Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raspberry Pi AllSky Camera

Pete6

4 hours ago, wormix said:

Been playing around with the html and seem to have broken it - now not displaying an image, suspect I have to clear a cache somewhere. 

Theres a bit of html and a fair bit of php.  when you say no image, so you mean the error image or nothing at all?

I thought I had replied but looks like it didnt post!

in /run/shm there should be 3 files

When you view the allsky page, it runs some php which takes the webcam.jpg and puts the banner text on it then saves that as buffer.jpg, they should be within a couple of mins of each other (make sure you have opened the allsky - camera link first before checking.

image.png.e51818c4ff85a08ba039ba53b1205e84.png

If you arn't getting something with a recent time & date on it then something else is an issue :) 

6 hours ago, jiberjaber said:

I thought I had replied but looks like it didnt post!

in /run/shm there should be 3 files

When you view the allsky page, it runs some php which takes the webcam.jpg and puts the banner text on it then saves that as buffer.jpg, they should be within a couple of mins of each other (make sure you have opened the allsky - camera link first before checking.

image.png.e51818c4ff85a08ba039ba53b1205e84.png

If you arn't getting something with a recent time & date on it then something else is an issue :) 

Ok, so have checked and I have Buffer, error and webcam and as you describe buffer refreshes first and then webcam. 

The webcam jpg is fairly large at 257kb vs the buffer of 26kb. Not sure if that makes a difference?

Ok, so tinkered again and replaced the html Folder and now everything is working again

My Pi games seem to be a lot of hit and hope At the moment! 

That's good to hear, perhaps an inadvertent keypress when editing a file ?

No idea, but it’s all working well now, been stable for about 5hrs and creating the video too. 

Now need to sort out a housing and solar power supply, then figure out port forwarding which always leaves me stumped. 

For info this is running on an original non-Wi-fi pi Zero with Wi-fi dongle attached. 

Thanks for your help

• Like 3

Mine stopped taking new pictures around 04:25 this morning, no idea why.  I've rebooted and had the usual error.jpg so I've added the a line to rc.local to take a picture and create the webcam.jpg file on boot so will see if this manages to kick teh webcam back in to life post reboot... 

/usr/bin/raspistill -q 100 -ISO auto -awb greyworld -n -ex auto -w 800 -h 600 -o /run/shm/webcam.jpg

Software seems very unreliable on my original zero so may try and source a 3b to see how that goes. 

was having no joy last night, then tinkered again this morning and after multiple reboots the pictures are being generated again (had the error image all last night). Just waiting to see if video will be generated

Mines has been running reliably on the Pi4. Found the source of my water ingress - had stripped away a bit of the silicone sealant when screwing the top on; we've had a significant amount of rain the last few days and quite a bit was getting in.

I've added a fan - I printed a little intake chamber with a mesh to stop bugs getting in, and then a an exhaust port on the side to stop rain getting in and again a mesh to stop the bugs getting in. Fan is on 24/7 - not sure how long it will last, may need to add some feedback to only turn it on based on the enclosure temp.

• Like 2

Think I’ve cracked it - needed to manually start a couple scripts to give it a kick and found a bit of temperature script that I hadn’t commented out that seems to have got the browser end working. 

now thinking about cameras - currently using a pi 1.3 camera as that’s what I had at home. Saw earlier in this thread that the V2 low light performance is significantly better.  Is it worth the upgrade?

Would the NOIR version be best suited for this project?

Also just found that you can get a pi zero camera (same sensor as the v1 camera) including a 160 degree lens for peanuts so if the low light performance is tolerable that could be a really cheap way of getting this project finished off  

2 hours ago, wormix said:

Think I’ve cracked it - needed to manually start a couple scripts to give it a kick and found a bit of temperature script that I hadn’t commented out that seems to have got the browser end working. 

now thinking about cameras - currently using a pi 1.3 camera as that’s what I had at home. Saw earlier in this thread that the V2 low light performance is significantly better.  Is it worth the upgrade?

Would the NOIR version be best suited for this project?

