Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power Cable Management advise

Hi guys

I am looking for some advice/tips for power cable management. I was going to use a rigrunner velcroid to the side of my mount so I could just have one power cable and a Powered USB hub for all other devices so in total only 2 cables to my mount.

However, after contacting the company for the rigrunner they said they wouldn’t sell me one as I was going to be running from the mains and it is a 12V DC input. I did explain that I would be using a 240V to 12V DC adaptor, but they said this wouldn’t be suitable.

So, I am now at a bit of a loss what to do about the cable management. Any help or advise would be great full.

Just to let you know I am in a wheelchair so using things like deep cycle batteries is a bit of a no go due to the weight

Can you buy a rigrunner from another supplier? As long as you know what you're doing, 12 V is quite safe. Depending on your setup and budget, you could go for a power box, such as Pegasus Astro or Hitec Astro. Not cheap though. But they allow for a tidy cabling solution. 

8 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Can you buy a rigrunner from another supplier? As long as you know what you're doing, 12 V is quite safe. Depending on your setup and budget, you could go for a power box, such as Pegasus Astro or Hitec Astro. Not cheap though. But they allow for a tidy cabling solution. 

I wouldn't say i 100% know what i am doing, but also don't think i am a total idiot which is why i thought using something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-240V-Adapter-Converter-Transformer-5-5x2-5mm/dp/B0787CPCTW would be fine once i have cut off the end and added the Anderson PowerPole connectors. 
Look at the options you have listed i would still need a 12v DC input and that is what has got me all confused at the moment. 

I Constructed my own, using an ABS enclosure, half a Dozen Buck converters, toggle switches,  some 5mm LED indicator lights,  a number of small Aviation grade plus and sockets. I used a Maplin 10Amp 13.8V PSU. 

The Bucks were mounted on a circuit board, and the appropriate output voltages trimmed to suit whatever device I fit to the scope,and ffrd out to the output sockets

My Canon supply is 8.2Volts, Olympus 7.4volt. Atik314L 12Volts, Startech usb hub 5.2 Volt  Dew strap hub 12 volts. Lakeside focuser 12 Volts. Filter Wheel, Usb only.  Not forgetting the EQ6 mount supply . One power cable, to the box input, and one Usb cable to the Startech Hub.        All the supply and Usb cables mirror the movement of the telescope.  The only ones that I need keep an eye on, is the EQ input, and the guide usb.   

Ron.

odd that they'd say that, 12V DC is 12V DC after all, perhaps because its a switch-mode supply? I'd try someone else and say you're going direct off a 12V marine battery with appropriate AWG cabling 😉

To save cutting the end off the PSU you mention, why not make a power-pole to 2.1mm socket flylead, that way when the PSU fails it's a simple case to buy a new one and plug it in, no need to re-cut cables and crimp/solder a new powerpole plug.

33 minutes ago, Craigyboy3542 said:

I wouldn't say i 100% know what i am doing, but also don't think i am a total idiot which is why i thought using something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/100-240V-Adapter-Converter-Transformer-5-5x2-5mm/dp/B0787CPCTW would be fine once i have cut off the end and added the Anderson PowerPole connectors. 

That should be quite enough for an heq5 and a camera. I wonder what makes a rigrunner so special that you can't use a 240/12 V adapter with it.

@wimvb Are operating your rig from an Obs, or outdoors?
If out doors, why not power your rig runner with a Deep cycle 12 volt battery,
You could keep a trickle charger connected, it will monitor itself, But the charger needs mains supply
so that would need to be ultra safe, and well away from any moisture.
Suitable cabling and an ultra dry area, (House even) would be a prim requirement.
Seems a convoluted route, but feasible.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

That should be quite enough for an heq5 and a camera. I wonder what makes a rigrunner so special that you can't use a 240/12 V adapter with it.

I'd guess its because it's all anderson pole connectors even for the power input side. I suppose they don't trust a buyer to correctly wire up an adaptor for a mains supply to AP connectors and not get it reversed and then of course blame the product.

