Jump to content

stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

Recommended Posts

I know it's not the best photo, but I think it's nice to be my first photo of a comet... 

Nikon D90, Nikkor 18-105mm, ISO 400, f5.6, 5 seconds exposure without tracking. 

IMG_20200706_102119_photos_v2_x4_colored_toned.jpg

Edited by HaleBopp2007
  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The    W__I__D__E    picture .    Get the IMAX monitor out!! Stitch along the horizon.   Could not wait any longer to get Venus and Uranus....they were tantalisingly close to rising..otherwise I

So many amazing captures! Weather forecast for the next few days and it's ever growing distance from the sun meant last night was probably my last opportunity to see. Set out to Beachy Head to se

Bit more fun with the Comet, I went by a dam in the mountains because I wanted to get the reflection on the water.    Plus the views from a dark site beat city viewing every time!

Posted Images

I managed to get at look at Neowise this morning just rising over my neighbors roof.

 it's my first comet through a telescope !

I tried to capture it but by the time I had my camera ready, it was already lost in the Suns glare.

Hopefully I'll be better prepared tomorrow morning.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Really pleased so many astronomy enthusiasts are getting to see this rare sight.  Up here in the North West it was raining at 3am and the earliest I'll get a weather window is next Saturday morning.  Praying to the astronomy gods that it doesn't fizzle out by then.  Keep the reports coming.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done to all who managed to capture the spectacle.

I drove out to the South Downs, had a great view across to the NE horizon but alas I mis-timed everything and arrived around 10mins too late. The sun had faded the last glimpses of Neowise and although trusted binos in hand, I saw nothing. 

The weather forecast down here on the south coast isn't showing clear night skies until early hours of Saturday morning, and by then it'll be visible all night. Let's hope it keeps it's mag and I'm not left waiting another 25 years to see a comet.

My consolation prize for staying up all night and an hour round-trip roadtrip at 3am, was Venus across the morning sunrise. Not quite Neowise, but silver linings and all that

 

venus-beachy-head.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So if I've got my ephems correctly plotted we should be in for quite a lot of still-relatively-bright viewing in the evening in the coming weeks. And if I stick my head out the door at 3AM tomorrow, might catch it - but it's in an awful place for my telescope where it is. Should be fine for the evening sessions though!

2020-07-06 12_10_37-Stellarium 0.20.2.png

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Until it gets higher, I will have to walk to the top of the road to even see it. Fortunately, the top of the road does have a decent view to E and NE. Unfortunately, CO says my next early morning clear slot is next Saturday... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the same as others here. It will need to climb higher to make it possible... just hope it keeps the brightness for this. From the above map I think I'm looking towards the 19th!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow morning looks possible for me, so I think I will set an alarm and head up to the heath with my 72mm, could even take the ScopeTech Zero Mount and weekend how that does, nice and light anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dd999 said:

Well done to all who managed to capture the spectacle.

I drove out to the South Downs, had a great view across to the NE horizon but alas I mis-timed everything and arrived around 10mins too late. The sun had faded the last glimpses of Neowise and although trusted binos in hand, I saw nothing. 

The weather forecast down here on the south coast isn't showing clear night skies until early hours of Saturday morning, and by then it'll be visible all night. Let's hope it keeps it's mag and I'm not left waiting another 25 years to see a comet.

My consolation prize for staying up all night and an hour round-trip roadtrip at 3am, was Venus across the morning sunrise. Not quite Neowise, but silver linings and all that

 

venus-beachy-head.jpg

My guess is that if you'd swung the camera to the left a bit you'd have caught it in this image. I had a close look at your image and stretched it a bit. You've picked up Aldebaran to the lower left of Venus so, considering the other images that were sucessfull, I think it was there for the taking! :)

If you'd had Cappela center frame you'd have had Neowise too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a small gap in the clutter on my NNW horizon from home, maybe useful later in the apparition but NE is a non starter. I'd have to drive out to find a good spot. 

I'm tempted but I'm in work at 06:30 tomorrow. So maybe an early start and stay up until work.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Paul M said:

My guess is that if you'd swung the camera to the left a bit you'd have caught it in this image. I had a close look at your image and stretched it a bit. You've picked up Aldebaran to the lower left of Venus so, considering the other images that were sucessfull, I think it was there for the taking! :)

If you'd had Cappela center frame you'd have had Neowise too.

🤦‍♂️ ..... that's comforting lol

Yes I saw Aldebaran in the shot in Lightoom (I tried too stretching and zooming to see if I had picked up). If that's the case and it was further to the East then I was pointing - then Stellarium was way out! ....... at the time I took this Stellarium had Venus spot on but it showed Neowise almost dead center in the shot above! 

Edited by dd999
Link to post
Share on other sites

My street ends at the prom and a North-facing beach.  I'll be heading down there tonight, as it's hopefully going to be the first clear night in a few weeks.

If it's visible to the naked eye, I might even waken the kids, if they are asleep already.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dd999 said:

at the time I took this Stellarium had Venus spot on but it showed Neowise almost dead center in the shot above! 

I won't argue with that. My interprettion of the image scale and the dawn glow was that Neowise was off to the left. I did an extreme stretch in Photoshop looking for a hint but only picked out one other star that I decided must be 112 Tau which seemed to confirm the size and location of the frame. I used Stellarum too but I wasn't there! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Paul M said:

I won't argue with that. My interprettion of the image scale and the dawn glow was that Neowise was off to the left. I did an extreme stretch in Photoshop looking for a hint but only picked out one other star that I decided must be 112 Tau which seemed to confirm the size and location of the frame. I used Stellarum too but I wasn't there! :)

I think you're right. In the cold light of day, and with a fresh pair of eyes, I've just looked again at the time I took this (3:50am) and used SkySafari (it wasn't Stellarium) again to replot where I was.

Really zooming in I think I've caught Elnath, as well as possibly Haedus in the real top left. If that's the case then I was merely a small swoop away from catching it  ....... boy don't I feel even worse 😉

 

Edited by dd999
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pixies said:

My street ends at the prom and a North-facing beach.  I'll be heading down there tonight, as it's hopefully going to be the first clear night in a few weeks.

If it's visible to the naked eye, I might even waken the kids, if they are asleep already.

I didn't wake up my children. The light dawn doesn't allow me me to call it spectacular. They would not enjoy it as much as I did. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple from the loft at about 02.45 today untracked with pentax k5+300mm zoom 1.6 secs, the clouds cleared about 02.30...

1884560148_NeowiseF3.thumb.jpg.8094381433435128772754cac7001676.jpg

neowise small.jpg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Scosmico said:

I didn't wake up my children. The light dawn doesn't allow me me to call it spectacular. They would not enjoy it as much as I did. 

I'll check with them before bed whether they would be interested. My daughter is more likely - but the shot of the aurora in my profile pic was taken with my son after I got him out of bed to see it. They are on their summer hols (Scottish schools have different term times) and my son is rarely asleep before 2am! He is 15 now, though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dd999 said:

SkySafari (it wasn't Stellarium)

Ah yes, my bad.

As it happens and as you'd expect, both have it in the same spot anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.