SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My New Pulsar 2.1m Obsy - Finished :-)

Jkulin

Really sorry to read this, John.  It was all giong so well and looked so promising.  I guess there are things like the slewing noise and vibration that those of us with ROR observatories woudln't even give a thought to.

Fongers crossed you get a suitable and reasonably costed solution.

"Ouch". Truly sorry to hear about all the troubles John. I really enjoyed the read and was most certainly looking forward to the first light. I hope when your builder comes in and creates that gap between the original pier and dome foundation, that should resolve the issue. Good luck mate. 

Thanks Ray, it so tempting to change to a RoR but I physically can't build it, so the dome it has to be.

Hi Ahmed, I've had first light...just but the stars were poor, which I now know why, here was a quick 1200s sub, with a medium stretch is SGP, I haven't processed any of the subs yet as I am still waiting to finish the Ha and SII, but with stars like that I doubt I will even bother for now.

image.png.11122f638a62d2d907fda897c3ce7790.png

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Jkulin said:

I spoke to my builder this morning and whatever I decide, he is going to come around and grind a 1" channel between the original concrete block and the new concrete base, so that it doesn't touch at all, he reckons it will only take him an hour and he suggested to fill the void with expanded foam or polystyrene, what are peoples thoughts?

I'm really sorry to hear about this latest set-back, John. I did isolate my pier block by pouring the pier first, waiting for it to set and then cladding it with polystyrene foam sheets - this works perfectly. I would recommend foam but be careful that the foam doesn't become too dense as it expands.

With regard to the banging when the drive skips a tooth, could you not include a free-rotating rubber roller to clamp the glass fibre lip and cam-belt between the drive cog and roller to stop the skipping from happening? It is fairly critical that the walls form as perfect a circle as it is possible to achieve but a clamp roller would help here, I feel sure.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Steve, indeed I will then get some polystyrene sheet and insert that, only to stop back fill of any soil, I'll give a miss to the expanded foam. Sadly that is a lesson learned, but at least that can be fixed.

I sorted out nearly all the banging now, the complaint last night was because of the constant whine from the stepper motors, which I am unsure that I can't do any thing about, if the rubber dampers help then great, that's why I am holding fire buying the replacement dome until I have checked it out.

Edited by Jkulin
typos

I spent even more money and got wider dampers from RS Components, initially they seemed to make a difference but after a few backwards and forwards it became noisier and nosier, I have taken some videos, but I'll be blowed if they will upload to my PC.

So I have made the decision to sell this and will when I have the videos uploaded put it into Classifieds, it truly has been a very disappointing affair after so much work, not to mention money as well.

I'll order the replacement in the morning and just hope that I can recover some of the costs.

Don't get me wrong if you live in an area where you either have very few neighbours or it won't cause you a problem, then it would be perfect for you, but if in close proximity to neighbours who would object then I would think twice as I wouldn't want to deceive anyone.

20 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

I spent even more money and got wider dampers from RS Components, initially they seemed to make a difference but after a few backwards and forwards it became noisier and nosier, I have taken some videos, but I'll be blowed if they will upload to my PC.

So I have made the decision to sell this and will when I have the videos uploaded put it into Classifieds, it truly has been a very disappointing affair after so much work, not to mention money as well.

I'll order the replacement in the morning and just hope that I can recover some of the costs.

Don't get me wrong if you live in an area where you either have very few neighbours or it won't cause you a problem, then it would be perfect for you, but if in close proximity to neighbours who would object then I would think twice as I wouldn't want to deceive anyone.

Sorry to here this after all your hard work 😭

• Like 1

Ah John you really ought to get a non-motorised dome like mine.
Think of the exercise you get from rotating the dome every 15 minutes or so, and scraping your back on the doorframe in the process.
Oh and trapping yourself inside the dome if the shutter is opposite the door, as in that position the lower shutter rail brackets prevent the door opening! I could raise the brackets of course, but then the shutter wouldn't open past the zenith.
And the muscles you develop trying to pull the shutter closed if it's past the zenith.
Maybe not with your back.
Mine's the very first Pulsar 2.1M version
Try as I might I could not get the wall or the dome to be circular when the segments were tightened together, before bolting to the concrete.
So one of the wheels falls off the track at a certain point.
Doesn't help that the wheels are on the outside, so nothing to stop that - moving one wheel inwards pushes the opposite one out, so that one falls off the track instead.
I believe the newer ones have the wheels inside ?

