SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which Alt-Az Mount for 6" Mak

Hi,

I have a Meade LX85 6" Mak. The OTA weighs about 13lbs without accessories. I'm getting the hang of the GEM mount, but I find it a hassle to get right and miss the ease and speed of the Alt-Az GoTo I had with my previous 5" Mak. I'm primarily a lunar observer and have no real interest as yet in astrophotography. In consequence, I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive GoTo Alt-Az mount (and legs) to carry the Mak. I will be keeping the GEM. 

Advice much appreciated. 

I have wondered about alt-az Goto mounts in this range in the past.  It seems that there isn't anything other than an Ioptron AZ Mount Pro or a Skywatcher AZ-EQ5GT, which cost twice as much as a 6" Mak. Or you could look out for an unwanted Celestron C8 SE or Evolution mount.

In the absence of any mount, the most sensible budget option would seem to be the EQ3 Pro Synscan, at around £400, which supports 7Kg (visual).

Tele-Optic Giro Mkll or AOK-AYO Mkll... I have one of each, (both manual).

You just need to add a weight to the other arm if not in use, for smooth alt-az movement in both axes.

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

As an AZ-GTi owner I would say no. I use a C6 on mine, but a 6 inch mak is much heavier. 

It's not goto, but you could dual mount the mak with a wide field frac - the frac can act as a superfinder for the mak.

Edited by Ags

If we can dispense with GOTO / motor drives than the Skytee II with upgraded clamps does at least have slow motion controls. The Ercole / Sabre / Giro II are great but I'm not sure that I'd want to use a mount without slow motion control with a mak-cassegrain ?

My C6 is similar to the mak in terms of focal length, and I use it quite happily giro-style on a Berlebach Castor.

Edited by Ags

The OP does mention  GOTO and it actually flags up the glaring gap in the mid range price bracket circa £500 and 5 to 10 kilo payload for ALT AZ mount only. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/05/2020 at 22:16, JG777 said:

The OP does mention  GOTO and it actually flags up the glaring gap in the mid range price bracket circa £500 and 5 to 10 kilo payload for ALT AZ mount only. 

That’s what I’m finding. Thanks to all for the input. Clear skies

The AZ-GTi can handle it but it will shake every time you touch the scope including to focus it. At the £500 mark you can sacrifice 23mm and go back to a 127mm Mak at £445 and get a really good for its price point 127mm Mak and light weight/compact GOTO mount with the 127mm Mak AZ-GTi combination from Skywatcher: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-gti-wifi/sky-watcher-skymax-127-az-gti.html