pro-led-torch.html I have one of these clipped to the scope bag so hopefully should never lose it. I suppose the most important thing is people being considerate to others whatever they use.

On 07/05/2020 at 22:33, JG777 said:

I won one of the Vixen ones in their competition a few months back , always comes on with a red light, is variable and can be switched off without activating the white light. Very solid build quality, I would buy one if I lost it, not cheap though.

https://www.astroshop.eu/instruments/vixen-astro-lamp-led-sg-l01/p,54003#tab_bar_0_select

That does look a very nice if expensive light.

I have one of the Black Diamond Cosmo 25 lumens jobbies, works well,
but when tired you can switch it white by mistake!   Makes that Vixen jobbie look quite worthy.

• Like 1

Hello Alan, hope your keeping well. Yes the Vixen one feels very premium and well thought out purely for astronomers. But yes the price..I don't think I would have bought one originally but now I have one from the competition if I lost it I think I would stump up the dollars for another one.

5 hours ago, JG777 said:

The Vixen one I have has a dimmable red light and goes very dim. Also can be used without activating white light. The Petzl E light is OK I have one of them but found the beam a bit to narrow and dim for close in work. Another good option is the one from @FLO https://www.firstlightoptics.com/red-light-astronomy-torches/david-chandler-night-reader-pro-led-torch.html I have one of these clipped to the scope bag so hopefully should never lose it. I suppose the most important thing is people being considerate to others whatever they use.

The David Chandler Night Reader Pro looks interesting.  It looks very similar to the Photon Freedom Micro I bought from the US and can recommend but which  is much more expensive when you add postage and taxes etc!

I bought a Petzal Tikka when I started this hobby. The red always comes on first and you have to long press the button to change to white. It also can swivel downwards so if you are looking around it's not shining in people's faces. Maybe a bit too bright still for a star party.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Second Time Around said:

As I posted earlier, a headlamp doesn't have to be worn on the head; if you're with others it can be held just like a torch.  So dual purpose.

Agreed. It’s when it’s on and where it’s pointing that matters. If it’s on your head all the time, it points wherever your forehead is pointing which, with normal human movement patterns, is all over the place. Unless you’re a Dalek with seized neck bearings, it’s counterintuitive to do otherwise. So, as you say, a headlamp can be dual purpose in that, if you really must access artificial light while observing, it can also be cupped in your hand so it can be pointed carefully and with some shielding. 

I see that you’re near Canterbury. I lived at Old Wives Lees all through the 80s, watched the sky, at first quite dark, grow brighter as development took hold - I wonder what it’s like now?

Edited by JTEC
  • Like 1