• Like 1

Just now, DaveL59 said:

I'd guess its because it's all anderson pole connectors even for the power input side. I suppose they don't trust a buyer to correctly wire up an adaptor for a mains supply to AP connectors and not get it reversed and then of course blame the product.

True. Dew Control offer optional prewired power supplies.

56 minutes ago, barkis said:

@wimvb Are operating your rig from an Obs, or outdoors?
If out doors, why not power your rig runner with a Deep cycle 12 volt battery,
You could keep a trickle charger connected, it will monitor itself, But the charger needs mains supply
so that would need to be ultra safe, and well away from any moisture.
Suitable cabling and an ultra dry area, (House even) would be a prim requirement.
Seems a convoluted route, but feasible.

My rig is in an obsy. Mains to the pier where I have a 12V 150W Meanwell power supply. Distributer box, usb3 hub, and Rock64 computer on top of my scope.

Before I built the observatory, I had that same power supply hanging off the tripod. All mains plugs away from moisture in a plastic box. I agree, 240 V power supplies and outdoors are not a good combo. Having to dry dew off a lense is one thing, having to wipe it off a power adapter is quite another. But a sturdy plastic box with lid goes a long way.

3 hours ago, barkis said:

I Constructed my own, using an ABS enclosure, half a Dozen Buck converters, toggle switches,  some 5mm LED indicator lights,  a number of small Aviation grade plus and sockets. I used a Maplin 10Amp 13.8V PSU. 

The Bucks were mounted on a circuit board, and the appropriate output voltages trimmed to suit whatever device I fit to the scope,and ffrd out to the output sockets

My Canon supply is 8.2Volts, Olympus 7.4volt. Atik314L 12Volts, Startech usb hub 5.2 Volt  Dew strap hub 12 volts. Lakeside focuser 12 Volts. Filter Wheel, Usb only.  Not forgetting the EQ6 mount supply . One power cable, to the box input, and one Usb cable to the Startech Hub.        All the supply and Usb cables mirror the movement of the telescope.  The only ones that I need keep an eye on, is the EQ input, and the guide usb.   

Ron.

I think this is a bit beyond what i could do :(

I am like the look of the Pegasus Powerbox as saves me having to make my own cables etc. i know it more expensive but i guess it saves me screwing anything up.  

28 minutes ago, Craigyboy3542 said:

I think this is a bit beyond what i could do :(

I am like the look of the Pegasus Powerbox as saves me having to make my own cables etc. i know it more expensive but i guess it saves me screwing anything up.  

You should take the route that suits you best Craig, less chance of frustration grinding you down.
Good Luck with it matey.
Ron.

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

My rig is in an obsy. Mains to the pier where I have a 12V 150W Meanwell power supply. Distributer box, usb3 hub, and Rock64 computer on top of my scope.

Before I built the observatory, I had that same power supply hanging off the tripod. All mains plugs away from moisture in a plastic box. I agree, 240 V power supplies and outdoors are not a good combo. Having to dry dew off a lense is one thing, having to wipe it off a power adapter is quite another. But a sturdy plastic box with lid goes a long way.

Well your set up for success with all that at your disposal.
Nice one.
Ron. 👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

I went a similar route to Barkis

The power box has multiple 12v outputs plus a 5v out and a 19v out (for the PC) powered by a 12v 150aH leisure battery.

Total cost about £20

Circled in yellow here

unnamed.jpg

Some quality on show here Billy. Splendid outfit.
Ron.

2 hours ago, Craigyboy3542 said:

This is the route I took, the Pegasus has a couple of bonuses in that everything plugs in directly. No dew controller box, USB Hub or focus controller to worry about.

I like the choice of the Dog Star to construct your username😀.

That surely is a great setup, and all needs catered for.  I'm a little surprised
it is not sited in an observatory, although I Know it is not a prime requirement. That it is  an  Imaging rig is  obvious,
but is polar alignment not a headache for you on a session? Perhaps you have a method to align quickly.        

