SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 7023 - Iris Nebula

lnlarxg

That's great, I've got about 16 hours of data from my D7500 and sliming that down to the better frames (13hrs) I'm struggling to get near that, would love to know more details.... scope/software/crop etc?

9 hours ago, jiberjaber said:

That's great, I've got about 16 hours of data from my D7500 and sliming that down to the better frames (13hrs) I'm struggling to get near that, would love to know more details.... scope/software/crop etc?

Thanks am surprised too with the clean data, largely luck to be honest, it was a absolutely perfect seeing night when I shot it, and I dithered every two frames

it was shot with SW250 quattro, processed in Pixinsight. I followed a few YouTube tutorials as I don’t have a set work flow yet

Very nice. I actually grabbed about 3 hrs on Iris last night for the first time - but with a little 72ED from maybe Bortle 8/7 skies (but with an Astronomik CLS-CCD too :) ).  Have yet to process it, but somehow I don't think it'll come out like that 🤣

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Not necessarily, the dark nebulosity does spread quite far.

Ah ok, thanks. The original image is so clean, I just had to chuckle seeing my hack at it!  Cheers & stay safe, Vin

5 minutes ago, vineyard said:

Ah ok, thanks. The original image is so clean, I just had to chuckle seeing my hack at it!  Cheers & stay safe, Vin

Hi Vin. I got a similar result with my DSLR and 3 hours worth. I think this one needs dark skies. One for a star party I think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vineyard said:

As I suspected. This is nominally the same object 😂 but from Bortle 8/7, 72ED. To borrow a line from Jaws, I'm going to need a bigger scope for this one!

Stay safe,

Vin

NGC7023_Iris Nebula_2h26_wip_DSS_PI_downsampled.png

Am thrilled my little photo still receiving attentions 😁.  I have plenty of noisy pictures that I hide from the world.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Good calibration frames and careful processing will go a long way.

Couldn’t agree more.  The pain of shooting with dslr is that I cant control the temperature and shoot darks at a later time.  

after 3 hrs on the lights, it’s tough to stay up another hr and half to shoot the darks.  

but it really is worth the effort.  I brew a cuppa, and watch an episode of something to keep me awake

• Like 1