Also just found that you can get a pi zero camera (same sensor as the v1 camera) including a 160 degree lens for peanuts so if the low light performance is tolerable that could be a really cheap way of getting this project finished off  

Well this is last nights movie from a V2 noir camera, I have both cameras but I've only used the noir camera in this setup. I'd say the advantage of the V2 camera is it bins at lower resolutions. The NOIR doesn't seem to do much other than make colours look funny when you point it at trees etc :) 

13 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Jason,

Not used to linux i've tried to follow the script but what a ball ache. errors when inputting commands from the hosts github site...

can you explain if possible how you solved it

regards

Andy

Make sure you download the entire package and follow the instructions in the README file as they are formatted better than direct off github. 

I found copying the file lock stock over to the home directory and then following the instructions in README to work for the most part, just had to create the temporary movie files and edit out some text in the webcam.php file as I’m not running a temp sensor. 

Daytime was seemless yesterday and today - nighttime was working but video is only 5 seconds long, need to explore why that may be. 

Mine was also a virgin raspbian build 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So last night the pictures stopped being taken before 1am and started again after 3.  @jiberjaber, I seem to recall you had this problem, was it linked to file size in the end?

pi@raspberrypi:/home/allsky/pics/night $ ls -ahl

total 6.2M

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun 20 03:51 .

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4.0K Jun 20 09:24 ..

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 326K Jun 19 22:37 webcam-1592602381.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 326K Jun 19 22:37 webcam-1592602561.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 364K Jun 19 22:47 webcam-1592602741.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 393K Jun 19 22:47 webcam-1592602921.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 393K Jun 19 22:47 webcam-1592603101.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 366K Jun 19 22:57 webcam-1592603282.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 366K Jun 19 22:57 webcam-1592603461.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 362K Jun 19 22:57 webcam-1592603642.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 380K Jun 19 22:57 webcam-1592603821.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 380K Jun 19 23:00 webcam-1592604001.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 328K Jun 19 23:10 webcam-1592604181.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 248K Jun 19 23:10 webcam-1592604361.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 248K Jun 19 23:10 webcam-1592604541.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 157K Jun 19 23:20 webcam-1592604721.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 157K Jun 19 23:20 webcam-1592604901.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 222K Jun 20 00:20 webcam-1592608321.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 222K Jun 20 00:20 webcam-1592608501.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 226K Jun 20 00:20 webcam-1592608681.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 243K Jun 20 00:30 webcam-1592608861.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 243K Jun 20 00:30 webcam-1592609042.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 142K Jun 20 03:51 webcam-1592621282.jpg

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 150K Jun 20 03:51 webcam-1592621461.jpg

pi@raspberrypi:/home/allsky/pics/night $

10 hours ago, wormix said:

Make sure you download the entire package and follow the instructions in the README file as they are formatted better than direct off github. 

I found copying the file lock stock over to the home directory and then following the instructions in README to work for the most part, just had to create the temporary movie files and edit out some text in the webcam.php file as I’m not running a temp sensor. 

Daytime was seemless yesterday and today - nighttime was working but video is only 5 seconds long, need to explore why that may be. 

Mine was also a virgin raspbian build 

will do as was driving me mad errors all over the place

Well pleased - connected up a temp sensor, copied over the standard HTML files and it’s all working!

Now need to see what happens with tonight’s video - I suspect it may be the file size issue that jiberjaber mentions a few pages back - the video stopped just after I went to bed last night and started when the sun started to come up so I’m guessing a primarily black image is coming up as a very small image. 

Well pleased - connected up a temp sensor, copied over the standard HTML files and it’s all working!

Now need to see what happens with tonight’s video - I suspect it may be the file size issue that jiberjaber mentions a few pages back - the video stopped just after I went to bed last night and started when the sun started to come up so I’m guessing a primarily black image is coming up as a very small image. 

Yep, comment out the RM based on file size. It's in more than one place

I have mine up and running, but pointing out of the spare room winow for now. Looks like the double glazing is giving a green cast to the light domes of London and Chelmsford

And not only can I see it's a clear night, but a near neighbour has left their bright bathroom light on. Again. 🤬

image.thumb.png.e389a7f6a5bc80cf5138b8276355bb2c.png

I've tinkered with the settings to give a 1600x1200 display so that the image is bigger on my tablet and phone. Need to fix the sunset time

Edited by Mognet
Image paste problems