SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

High Res Lunar

smerral

Last night the seeing was excellent so as well as doing Venus I captured some high res luna.  Scope was the C8 at 3000mm.  Camara was the Altair GPcam V2. Filter was the Baader 610long pass. 500/2000 frames stacked  for each image.

a5-gjV-aEEuN_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

-ZU701xRmHtU_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

KPq_-fQtyAUB_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

XmzBNGYdOdlD_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

Pag_nV-WWiwF_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

hsSzLwdjhDUs_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

qnzK_m3sd8h3_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

1N0HmO2aL7O-_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

QBdcfKA78em7_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

aNepRcUKCTNN_1824x0_kWXURFLk.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks everyone.  Yes, I think these are probably my best lunar images to date.

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Very very nice set of images... beautifully sharp with great resolution. Seeing was obviously great, were you not tempted to try shorter wavelength filters? 

I never thought of that Craig, plus I'm not sure I have the right filters?  Could you explain a bit more?

16 minutes ago, smerral said:

Thanks everyone.  Yes, I think these are probably my best lunar images to date.

I never thought of that Craig, plus I'm not sure I have the right filters?  Could you explain a bit more?

The size of the airy disk is dependent on the wavelength of light, with shorter wavelength light producing smaller airy disks... So theoretically you can resolve smaller details by using shorter wavelength filters (orange, green, blue). However the seeing needs to be correspondingly improved in order to use the shorter wavelengths.

Usually I try red first and see how steady it looks, then I try orange and if that looks sharp I try green. I'd like to try blue but havent had good enough seeing for that yet. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

The size of the airy disk is dependent on the wavelength of light, with shorter wavelength light producing smaller airy disks... So theoretically you can resolve smaller details by using shorter wavelength filters (orange, green, blue). However the seeing needs to be correspondingly improved in order to use the shorter wavelengths.

Usually I try red first and see how steady it looks, then I try orange and if that looks sharp I try green. I'd like to try blue but havent had good enough seeing for that yet. 

Ah,  I'm with you now.  I have an RGB filter wheel, so I could indeed have tried green and blue.  I'm just so used to using the red because it is best for seeing normally.  Next time I get good conditions I will have a go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wornish said:

Fantastic images.

You say you were at 3000mm how did you achieve that I thought the C8 was 2000mm?

Thanks Dave.  I had a 2x barlow lens (without the extension tube) screwed onto the end of the camera adapter.  This gives around 1.5x.  I find this to be an ideal resolution for the C8 when imaging the moon.

• Thanks 1