SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Testing ASI178MMI

astroavani

I had the opportunity to borrow a monochrome camera to do the tests I always wanted on the Moon.
Below are the first results for colleagues to analyze.
I realized from the outset the advantage of mono cameras for specific wavelengths since I normally use an ASI290MC to do all my captures. This is mainly explained by the fact that, without the layer matrix, a monochrome camera uses 100% of its pixels to perform the capture, while a color camera would use only 25% to capture on the IR 685 which was the filter used.
Despite everything, due to the great fluctuation of my seeing, varying in a matter of a few minutes, I do not discard the advantages of a color camera for color captures, since while a mono camera would make only 1 film I can make at least about 4 with the colored one. This greatly increases the chance of catching a brief favorable moment that can save an entire section of photography.
Moon on May 4, 2020.
C14 Edge + ASI 178MM + IR pass 685
Total of 2000 frames per photo with 350 stacking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 25

20 hours ago, Geoff Barnes said:

Very impressive Avani.

Any idea what magnification those views would translate to if it was through an eyepiece?

I'm not entirely sure, but something around 1000X magnification. A correct calculation could be made, but I am making a rough estimate.

14 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Amazing stuff. You are giving me aperture fever again. I have the ASI178MM, and it is a great little camera. Currently i do use the ASI183MC more, however.

So create courage and get to work!