SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Synscan power supply

I have a Sky-Watcher Skyliner 250PX FlexTube GOTO on the way and want to get some power options in place.

I need a cigarette lighter to jack  plug cable but don't want to have to make one up. Anyone know where I could buy one?

Secondly, I need to sort out from my big box of mains power supplies an appropriate mains option. Does anyone know the current rating required? I know the power tank is rated at 17 ah but this just means it can supply one amp for 17 hours, doesn't tell me the actual current draw of the goto unit and motors.

any info appreciated.,

Edited by skywest
wrong word

My SW 300 flex tube SynScan used up to 2 Amps continuous during slewing . I used a 13.8V 4 Amp (peak 9 Amp) bench supply. If you are adding other stuff such as dew control then you need to account for that too. Your cable requirements can be satisfied by online Astro providers such as FLO the sponsors of this forum.

2 hours ago, skywest said:

I may try my bench power supply first then as that way I can see the current draw in action.

Be very careful with mains equipment outdoors that wasn't designed for outdoor use!  RCD = essential!! 

• Like 2

These are some current measurements that I made on my mounts, including my Skyliner 250PX with Synscan handset.

1923876319_ConsumptionTable.jpg.ff0e1c8811b440bcd4cbe01001fc6e97.jpg

These are some of my power sources:-

1152173742_PowerSources-Annotated(R).jpg.652d764192edc66824a1adf4013a44ee.jpg

Most of the time I use the 12V, 2A plug-top supply, at the end of a mains extension lead, with the supply (and lead end) in an old shoe box - to avoid any dew problems. I found that I needed to extend the 12V lead to avoid cord-wrap, and used white, heavy-duty, multi-strand, bell flex - the white shows up better in the dark (reduced trip hazard); and, because bell flex does not need the extra insulation outer sleeve required on mains wire, it is more flexible.

Geoff

• Like 1

Hi I use a Celestron power pack the power leads on a Celestron is the same as skywatcher tip is live on the plug

And a gell power pack to run the cooling fan on the mirror also it will charge my phone etc while out 

IMG_20200505_102338.jpg

IMG_20200505_102356.jpg

• Like 1

I use a car jump start pack

When been away for a week at Astro festivals, has powered my SynScan controller entire time, without need to recharge

Can also get an adapter with multiple multiple lighter outlets, which I use as well

The one I have came from Aldi, and recently had to replace the battery after 10 years of use

Mine has dual 12 Volt outlets, USB and amber work lights lights as well

John 

Jump Start Pack.jpg

4 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

These are some current measurements that I made on my mounts, including my Skyliner 250PX with Synscan handset.

Most of the time I use the 12V, 2A plug-top supply, at the end of a mains extension lead, with the supply (and lead end) in an old shoe box - to avoid any dew problems. I found that I needed to extend the 12V lead to avoid cord-wrap, and used white, heavy-duty, multi-strand, bell flex - the white shows up better in the dark (reduced trip hazard); and, because bell flex does not need the extra insulation outer sleeve required on mains wire, it is more flexible.

Geoff

Now there is an aeromodeller!!!  3s lipo - neat soldering - servo extension leads..... 😉 

44 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

I use a car jump start pack

When been away for a week at Astro festivals, has powered my SynScan controller entire time, without need to recharge

Can also get an adapter with multiple multiple lighter outlets, which I use as well

The one I have came from Aldi, and recently had to replace the battery after 10 years of use

Mine has dual 12 Volt outlets, USB and amber work lights lights as well

John 

Jump Start Pack.jpg

I have a similar one, I need to make up a lead for it and will try it out. Mine is bright yellow as well so less chance of tripping over it in the dark!

5 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Now there is an aeromodeller!!!  3s lipo - neat soldering - servo extension leads..... 😉 

4 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

Geoff

Oh that's really good info, thanlks. I have loads of 12V 2A bricks from old monitors, I'll try one of those. Wasm't sure if 2A was sufficient so that';s god news.

27 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Now there is an aeromodeller!!!  3s lipo - neat soldering - servo extension leads

Close. Model sailing yachts. Any battery that can supply sail winch and rudder servo current should be fine for most mounts, as long as the terminal voltage is within the mount's range.

Geoff

The only thing with lipos is if you go below 3.2 volts per cell the lipo is stuffed and won't recharge , I use the Celestron power pack as it can be run flat and can be left like it for 6 months , you don't have to charge it every time you use it and is so light in weight has red and white light built in and dew proof so no worries about it getting wet 

The other pack is a car starter pack you can put it in your pocket it's that light , I run the fan on the mirror and can use the usb at the same time , they do them in Amazon 

• Like 1