Anyway, that deviates from what a superb setup you have there, a good video presentation too is enlightening.
Thanks for posting it up, I'm sure it will inspire members who are thinking of taking the plunge  into Astro Photography.
Hope you are enjoying SGL.
Best Wishes
Ron.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, barkis said:

I like the choice of the Dog Star to construct your username😀...

... I'm a little surprised
it is not sited in an observatory, although I Know it is not a prime requirement. That it is  an  Imaging rig is  obvious,
but is polar alignment not a headache for you on a session? Perhaps you have a method to align quickly....    

Best Wishes
Ron.

Hello and thanks Ron for you kind words. Yes, I too wish it was permanently mounted in an observatory. Our backyard only had room for an observatory or a swimming pool. My wife wanted the pool.... So you can guess who lost. Oh well, "Happy wife, Happy life!". As for Polar alignment, I use SharpCap Pro's P.A. feature and it usually only takes me about 10 minutes to get it close enough that PhD2 can easily guide off of. Remember, I'm only shooting at 666mm FL so it's pretty forgiving.

The biggest hassle is just the setup. As you can imagine, with everything packed in its individual cases it usually takes me about 7 or 8 trips in and out of the house just to get the components out to the yard and 20-30 minutes to get it all hooked up and balanced.

11 hours ago, MarkAR said:

This is the route I took, the Pegasus has a couple of bonuses in that everything plugs in directly. No dew controller box, USB Hub or focus controller to worry about.

Not sure I would be able to afford the V2 with the USB hub etc. But would be nice. 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiriusDoggy said:

The biggest hassle is just the setup. As you can imagine, with everything packed in its individual cases it usually takes me about 7 or 8 trips in and out of the house just to get the components out to the yard and 20-30 minutes to get it all hooked up and balanced.

I feel your pain there. takes me a few trips also which is a pain in the Bottom being in a wheelchair...lol

• Sad 1

I went a similar route to Skipper Billy but use a Pegasus hub so do not need the external controller for the Lakeside.  They are not cheap at £500 or so new, but the V1 units do come up on the used market as people upgrade to V2.  They work great and give you full control over powering your kit and being able to reboot the USB bus remotely.

1001467763_HubUSB.thumb.jpg.189eab99cc6d4e5bb0abe61fa1f30a0d.jpg167489024_HubPower.thumb.jpg.c9cf51e6567b9033d4060f8535855415.jpg

Cable.jpg.609585ec4dd1f7204e55581f88b3c814.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SiriusDoggy said:

Hello and thanks Ron for you kind words. Yes, I too wish it was permanently mounted in an observatory. Our backyard only had room for an observatory or a swimming pool. My wife wanted the pool.... So you can guess who lost. Oh well, "Happy wife, Happy life!". As for Polar alignment, I use SharpCap Pro's P.A. feature and it usually only takes me about 10 minutes to get it close enough that PhD2 can easily guide off of. Remember, I'm only shooting at 666mm FL so it's pretty forgiving.

I kinda knew you would have a  quick alignment  method, and SharpCap has a great tool for that.
Although I have the Pro version, I haven't tried the Pole alignment element of the prog.
It's a pity you don't have room for an Obs. for that high quality equipment, but the prime reason is understandable.     

My own good lady was more than a bit miffed when I built my first one, it had a rotatable dome too, but
the galvanised segments meant it was tough to hand rotate, and I got fed up with the effort.
It wasn't a pretty sight, but neighbours were happy to have a looksee inside, and enjoy some of the sky's inhabitants.

I changed it all for a Roll off Roll On model, and as the Obs. was a double shed, It,  and supports for the roof 
rails were all painted a Spruce Green to match the surrounding fences,  so it complemented the whole garden,
which is her pride and joy.  The only pond  we have is for Goldfish, and Shubunkins. 
Sorry for the long quote, but my fault is I often harp on a bit.🙂

Ron.

• Like 1