Not Pulsar's finest hour, but I wouldn't be without it.

Michael

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Ah John you really ought to get a non-motorised dome like mine.
Think of the exercise you get from rotating the dome every 15 minutes or so, and scraping your back on the doorframe in the process.
Oh and trapping yourself inside the dome if the shutter is opposite the door, as in that position the lower shutter rail brackets prevent the door opening! I could raise the brackets of course, but then the shutter wouldn't open past the zenith.
And the muscles you develop trying to pull the shutter closed if it's past the zenith.
Maybe not with your back.
Mine's the very first Pulsar 2.1M version
Try as I might I could not get the wall or the dome to be circular when the segments were tightened together, before bolting to the concrete.
So one of the wheels falls off the track at a certain point.
Doesn't help that the wheels are on the outside, so nothing to stop that - moving one wheel inwards pushes the opposite one out, so that one falls off the track instead.
I believe the newer ones have the wheels inside ?

Not Pulsar's finest hour, but I wouldn't be without it.

Michael

I have a lot of respect for you!!!  I certainly will now complain less about my dome after hearing all these trial and tribulations 

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

Sorry to hear of all the issues you had with your Pulsar Dome and the fact that it is up for sale :(

Are you looking at going down a different route, say ROR?

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks, no I'm still going the Pulsar route but will go for a later model for updated running gear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the old dome is now sold to a very pleasant Gentlemen called Bob who is moving to Norfolk, from Peterborough.

The new dome has been ordered and paid for with the latest motors etc.

Bob is coming over on the 2nd September to see it dismantled and then will collect within a couple of days after that.

This will give me time for my builder to isolate the pier whilst all the flooring is up (a job that I should have paid heed to advice in the first place)

So I am hoping between 4-6 weeks and it should all be up and running again.

The offsets should just be transferable so no worry on that part, so should just be in time for the autumn 🙂

• Like 2

Just now, steppenwolf said:

Great news, John and welcome to Pulsar Dome ownership, Bob!

Thanks Steve, I think Bob will be joining the Norwich Astro Society when he moves, I have said to him that it might be beneficial to join up here.

• Like 1

My good mate always says to me, "Why the rush, the stars aren't going anywhere soon"

I will still be able to image, as I shall revert to just using my pier and covering it up at night time.

The biggest positive is rectifying my own stupidity in not isolating the pier.

I've learnt a tremendous amount, and thankfully my wife has been fully supportive, which is unusual when I spend money, but I work hard and considerably long hours with very few if any holidays, so what's a little extra being spent when needed?

• Like 1

I read through the build story a few weeks ago and sorry to see that the end result has been sub-optimal as it looked like such a good build. I hope your new plans work out OK.

I'm unlikely to build an obs in the garden of this house, but I might have a pier built, when I work out the best location (once I've got a scope...) 

• Thanks 1

I hope your new dome and drives are quieter, stepper motors can be a bit more buzzy than the analogue versions.

It is quite un-nerving how loud things sound in the early hours. My shutter closes with a distinct ‘clunk’ but so far no complaints, and to my ears it’s no worse than screeching cats or a car driving through the estate with the base turned up to the max.

• Thanks 1

Well today, I am absolutely shattered, I have had to remove everything that was bolted, screwed, soldered, channelled and glued etc. inside the dome so that it is bare, then thinking it would only take a couple of mins to get the matting up....how wrong was I? I started to get it up at 15:00 and have only just finished, it was very much akin to fighting a whacking great big tiger who's rear end had been superglued to the floor and you spotted a sixpence under it that you wanted!!!! My God what a fight to get it up!🤬

The original matting being previously used didn't stick that well, so when I changed it for new stuff, I really did give the spray can a really good dose of contact adhesive!

So I have my lads coming round tomorrow to lift the dome off and help me separate everything, ready for Bob collecting on Tuesday.

Pulsar say that they are aiming for the 21st September to deliver my replacement, so I have plenty of time to get the isolation sorted on the pier and rebuild all the electrics so that I can just screw them in. I plan to use NoNails to fix the battening up for the panel, hopefully that will hold things fine.

• Like 2