Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep9_banner.thumb.jpg.05c1bdd298547fd225896a3d99c9bc17.jpg

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Dragged myself out of bed and up to the heath but defeated by clouds. Some gaps around but not in the right place annoyingly.

@Pixies what tine was it at its best for you? I was in place by soon after 3am. Too late?

I saw it at 3am when a low band of cloud lifted, but 5 minutes later it was fading in the lightening sky. I'm in Edinburgh, so will have lighter skies than you.

My back garden has a limited view because of high stone walls, houses, trees, etc. So I spent a lot of last night wandering down to the beach to get a good unobstructed view of the North horizon. I walked down towards the sea (it was low tide) and it was sickening looking back to see Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - none of which I could see from the back garden.

• Like 1

Clouded NE horizon here at 3:00 am so went back to bed. Still cloudy when I woke again so no go here today.

Good to hear that others are getting sightings in though :icon_biggrin:

It might not be Hale-Bopp II but it's the best over the past 7 years apparently so well worth discussion and reporting IMHO. Also you never quite know what it's going to do next ......

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Pixies said:

I saw it at 3am when a low band of cloud lifted, but 5 minutes later it was fading in the lightening sky. I'm in Edinburgh, so will have lighter skies than you.

My back garden has a limited view because of high stone walls, houses, trees, etc. So I spent a lot of last night wandering down to the beach to get a good unobstructed view of the North horizon. I walked down towards the sea (it was low tide) and it was sickening looking back to see Mars, Jupiter and Saturn - none of which I could see from the back garden.

I know how you feel, all this great equipment in my obs and can not get on it as yet and don't think that i will be able to unless it can be captured during daylight. "i love imaging comets ,am sick also".

Bob.

33 minutes ago, John said:

It might not be Hale-Bopp II but it's the best over the past 7 years ... so well worth discussion and reporting.....

Absolutely right.    From UK skies the planets are not favourable at the moment.  The Sun is quite.  There is not much astro dark around for the Northern latitudes. The weather is generally cloudy  and wet ...err Summer?!!.   The Moon spends too much of its time 'almost' full and not that interesting..... and don't mention encroaching light pollution and StarLink.......

Let's celebrate the fact we have a rare and noteworthy celestial event.  

" We choose to observe the comet in this week and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; " 

• Like 1

I tried to spot it between 3.15 and 3.30. It was nice and clear to the North so I took my binoculars down to the end of the street where I had a clearer view and scanned for 15 minutes. Nothing seen. Don’t know if my sky was too bright by this time to see it or if it was still too low ( I reckon I could see down to 5 degrees above horizon) but very surprised not to even see the coma. I could see Capella clearly and Venus too but no comet. May try again tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Graham Darke said:

I tried to spot it between 3.15 and 3.30. It was nice and clear to the North so I took my binoculars down to the end of the street where I had a clearer view and scanned for 15 minutes. Nothing seen. Don’t know if my sky was too bright by this time to see it or if it was still too low ( I reckon I could see down to 5 degrees above horizon) but very surprised not to even see the coma. I could see Capella clearly and Venus too but no comet. May try again tomorrow. 

It is tricky to spot in the lightening sky, easy to sweep past it, but once you find it it's pretty obvious or at least it was the night before

Dave

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Graham Darke said:

For me, 3:15 was near optimal, and I did manage to find it, but that translates to 2:15 or a bit later UK time. At 3:30 it was getting a bit light already and the comet looked paler. I would guess 4:15 here would be close to the time you observed, and the comet was definitely not visible here anymore

• Like 3

The "window" of visibility is quite short between the time it rises and when dawning light overcomes it. It's not a daylight comet yet !

4 minutes ago, John said:

The "window" of visibility is quite short between the time it rises and when dawning light overcomes it. It's not a daylight comet yet !

For me, it was vanishing from binocular view (10x50), 90 minutes before sunrise.  Sunrise here at 4:40am this morning

This is what CO is giving me for the early hours of tomorrow which is very similar to this morning‘s forecast so fingers crossed...

68A5501B-F3A6-4DD9-9380-D47CDE6B373F.jpeg

CO is telling me that I have "red" and 100% cloud cover for  the next 24 hours so I won't need to set my alarm :rolleyes2:

10 minutes ago, John said:

CO is telling me that I have "red" and 100% cloud cover for  the next 24 hours so I won't need to set my alarm :rolleyes2:

Me too unfortunately . If forecasts are correct Saturday morning is the next opportunity