Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

ThomasF1234

Easy DSO’s To View From UK

Hi I live in the North East of England and I was wondering if anyone could give me and suggestions on some easy DSO’s to view tonight thank you :)

Not the best night I’m afraid because if the near full Moon (SuperMoon!)

Good ones still might be M44, the Beehive cluster or the Double Cluster although this is getting a little low currently, down at 20 odd degrees, better earlier on. Then there is M13 the Hercules globular cluster and likely better (ie higher) is M3, again not too close to the bright Moon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not the best night I’m afraid because if the near full Moon (SuperMoon!)

Good ones still might be M44, the Beehive cluster or the Double Cluster although this is getting a little low currently, down at 20 odd degrees, better earlier on. Then there is M13 the Hercules globular cluster and likely better (ie higher) is M3, again not too close to the bright Moon.

Thank you I’ll have a look out for some of those :)

The "Cats Eye" planetary nebula (NGC 6543) in Draco is small but nice. With relatively small scopes you can also see the central star at higher magnifications.

It seems to survive moonlight quite well too and its on the opposite side of the sky to the moon.

The Cat's Eye Nebula – Cosmic Pursuits

724153962_Catseyeneb.jpg.a0beaa5a03efa24602dd06f74f061d30.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, John said:

The "Cats Eye" planetary nebula (NGC 6543) in Draco is small but nice. With relatively small scopes you can also see the central star at higher magnifications.

It seems to survive moonlight quite well too and its on the opposite side of the sky to the moon.

The Cat's Eye Nebula – Cosmic Pursuits

724153962_Catseyeneb.jpg.a0beaa5a03efa24602dd06f74f061d30.jpg

Thank you I’ll look into that :)

Having just upgraded to a small refractor and a decent mount I've been discovering new DSOs myself the past couple of weeks. Check out M101, M51 and M81 - all stunning galaxies. Brilliant seeing them for myself having only previously seen them in books, etc. Worth a look!m101_reduced.thumb.jpg.061501b0ec6e08d3461fedb70c0dc4f3.jpg

• Thanks 1

Some good targets there. Better point out though that they won't look anything like that though a scope - unless you have a 30 inch dob on top of the Canaries !

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I would start by taking a look at some globular clusters, M3 in Canis Venatici’ M5 in Serpens and M13 and 92 in Hercules. You could then move on to others in Ophiuchus.

• Like 1